Stop Flashimation!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
daytonafathead
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Stop Flashimation!

Post by daytonafathead »

Flashimation should not be allowed on TV! Get someone who can DRAW! That's why "Gary the Rat" failed. Because It was Flashimation! There are many others, but I'm ranting because of the straw that broke the camel's back. FLASHIMATION ANIME. :shock: Hi Hi Puffy Ami Yumi premered last night. That's were you have to draw the line at: Anime. The plot lines and jokes weren't completely horrible. But do something like "Teen Titans" if you can't get an anime artist! CN has some REALLY BADLY animated shows, but this is too far.

On an unrelated subject, where's the Ranting Swead (Sheep in the Big City) when you need him?! :shock:

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Ami's hot.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

"Gary the Rat" failed because it was boring, not because it was flashanimation.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

There's this flash cartoon in MTVBrasil that has its VJs as superheroes. There's a slight chance that the only one you might know is Daniela Cicarelli- she'll get married with Ronaldo (THAT Ronaldo) next month. The animation is bad, but they have some great jokes about musicians and the rest of the world. For example, once a personality-changer maniac changed the minds of three world leaders (Junior, Tony Blair and brazillian president Lula) for those of Johnny Knoxville and his retarded friends from "Jackass". The result, in the least, was'nt pretty.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Flash animation doesn't bother me if the shows that use it are funny and clever.

But most aren't. See The Proud Family for more details.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

The Proud Family is Flashimation?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

No it's not.

Baba O'Reily
ABBA BANNED
Location: http://zenixstudios.com/files/ 554SpaceIsThePlace.Mp3

Post by Baba O'Reily »

But hey, it isn't clever or original, either.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I hate shows that rely on their main characters being minorities to carry the entire show *glares at Will and Grace, the Proud Family, etc*

vidkid7

Post by vidkid7 »

Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends - the show that gives me hope for flash animated television.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Using Flash rather than traditional cel animation is just a way to save money on the prohibitive costs of animated television shows. It has no bearing on whether or not the show in question will be at all a "quality" experience.

The Proud Family is mostly traditional animation, but I've seen at least one short within the show itself that was made in Flash.

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

I didn't think any of the shows coming out did traditional cel animation anymore. Flash isn't bad, the only animation I hate is when they try to make it look japanese like Teen Titans. It's like they're thinking, it looks japanese so maybe more people will watch it.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Segaholic2 wrote:No it's not.
You're right (and I forgot). It's animated in Australia. But that's some poor animation still.

Double-S-
News Guy

Post by Double-S- »

Teen Titan's NOT Japanese? I had figured that initially after seeing .5 second clips when flipping through channels, but then I saw the intro and there were a bunch of kids singing the theme song in what sounded like not English and yelling 'TEEN TITANS" randomly in that very distinguishable Japanese accent. It had me confused.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The music is done by a Japanese band, but the animation, writing, and characters are all American.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Zeta wrote:The music is done by a Japanese band, but the animation, writing, and characters are all American.
Incidentally, the opening song is by Puffy AmiYumi.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Aye, I know that.

They also did a song played during a montage sequence in the episode "Mad Mod".

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The Mad Mod episode was hilarious.

Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends has mixed Flash and traditional animation very well. It's the best show Cartoon Network has had in years, everything about it is just so refreshing.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Is that the one with the crazy house that was a room or something? That was one of the few I've seen. It was kind of cool. I don't really like the animation style though.

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

I haven't gotten to see Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends. I'm still mad that they don't ever show Samurai Jack and Time Squad is only on at 5 a.m.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

You should all watch "Da Boom Crew", which is probably the worst offender of the main characters being minorities. And maybe Static Shock.

My feelings for Teen Titans is mostly indifferent. The Mad Mod episode made me go "!!!", for obvious reasons.

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

Home Movies used Flash for it's 2nd to 4th season. 'Nuff 'sed.

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

Home movies was awesome.

