Sonic X and 'Segasonic'

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

(quote)It's a lot easier on yourself and a lot easier on those around you if you relax and let your guard down - stop being so damn cynical to all this shit. Allow yourself to actually LIKE something for once instead of sitting around, poised and ready to point out each and every flaw. (quote)

(clapping hands) That's EXACTLY what I wanted to say about Sonic Heroes.
And I don't know yet about Sonic X, but it'll start being aired in Brazil this monday, and as it seems, the dubbing doesn't suck (I think the brazillian dubber for Sonic will look a lot like Sonic's japanese voice, and that's good.
Chuck is the Anime version of Doc. Brown (Back to the Future series).

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Neo Yi wrote:
The hat is civilization.

Does that mean you dislike it? Makes Knuckles look awesome (can't go anywhere in my drawing without adding his hat).
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?d ... 0-30&res=l

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Oh, I see...well, I don't read a lot of Penny Arcade...heh.
~Neo

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Chris sucked and the human world thing sucked, they ruined what could've been a really good series. I don't care if every other crappy adaptation does it, they suck too.
Me too. If saving the world from certain doom involved a lot of sex with sexy Japanese men.
Sexy Japanese men?
j-man wrote:"MisTER Per-EZI-dentwhat's theurGENT BIZ-niss?"

Why doesn't the UK DVD have the JP track and subs? WHY!? ;__;
That's really fucking stupid seeing as the old R0 DVD had it, I don't know why they'd even bother making a new one without it. It's worth hunting down on eBay or whatever.
Yeah, I always used to wonder why ash didn't die, and turned to stone instead.
He did die, I think the director said so.
I heard they banned an episode of Pokemon 'cause there was a gun in it. Families in america probably have guns since it's legal, which defeats the whole point of that.
I think it was more due to the fact that the guns were being pointed around at kids faces and used to threaten them, but it still couldn't possibly have been worse than Daffy Duck stuff.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Chris sucked and the human world thing sucked, they ruined what could've been a really good series. I don't care if every other crappy adaptation does it, they suck too.
The human world is a GOOD idea, in my opinion. If it took place in a world full of animal people like Sonic, the extra supporting cast would be full of ugly, nonsensical characters. Storks, pangolins, tanukis. All done in ugly attempts to mimic the Sonic character designs, but failing entirely.

As much as I hate Chris, having the series take place in the human worlds means that the background cast can be random folks that you can ignore. Instead of turtles in overcoats and other ridiculous shit.

Truth be told - YES, I do prefer Chris over Sally/Antoine blah - all of those random superfluous furry fucks.

And I actually LIKE Chuck Thorndyke and Chris' uncle. In fact, if they had made Sonic's human-world liason a car racing policeman instead of a shitty little rich kid, the series would've been pretty damn good.
Sexy Japanese men?
OK, I'll settle for cute.
Oh well, at least it worked. Ash should "kill" himself more often, it'd stop a lot of conflicts.
Ash has actually died and been ressurected twice. In the movie, he got fried with psychic blasts. But in the regular TV series, a chandlier fell on him and crushed both him AND Pikachu.

Unfortunately, some stupid ghost Pokemon put their souls back into their bodies, and that somehow healed their crushed spines.

Don't ask me.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Zeta wrote:
The human world is a GOOD idea, in my opinion. If it took place in a world full of animal people like Sonic, the extra supporting cast would be full of ugly, nonsensical characters. Storks, pangolins, tanukis. All done in ugly attempts to mimic the Sonic character designs, but failing entirely.
Personally, I like the series in general, but I think it could've still been good/better without humans and <i>just</i> the main characters; no made up animal characters. That way there would probably be more focus on the main characters and less filler crap episodes. OR they could do it like they did in the games (SA/SA2): Little to no focus on the human characters.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Sonic was made to be popular, it didn’t have any official storyline when it started

It only was “The evil doctor Eggman is kidnapping the animals in the forest and turning then into robots, can you save them and defeat the evil doctor Eggman?â€￾ or something like that.

