After so many years of waiting...Sonic Epoch has arrived!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
J.E.Smith

After so many years of waiting...Sonic Epoch has arrived!

Post by J.E.Smith »

SAGE has opened, and with it one of the most long awaited Sonic fangames of all time: Sonic Epoch. Yes, this years in the making fangame is finally completed at long last. I won't say anything else, you can find out everything about it in the below link. Note that you will need Visual Boy Advance to play it(That's another beauty to this fangame, if you can get a flash cart you can also play it on GBA!). Also I should point out the game's intro is pretty lengthy, with two intro stages and a whole bunch(read:a BUNCH) of cutscenes before you get to the map screen.

http://bobstuffs.no-ip.com/sage/
Last edited by J.E.Smith on Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

You realize that SatAM is considered the devil around these parts, and what you're doing right now is akin to covering yourself in honey and steak just before dancing infront of an angry bear, right?

I'd lay down and just play dead. Maybe they'll miss your vital organs.

Personally, I dig Epoch, though. Could use a little more polish (some of the dialogue feels... iffy, and there are a few bugs), but it's still pretty good.

Then again, who am I to judge this stuff? I thought Sonic: Time Attacked was awesome and nobody around here had anything good to say about that, either.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Any Sonic game with Princess Fucking Sally (PFS for short) in it is equivalent to say . . .

Well, a Star Wars movie with Jar Jar Binks in it.

Seriously though, I hate the cast of SatAM/Archie. Well, most of them - Bunny Rabot's good enough to fit in with the regular SegaSonic cast and she's a step above Cream.

But all the others - snooty french fox, mary-sue disgusting love interest squirrel, and fat purple walrus who steals the limelight from Tails? Buuuurn in Hell.

And poor Eggman, who went from comical but devious mastermind to CyberHitler . . . now that's a real character bastardization.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Despite the fact, I don't like any universe outside of Sega's and Sonic Teams, I try not to be to narrow minded in anything Sonic.

So, I might check it out one of these days.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

I'll give it a shot. I really liked SatAM back in the day (oh noes I aren't conforming to the cool opinion - ayiee!!), so if the gameplay is decent Sonic-style it ought to be good.

It's not as if any of the official games have been too impressive lately. If it's less frustrating than Sonic Advance 2, then I'll take it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Owen Axel wrote:I'll give it a shot. I really liked SatAM back in the day (oh noes I aren't conforming to the cool opinion - ayiee!!), so if the gameplay is decent Sonic-style it ought to be good.
Dude, everyone liked SatAM back in the day. They just won't admit it.

CE

Post by CE »

It plays like an uninspired platformer. In fact, the physics seem very similar to some very bad games. Congraisins, you have reached Acclaim development level. Now if only you could make the game fun...

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Is this one of those games made in "Klik n Play" or "The Games Factory"? Those aren't any fun.

Oh, and SatAM sucks.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Speaking of tremendous understatements; the gameplay needs work.

Plays like one of those really old Amiga games I had when I was a kid. So you've definitely reached the professional level of ten-fifteen years ago. Kudos.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Spazz wrote:Is this one of those games made in "Klik n Play" or "The Games Factory"? Those aren't any fun.

Oh, and SatAM sucks.
Rob coded this from scratch for the GBA. He created his very own ease-of-use scripting language that runs on actual GBA hardware (called Sv4).

While we're on the subject of fangames, however, might as well embarass myself with this:

http://blazefire.mooglecavern.com/sekrit/mween_c2.avi (18.9mb).

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Delphine wrote:Dude, everyone liked SatAM back in the day. They just won't admit it.
Not me. I hated that show even back in 1993. I always preferred the cheesy Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog over that Archie fueled crap pile. At least it isn't Sonic Underground, though.. :twisted:

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

But all the others - snooty french fox, mary-sue disgusting love interest squirrel, and fat purple walrus who steals the limelight from Tails? Buuuurn in Hell.

And poor Eggman, who went from comical but devious mastermind to CyberHitler . . . now that's a real character bastardization.
Given that this show premired in 1993, before we learned of Tails' love of putting stuff together & Eggman's personality, I'm going to say that there's a few holes in logic.

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Exactly. All the story in the US game manuals was "Robotnik is taking over the world! Sonic must get all the emeralds and stop him!"

So DiC probably had no idea about the Japanese backstory to Sonic, so they got creative and had to make their own. No one in the US knew that Tails was supposed to be a techno genius at the time. Cut 'em some slack.
I always preferred the cheesy Adventures of Sonic The Hedgehog over that Archie fueled crap pile.
Correction. SatAM's concepts came first. Archie merely used concepts from an early draft of the SatAM series Bible when they made the comic(Most of which were changed when the series made it on the air).