The Scarlet Scorpion

Post by The Scarlet Scorpion »

Trog13 wrote:I didn't think any of the shows coming out did traditional cel animation anymore. Flash isn't bad, the only animation I hate is when they try to make it look japanese like Teen Titans. It's like they're thinking, it looks japanese so maybe more people will watch it.
I thought they did it like that because Glen Murakami is a big fan of "Gatchaman" and "FLCL".

And Marv Wolfman likes it. Y'know, the guy who's written "Teen Titans" in it's various incarnations for over twenty years -- Hell, the guy who actually made the book readable for the first time ever (really, the book was shit before he started writing it).

Zeta wrote:The music is done by a Japanese band, but the animation, writing, and characters are all American.
It's done by Warner Brothers, in fact. And it's based off of a comic book by DC.

Poison Eggroll wrote:You should all watch "Da Boom Crew", which is probably the worst offender of the main characters being minorities. And maybe Static Shock.

My feelings for Teen Titans is mostly indifferent. The Mad Mod episode made me go "!!!", for obvious reasons.
Actually, "Static Shock" is also based off of a DC series, written and created by an African-American author. And the animated version would probably be a lot more impressive had they been allowed to get a little bit closer to the gritty, violent tone of the comic (i.e.: if they'd done it like the early years of "Batman: The Animated Series").

And as for "Teen Titans", first off, I have a distinct feeling that the show is gonna get a lot more grim in tone, over time. After all, when I first started watching, I never expected them to do episodes such as "X" and "Haunted", and given such topics as Raven's family history and Tamoran's conquest at the hands of the Gordainians, I feel it's gonna get darker still.

Oh, and personally, I rather like the Animated Universe's take on The Mad Mod. I mean, compare him to his comic book version...

As for Flashimation itself, I have mixed feeling about it. I mean, I hate to admit it, but I do enjoy "Aqua Teen Hunger Force", God help me, as well as several other of the Williams Street "Adult Swim" shows. However, those are usually clever and funny. But it's just so cheap, and often so abominabble, that I'm getting fed up with it. Look at "Tom Goes to the Mayor" (or rather, don't look at it. It's possibly the worst animation I've ever seen).

Flash is meant for the internet, people! Why can't anybody see that?!

Personally, I can sort of understand the use of C.G.I. in cel-based programs. I mean, if Winsor McCay (the man who invented cartoons) can have live action scenes in his cartoons, Fleischer Studios can have rotoscoping and miniatures, and Terry Gilliam can use photographs and drawings, why can't one mix another medium into things? In a skilled hand, computers and celluloid can combine practically seemlessly, such as in "Cowboy Bebop", the "Ghost in the Shell" movies and T.V. shows, and, occassionally, in American productions like "Futurama". But it can be misused and abused, often to the point of it being an outright crime against humanity (has anyone here yet to suppress their memories of "Courage, the Cowardly Dog"? Ugh).

In short, while a pen may be mightier than a sword, it's only as effective as the person who holds it. It can be used to create things stylish and superlative, or it can just be something you should keep away from the mentally deficient -- if you've got nothing good to produce, whether in style or substance, don't bother producing things.

FIN

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Oh, and personally, I rather like the Animated Universe's take on The Mad Mod. I mean, compare him to his comic book version...
Well, yah - insane British man who's an expert in hypnosis and gadgets and generally acts like an evil Austin Powers totally beats a gay fashion designer who just decided to become a criminal on a whim.
Actually, "Static Shock" is also based off of a DC series, written and created by an African-American author. And the animated version would probably be a lot more impressive had they been allowed to get a little bit closer to the gritty, violent tone of the comic (i.e.: if they'd done it like the early years of "Batman: The Animated Series").
Yeah, I've heard the comics are like 60 times better than the cartoon - but they're a bitch to find.

I hate the way Static's electricity can do ANYTHING in the cartoon. It can make knock-out gas stronger, it can push buttons, it can carry people around without hurting them, it can manipulate electronics without breaking them. It does whatever they want it to do with no regards for logic or limitation of powers. It's like he's a fucking Green Lantern without the ring.