They have money in the Sonic universe, just read the Sonic battle storyline, the only thing that is worth the money you pay for the game.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

I heard they banned an episode of Pokemon 'cause there was a gun in it. Families in america probably have guns since it's legal, which defeats the whole point of that.

They banned more then one epsiode. There was that famous seizure epsiode. There was one with Jynx in the Johto saga, but they took it out because Jynx got into a lot of controversial trouble with the African Americans because they thought Jynx was a stereotyping African Americans. I think there was another, but I can't remember.
As much as I hate Chris, having the series take place in the human worlds means that the background cast can be random folks that you can ignore. Instead of turtles in overcoats and other ridiculous shit.

Truth be told - YES, I do prefer Chris over Sally/Antoine blah - all of those random superfluous furry fucks
I'll say I hate Chris' role stealing, but I like his personality. Like I said, unlike most little kids who are generally annoying in personality, Chris doesn't bother me personality wise, which leads me to tolerate him.
~Neo

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, Chris is annoying, alright, but I bet he'd be downright tolerable in an anime that had nothing to do with Sonic.

I just think it was fairly obvious that, within the confines of the Sonic universe, the writers didn't know what the fuck to do with him - so to compensate - they stuck him everywhere.

Kind of like a stuffed deer head that doesn't fit on a wall, so let's put it in the middle of the floor so everyone notices by tripping on it and breaking their noses.

Thus, what would otherwise be a mediocre character progressed to being an annoying little fucking scene-stealer. He went from Toad in the Mario games to being Sonic's Jar-Jar Binks. He constantly has to be the focus of storylines despite the fact that it obviously makes no sense that he's there in the first place.

Lakwren

Post by Lakwren »

Ash has actually died and been ressurected twice. In the movie, he got fried with psychic blasts. But in the regular TV series, a chandlier fell on him and crushed both him AND Pikachu.

Unfortunately, some stupid ghost Pokemon put their souls back into their bodies, and that somehow healed their crushed spines.

Don't ask me.
Ah yes, how could I forget that one? I would die more often if I could be a scary ghost that could fly through walls and then be able to go back into my old body again without being in pain. I mean, it was okay for Ash to do it, right?
They banned more then one epsiode. There was that famous seizure epsiode. There was one with Jynx in the Johto saga, but they took it out because Jynx got into a lot of controversial trouble with the African Americans because they thought Jynx was a stereotyping African Americans. I think there was another, but I can't remember.
I remembered those, too. The one with the Jynx in the Johto saga was actually because Team Rocket gave brock some sort of flu, which were similar to the symptoms of the SARS epidemic. Don't ask me what the reason was for banning it.

Does anybody remember the episode where James has fake breasts? I think that was only showed in America, but they cut so much stuff out it was pointless to watch.

I'm pretty sure those are the only banned episodes, so no, you didn't forget any.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:

Truth be told - YES, I do prefer Chris over Sally/Antoine blah - all of those random superfluous furry fucks.
Actually, I meant that it should be done like it was in Sonic Adventure.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The one with the Jynx in the Johto saga was actually because Team Rocket gave brock some sort of flu, which were similar to the symptoms of the SARS epidemic. Don't ask me what the reason was for banning it.
That's what people were saying, to protect Jynx. Actually, there was a fairly large letter-writing campaign from african American woman against Jynx/Rougela.

This is supported, because in the episode "All Things Bright and Beautifly" of the Hoenn series, Jynx had a small cameo that was cut out of the US version with little to no explanation.

