The Sonic OVA

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah. Those losers. What was that woman thinking when she was writing this stuff? "Gee - Courageous Lions, Devious Snakes, and Hyper-Intelligent Eagles are all so cool - I'll throw in a friendly badger just to throw things off an' be the whipping boy for the others."

It's like going into a battle royale with four people. One gets a chainsaw, one gets a bazooka, and one gets a sniping rifle - and the last looser gets stuck with a spatula. You can obviously tell that someone is getting screwed over in the equation.

Speaking of which - it's a good thing nobody realized that hedgehogs primarily live in England. Or Sonic would have a British accent.

And furthermore - why no porcupines? We've got four hedgehogs, and an echidna. What about the poor porcupines? No respect for them. No respect at all. I like echidnas better, but the poor porcupines are still getting marginalized.

Yeah, this was a weird post. But I've not been to sleep in 20 hours.

Oh yeah - the OVA was weird. Good in some places. I watched it without sound or subtitles. So I just enjoyed the pretty pictures.

I kind of thought the Land of Sky/Land of Darkness angle was moronic. It just din't gibe very well with Sonic. It was way too . . . odd and fantasy-ish in a romantic "Let's go slay a dragon with a dwarf" sort of way.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

peaking of that moronic school, don't you just feel sorry for the kids with the badger as their mascot?
When I was six or seven, I let my dad talk me into playing T-ball one summer. I don't remember all the local teams, but there was one called the Nail Drivers who were the team to beat, then there were the Panthers, the Twisters or Tornadoes or something... and of course I ended up on the Pandas. We were the worst team in the league and I was the worst player on that team. Throughout the entire summer I never really understood the rules of the game, I just did whatever the coaches yelled at me to do. When I was playing outfield (which is what I usually got assigned to do), my fellow outfielders and I would disregard the game entirely and hunt for frogs, which was quite a bit more entertaining.

A couple years later I also let my dad talk me into joining the boy scouts, which is a whole other story. (I stopped listening to my dad entirely by the time I was around 13.)

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

peaking of that moronic school, don't you just feel sorry for the kids with the badger as their mascot?
Isn't the house they get chosen based on their personality? Maybe the kids who get admitted to the Huffenpuff house are the loser, wussy kids.

And GG! proved my point. ;)

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Hey man, there's nothing wrong with Badgers. Those things are fuckin' hard.

Check out those teeth and claws. These guys can totally fuck shit up.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

wolverines > badgers

Considering these animals are from the same family(Mustelidae), you could easily replace the badger mascot with a wolverine one.
~~If a wolverine was the size of a bear, it would be the strongest animal on Earth.
~~The wolverine's jaws are strong enough to crush bones.
~~Wolverines are capable of bringing down deer or caribou.
That's more hardcore than a stinkin' badger.

Hell, even the name "wolverine" sounds more badass than "badger".

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Don't forget the adamantium claws.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Well, see, for some reason Rowling seems to think people come in four flavors, and just stuffs all the misc. folks in one house. Hufflepuffs are the burger flippers of the magic world.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Ngangbius wrote: Hell, even the name "wolverine" sounds more badass than "badger".
Meh. I like badgers better. They even have "Bad" as part of their name. Which makes them bad, I guess. Besides, Wolverine is easily the most overrated of the X-Men.

Besides, you couldn't do this - http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/ - with Wolverines.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

plasticwingsband wrote: Besides, you couldn't do this - http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/ - with Wolverines.
Good. The sanctity of the wolverine is preserved.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

plasticwingsband wrote:Besides, you couldn't do this - <a href="http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/">www ... er.com/</a> - with Wolverines.

Why would you WANT to?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

I dunno. I like it.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

To 'badger' someone is to annoy the fuck out of them by asking them the same thing over and over. I think that speaks for itself.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Ok, geez, I get it. You guys hate Badgers.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

personally, i liked that ova, and i thought it way better than sonic x. plus, sarah's a hotty.

Final_Cosmos_the_Ultra
Douche Bag
Douche Bag

Post by Final_Cosmos_the_Ultra »

I know it's game play, but if Sonic can jump in the air stay there for an illogical amount of time and then attack in the games then why the hell can't he hover?

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

I liked it because it *real* sonic anime not some shitty "japanese styled" cartoon (sonic x). Besides, our pal Big Island had a pretty pivital role in its production.
Oh and to the person who asked about sonic's abilty to hover, you need to read "Laws of Anime Physics" by Ryan Shellito and Darrin Bright.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

firemario1001 wrote:I liked it because it *real* sonic anime not some shitty "japanese styled" cartoon (sonic x).
actually, sonic x is an anime, its just really shitty thats all

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I think the animation in Sonic X is great, it's just that the storyline is way too out of whack.

-wyvern

Post by -wyvern »

Agreed. I cannot believe that they paid someone to write some of the things in there when there are hundreds of us on the internet who would probably do it for free rather than have sonic say "Ow! My ass has skidmarks!". You see, I am crying already. Both the writers and the translators of that show need a damn good hiding.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's sad, because there are a handful of episodes of Sonic X that are really, really good. Maybe if had been a 13 episode series instead of a 52 episode one, we would all have been able to remember it more fondly.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

At least it's not anything like DBZ. "Oh, let me tell you the story why I'm trying to kill you and destroy the world!" and 13-kajillion episodes...

aso

Post by aso »

Whenever someone comments on DBZ, I can only say: "READ THE DAMNED MANGA."

The comic is so much better... seriously.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Oh it is not.

aso

Post by aso »

It is.

At least, I think it is.

I know that it's cheesy, simple, and repetitive. (After all, it came from 'Shonen Jump' - a kid's magazine...)

But in comparing the two...

The pacing seems more logical, keeping the bits of staring and powering up to a few comic frames at most. The miscellaneous dialogue and 'filler episodes' are, obviously, gone. And some of the battles, horrifically long in the show, are more tolerable in the comic (ie, shortening three episodes to a few pages).

So, the comic > the anime in this case.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

'a few comic frames at most'

I'd call them downright hilarious, myself.