Anyway I didn't intend for this to be a SatAM flame topic. So let's get back on the topic at hand...what does everyone think of the actual game?
Last edited by J.E.Smith on Sat Sep 11, 2004 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Goddamnit you fucks, fangames suck.

Dache

Post by Dache »

J.E.Smith

Post by J.E.Smith »

Well give Bob some credit, Popcorn. Unlike other fangames, he created Sonic Epoch using a platforming engine he created himself called Sv4. Epoch is the first of three games he's making using the engine, next is a cool looking game called Fist of Justice based on the El-Hazard: The Wanderers anime series, and another one staring OS-tans called Windows Trouble.

Just click the link in my first post. Not only does the page feature Epoch, but also info on Sv4 and his upcoming projects.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

If he wants to make games, why the fuck does he have to make them with the worst incarnation of someone else's creation? And why doesn't he realise that anything he makes in these goddamn programs is going to automatically suck?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

No one in the US knew that Tails was supposed to be a techno genius at the time. Cut 'em some slack.
In the US "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" - the comedy Sonic series, Tails was indeed a mechanical genius. In fact, that's where I first got the whole thing. Either the writers put two and two together (where did Sonic get the rocket-powered biplane?) or it was just strange coincidence. Nonetheless . . .
Well give Bob some credit, Popcorn. Unlike other fangames, he created Sonic Epoch using a platforming engine he created himself called Sv4.
While that SOUNDS impressive, you have to remember that an outhouse made from the world's finest tools is still an outhouse - and shouldn't be treated like it was anything more because of the quality that went into it's birth.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Whatever happened to Retro-Sonic and Project Mettrix? They were the only Sonic fangames worth playing, and they disappeared clean off the face of the earth. It makes me sad :(

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Dache wrote:<a href=http://fanmade.emulationzone.org/blazef ... e.jpg>What the fuck, Blaze?</a>
What the fuck indeed, Dache.

Just havin' a little fun, that's all. Gives me an excuse to CG something every six months. Then again, you and Pop seem to be intrinsically against any notions I have of fun. Wether that says something about you, or about me, however, is left to speculation.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Speculate this, dumbo: your fun sucks. Actually, no, it's kind of basically hilarious to be honest. But other than that, it sucks.

Owen Axel

Post by Owen Axel »

Your penis must be ENORMOUS, Popcorn.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

That's not what your mum said last night!

I mean, wait, shit!

CTM

Post by CTM »

What is wrong with you people? Seriously? All the man was doing was asking what you guys thought about the game. Did you really think this was an excuse to go jump on SatAM? Really.

You people disgust me. You seem to operate under the assumption that your views are in higher regard than any others, and that it gives you the right to sit from your throne and insult people and things you don't like.
Zeta wrote:In the US "Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog" - the comedy Sonic series, Tails was indeed a mechanical genius. In fact, that's where I first got the whole thing. Either the writers put two and two together (where did Sonic get the rocket-powered biplane?) or it was just strange coincidence. Nonetheless . . .
You are looking at it from a standpoint in which you were surrounded by present-day SegaSonic with an established continuity. Can you honestly tell me that this existed at all back in 1993? Good luck trying to, because it's impossible. When SatAM was still in production (as early as 1992), Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was nearing completion. DiC knew of its existence, as well as the writers it hired to write the show. Going this far back in time, you can see how little there was to go by. AoStH portrayed Tails as being a mechanic. So what? Who said it had to be correct? The games may have hinted at it, but nothing was set in stone. SatAM went on its own path, with its own rules, storyline, and plot. And frankly, they did a good job with it. To see it 'bastardized' here just dumbfounds me. Do you people honestly know at all what makes a good quality cartoon? Apparently not. Those that base their hatred on a videogame show for the sole reason that it didn't follow the games religiously is an idiot, and close-minded to boot. Just what was so wrong with the show in that you feel the need to bash it all the time?

There's nothing wrong with holding an opinion, but the hate that I've seen expressed here is really uncalled for. You can't just go dump a huge turd on it just because it isn't SegaSonic. Respect quality and give it its due.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

In case you didn't notice, people are dumping on the game because they think it's bad, not because it's based on SatAM.

Similarly, people here who hate the SatAM show hate it because they think it sucks, not because it was unfaithful to the games. So you disagree, and think the show was great. Fine, disagree! Disagree and grow some bloody BALLS so that you can stand to hear a dissenting opinion without throwing a fit and indescriminately accusing us all of being close-minded ellitists who don't know what makes a quality cartoon.