This pretty much shows the truth behind Jynx:

http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/bash ... nx_01.html

You can clearly see that yes, Jynx IS a pretty offensive racial stereotype created by those silly monoethnic and politically incorrect Japanese.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I actually have a Pokémon episode guide somewhere that came with an issue of Wizard Magazine that I bought years ago. There were a whole bunch of episodes that were banned in the first season alone. If I find it I'll post which ones later.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Does anybody remember the episode where James has fake breasts? I think that was only showed in America, but they cut so much stuff out it was pointless to watch.
Epsiode 18, if I remember. Yes, it came to America, but it was cut from like 50 minutes ( think because it was a special) to regular 20 something minutes. Yea, they did cut out the breasts. I believe my reactions were me laughing my ass off when I saw James like that.
~Neo

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

For some reason some of the first season Pokemon episodes got moved to the second season for the US release (complete with second season intro and outro and Pokemon Jukebox feature). It was confusing to say the least.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I seem to recall them skipping certain episodes but still referencing them in later episodes. And that Safari Warden ep still hasn't seen the light of day.

Oh well, it's still better than what those fucks are doing to One Piece now.

firemario1001

Post by firemario1001 »

How come none of the Sonic cartoons are actually based on the original plot of the games? How I long to see a cartoon that just stars Sonic and Tails protecting the South Island and its inhabitants from Dr. Robotnik. Yeah I said it, "ROBOTNIK!!"

And all the original character designs would remain intact, and so would their personalities. And no stupid fill in characters either!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Yeah I said it, "ROBOTNIK!!"
Dude... no one cares.
Anywho, I do agree with the idea of a less chris-centric cartoon, it's too late now. He's there now, and will be for presumably the rest of the series. In every episode.

Nova

Post by Nova »

Well there are some fancomics out there and some are really good. Have you seen this one?

SegaSonic the Hedgehog by Drew Schultz

The art is funny and really reminds me the good old Sonic...this is the closest thing to the game I have ever seen.

Lakwren

Post by Lakwren »

Zeta wrote:
The one with the Jynx in the Johto saga was actually because Team Rocket gave brock some sort of flu, which were similar to the symptoms of the SARS epidemic. Don't ask me what the reason was for banning it.
That's what people were saying, to protect Jynx. Actually, there was a fairly large letter-writing campaign from african American woman against Jynx/Rougela.

This is supported, because in the episode "All Things Bright and Beautifly" of the Hoenn series, Jynx had a small cameo that was cut out of the US version with little to no explanation.

This pretty much shows the truth behind Jynx:

http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/bash ... nx_01.html

You can clearly see that yes, Jynx IS a pretty offensive racial stereotype created by those silly monoethnic and politically incorrect Japanese.
Oh, okay.

Then how come they didn't get rid of that christmas episode with the Jynx in it?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Oh well, it's still better than what those fucks are doing to One Piece now.
I can't watch said 'dub' without vomiting. And does Jynx really do anything stereotypically black?

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Locit wrote:I can't watch said 'dub' without vomiting. And does Jynx really do anything stereotypically black?
It goes on welfare while drinking malt liquor and stealing watermelons.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

Oh, okay.

Then how come they didn't get rid of that christmas episode with the Jynx in it?

That was a long time ago...wasn't that like before Jynx was consider stereotypical? In any case, WB hasn't shown that epsiode in years.
~Neo

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I never viewed Jynx as anything other than a Pokémon I didn't really notice much. I can only see the offensive stereotype thing now that someone has told me about it.

And I think there's a certain amount of reading too much into it. I mean, I can understand where the woman took offense, but as for the name, it was added by American translators. I doubt they'd risk sparking a racial outcry over a children's character.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Yeah, but that's the thing. There's nothing wrong with Jynx, or Mr. Popo - in Japan, there was no Black Slave Trade, was there? I don't think so. There was no segregation. It's just in America, memories to that sort of characiracture are attached to bad times.

Stuff like Jynx only bothers people because they let it. The characters were not created with the intention of "sticking it to" African Americans, or drudging up memories of Slavery. They're just using it as a comical face.

I see no reason to "erase" a character like Jynx, or give Popo's lips liposuction; I doubt there would be any problem at all with these characters if people wouldn't complain. It's not like America's gonna break out and suddenly go back to segregation just because a Pokemon has a black face and big lips.