The Sonic OVA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

While I disagree with Shonen Jump being labelled as a "kid's magazine", I must also defend the Dragon Ball comic. I still enjoy the Dragon Ball story right up until the Buu arc (you can tell that Toriyama just wasn't trying anymore), and the show is fairly amusing the first time around, but with the exception of the first thirteen episodes of the original series, it does lose a lot in the translation from comic to anime, especially with all of the filler. Dragon Ball works best as a fun, simple-minded comic that you really shouldn't take too seriously.

Of course, Rurouni Kenshin is better.
Last edited by Pepperidge on Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aso

Post by aso »

As far as I know, all of the manga printed in Shonen Jump were aimed at younger boys - 'Boy's Jump'. This is the only reason I refer to it as a 'kid's' magazine, really...

(Oh, and Toriyama obviously gave up around the Buu arc. He had wanted to end the series a number of times, apparently. Most fans seem to agree that the series would have ended in a better fashion after the Freeza or Buu arc... although Buu turning people into food and the dances were funny stuff.)

Everyone does seem to say Rurouni Kenshin is better, though...

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Shonen Jump basically targets males 10-20, but it's appeal is much, much larger. Apparently every 1 in 30 people in Japan buy Shonen Jump.

aso

Post by aso »

Ah. Chalk that as a fact that I did not know.