The Sonic OVA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
The Noid

The Sonic OVA

Post by The Noid »

Ah, Sonic at his best. I can watch it all the time and each time I watch it again it's just as exciting as the last. I loved the Land of the Sky/Land of Darkness angle, it really made everything interesting. I also loved the fact that Knuckles wasn't as much as a prick as he is in every other Sonic universe. You gotta love the hat.

Let's discuss the anime. What you liked, disliked, and maybe some theories on the Land of the Sky's physics and such? How it came to be and if Planet Freedom really is Earth in the future? Could the anime have worked well as a full series? Would Genesis game adaptions work well such as Knuckles being an emerald guardian and the Death Egg? What if Fang was in the OVA?

Let's discuss this great piece of anime ass.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

What was with Tails' weird voice? Is it true that the voice actor really had a cold when they were recording?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new characters created for that OVA were even lamer than the characters created for the American cartoons. Still, at least Metal was a badass.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I own it, but the English voices make my ears bleed, so I always watch it subbed.

Still, inconsistancies abound, such as: Knuckles is a Mole, apparently, as well as Sonic's best friend.

Still, I like his hat...

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Re: The Sonic OVA

Post by Delphine »

The Noid wrote:Ah, Sonic at his best.
Yeah, S3&K was pretty sweet.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Esrever wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new characters created for that OVA were even lamer than the characters created for the American cartoons.
Even Wes Weasley?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Especially Wes Weasley!

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

Still, inconsistancies abound, such as: Knuckles is a Mole, apparently, as well as Sonic's best friend.
I'm assuming the "mole" part of Knuckles come from what his species is also refered to in Japanese--a "harimogura" which seem to be roughly translated as "needle mole"(unless someone can correct me).

As for the anime, well the company who got the English rights ain't called Awfully Dubbed Videos for nothing. Though, I heard their dubs have improved recently, but I can't judge since I haven listen to any of their recent dub jobs. Maybe I should borrow my brother's Azumanga Daioh DVD...

So yeah, you should only watch this anime subbed and what a cool OAV it is well for a Sonic animation. I still stand by my opinion that the sub features the best Sonic VA so far.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Ngangbius wrote:s for the anime, well the company who got the English rights ain't called Awfully Dubbed Videos for nothing. Though, I heard their dubs have improved recently, but I can't judge since I haven listen to any of their recent dub jobs.
If by 'have improved' you mean 'are smaller piles of shit than their older dubs', then yes, you would be correct.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new characters created for that OVA were even lamer than the characters created for the American cartoons.
I thought the characters created for the OVA were pretty good in that they were only there to help move the story, not to be "interesting" and developed characters that moronic fans would write fanfictions about and argue over in stupid love triangle threads. Though, even within the show they question the existance of the owl, why didn't the president just call?
"harimogura" which seem to be roughly translated as "needle mole"
The Knuckles/Mole thing has been going on since his inception in Sonic 3 (it's in the freaking manual!), due to that exact same Harimogura business you mentioned mentioned. It does, in fact, mean echidna, but yeah, literally it's "spiny mole." Hedgehog (Harinezumi) is "spiny mouse" (or rat, if you like).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hence the whole rumour about Sonic's original name being "Mr. Needlemouse."

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver wrote:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the new characters created for that OVA were even lamer than the characters created for the American cartoons.
I thought the characters created for the OVA were pretty good in that they were only there to help move the story, not to be "interesting" and developed characters that moronic fans would write fanfictions about and argue over in stupid love triangle threads. Though, even within the show they question the existance of the owl, why didn't the president just call?
I agree with that. The Owl was more just well placed comic relief than anything else. I kinda wish that Amy was included instead of Seira though, her character wouldn't be as drastically changed as Knuckles was.

Overall I liked it, it was a fun no-brainer action romp, the environment was mostly fantasy based rather than overly sci-fi, woodland or realistic, Metal Sonic was as cool as always, the music was quite spiffy and Sonic, Tails and Eggman were well characterised. I particuarly liked how the Sonic and Tails dynamic played off, it's something you don't see much of nowadays.

hello.jpg

Re: The Sonic OVA

Post by hello.jpg »

Delphine wrote:
The Noid wrote:Ah, Sonic at his best.
Yeah, S3&K was pretty sweet.
*Sonic CD

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I was refuting the fact that anime Sonic is Sonic at his best without bothering to go into detail, not getting the games confused.

daytonafathead
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by daytonafathead »

too many people are posting stuff in this topic about the american "Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie" ADV version of the japanese "Sonic Anime". If you'd watch the japanese version, you'd see it's actually ok but the american version sucks. Please don't judge the anime on america's version. :shock:

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've only seen the Japanese version and I still think it sucks. When the hell did Sonic learn how to magically hover?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Yeah, it sucks.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon! wrote:When the hell did Sonic learn how to magically hover?
When he went to Hogwarts, of course. Silly Gibbon, don't you pay attention?

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I've only seen the Japanese version and I still think it sucks. When the hell did Sonic learn how to magically hover?
Toei was still in "DBZ-mode".

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Was that produced by Toei? I remember some "Wishbone" and "Taki Corporation" stuff...

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Last time I remember the whole Dragonball saga--including GT was animated by Toei.

Jaden

Post by Jaden »

I think he was refering to the Sonic movie... And just for the record Anime World Osaka and Tezuka Productions did the animation... It seems Sega has been on good with Osamu Tezuka's estate for awhile...

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Wait, I could have sworn the OAV as well as the Sonic CD Intro/Outro were both produced by Toei.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Delphine wrote:
Green Gibbon! wrote:When the hell did Sonic learn how to magically hover?
When he went to Hogwarts, of course. Silly Gibbon, don't you pay attention?
Don't you mean HEDGEhogwarts?

Bwahahahah . . . seriously, somebody stop me. Really.

Speaking of that moronic school, don't you just feel sorry for the kids with the badger as their mascot? "Yea, here are the dudes with the giant Lion statue, the giant eagle, and the snake. And over there are the badgers. They suck."

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Hufflepuff. *snicker*