24 (Fox)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

24 (Fox)

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, I'm talking about the TV show. Mind you, I normally don't follow TV shows at all, and I despise most TV in general. But I'm telling you, this show amazes me. It grabs your balls in a death-grip and won't let go until the season is over. I am so glad I finally took my friends' advice and started watching.

I'm at 6pm in season two now (you MUST watch the seasons in order), and I'm sad that I have to wake up early tomorrow for work, because I want to watch the rest (14 straight episodes, or approximate hours) RIGHT NOW.

Anyone else appreciate this show as well? Yeah yeah, call me a dork or a dweeb or a nerd or whatever. Might I remind you all that we're all <I>still</I> Sonic Team fans, and practically everyone besides me is also an avid anime fan? :p

I don't know why I'm posting this. I just finished watching 5 or so hours in a row with my family (I got them all hooked as well), and I'm hyped now. The plot twists are INSANE, I tell you.

Last thing: Post spoilers for this show, and I will make you suffer.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

24 is the greatest television show ever made. It's seriously the ONLY show I watch on TV anymore.

Season 3 was the best season yet, incidently, so look forward to it! :)

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I bet it's not better than Family Guy.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

That's like comparing Tetris to NiGHTS.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

What is it with all the Family Guy love out there? It's a good show, sure, but it's as derivative as hell and nowhere near as subtle or clever as the Simpsons was in its heyday. Pep, in advance, shut up.

I never saw 24, but I heard it was great... though several of my addicted friends told me I probably wouldn't like it because the writing's really cheesy or something. I am, however, a great follower of Six Feet Under.

And, curiously, Sex and the City's earlier days, but don't tell anyone about that: it places my sexuality under suspicion.

Also, I want to bone Niles Crane.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Family Guy is funny because all of the jokes are shocking and usually go in a direction that makes your head whip around. A great example is a scene where Peter is in Austrailia.

He stands there poking at a crocodile for 5 minutes, tension builds.

And then a rabid koala bear pops out of nowhere and starts humping his face.

Who could see that coming? That's why Family Guy is so great.

Unfortunately, it's also why episodes tend to suck on repeat viewings. So much the humor relies on that last second twist of what would otherwise be a standard joke, that if you even have the vaugest idea of where they're going with one, it's not funny anymore. I can't imagine how they sold so many DVDs of the series. Watching Family Guy repeats is like reading murder mysteries again and again after you know who the killer is.

24 - a suspense show told in one full day. It sounds like something I'd like. But the whole thing looked too political and dry from the 5 or so episodes I've watched.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Zeta, I'm going to slap you. You MUST, and I really mean it, MUST watch 24 from season one, hour one. You can't just skip around, otherwise stuff isn't going to make sense to you, and you'll get half the surprises spoiled.

Pistol

Post by Pistol »

Popcorn wrote:I am, however, a great follower of Six Feet Under.
The only show i watch on television anymore. It has such amazing development, that I actually care for the characters. which is saying alot, because the last time I actually gave a shit emotionally for a fictional character (not including charcters in novels) was when I cried for Aeris' impaling in '97 or whenever I played VII.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

The only show I consistently watch is South Park. And Aqua Teen Hunger Force. And Sealab 2021.

As far as what I would watch if it was on TV? Monty Python's Flying Circus. But I already have the huge box-set (containing all 45 episodes). So I can already watch it whenever I want.

So, in conclusion, I believe that Monty Python's Flying Circus & South Park are the best Tv shows, like, ever. Anime be damned.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I never liked the Simpsons.

What appeals to me about Family Guy is the pace of the jokes. It's super sharp, though as Zeta says, the rewatchability is pretty low. But if I'm looking for a resounding classic, television is the last place I'll turn.

"Do you want me to whack a guy? Off a guy? Whack off a guy? Because I'm married."

Now if you want to talk about the real best TV show ever made, that would be the Dick Van Dyke Show. Buddy Surrel was my role model for years.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Esrever wrote:Season 3 was the best season yet, incidently, so look forward to it! :)
Were we watching the same season? Because (<b>spoilers</b>) nothing happened for the entire second act of the season, and during most of the first and third acts while they were at it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think it's impossible to have this argument without spoiling it for Segaholic, but I'll try! But yar, "nothing happened" is a criticism I've heard a lot of this season and I really don't understand why. I mean, what about that... thing! And then that crazy crap? With the other thing? That was the shit.

Pop, 24 is cheesy at times. It's kind of like a soap opera where things explode.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

All. They. Did. Was. Wait. NOTHING. HAPPENED.

Kind of like Alias. Alias season 3? Ewww. All the pretty sharks...

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

So I assume everyone here absolutely loves Twin Peaks, right? Because if they didn't they'd all be banned.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Of course!

Hey, did anyone see Mullholland Drive? Best post-peaks thing he's done, IMO.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Actually, I wasn't too sure about that. It seemed mostly confusing and obtuse for the sake of it-- and consequuently dull and frustrating-- rather than achieving that delectable pleasant-intriguing puzzle-element of Twin Peaks. I should see it again, though.

I wanna do Audrey.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I refuse to watch 24, because the episodes are 45 minutes long rather than 1 hour long. American commercial breaks be damned, that just ruins the entire gimmick the show is based upon.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

First, I want to say:

MST3K > most other shows

Second, while Family Guy maybe low in rewatchability--I'll take it over Simpsons seasons 9 to the current season 15 or what a certain board member of a certain message board fondly calls it, Simpsons 2. Shame Fox screwed over Futurama because that show was also light years(no pun intended) ahead of Simpsons 2.

I hardly watch TV anymore since most of it is crap so I never really keep up on shows that air on Network TV on the weekdays--including 24. However, I do catch up on another gem that airs on Fox and that is Arrested Development. This series has the kind of smart comedy with likeable, quirky characters that has been featured in such great series like Seinfield and Curb Your Euthsiasm. I highly reconmend it.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Arrested Development blows. ^_^

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

The Log Lady is my personal hero.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I was really getting into Wonderfalls, but Fox had to go and cancel it. That's not to say it was unexpected, of course.

GG!, I never would've guessed you to be a Family Guy man. Did you hear that there are 35 new episodes set to debut next summer? That should be great, because I can't see the creatives behind that show possibly losing steam. Of course, if I could trade it all in for just one more episode of Futurama to give the show a proper conclusion, I would. I still feel that that was the best American prime time animated sitcom ever made.

But of course, Family Guy was funnier.

"I gave you life, and I can take it away!"

*pulls out a remote control with a large red button, but nothing happens"

"Aww crap, they must've put the bomb in the wrong baby!"

I've been wanting to check out Twin Peaks for some time, but I've never seen anyone air reruns. Is it out on DVD?

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

What was wrong with the Futurama conclusion?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It will be interesting to see what Family Guy will be like with an entirely new staff of writers. Still, that didn't seem to hurt the third season. So the fourth should still be good, as long as Seth is at the helm.

I never saw the last Futurama... still waiting for the DVDs of that season. Did it actually have a formal conclusion?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Pepperidge wrote:I was really getting into Wonderfalls, but Fox had to go and cancel it. That's not to say it was unexpected, of course.
They're working on getting the 13 filmed episodes on DVD. It's not 100% for sure, mostly because we know Fox and we know they suck, but it's a serious possibility. Which is cool, because I loved Wonderfalls. Minear is genius.

<a href="http://www.savewonderfalls.com/">Save Wonderfalls</a> has more info if you're interested.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm sure Wonderfalls will hit DVD. That's where all the cool cancelled Fox shows go. Hell, they're even going to release Keen Eddie on DVD.