So, what's the deal with the Sonic comics?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Spazz

Post by Spazz »

The Drano Cookie thing was awesome! Fortunately, that was the last one I bought before I stopped buying them, I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I first started buying them at about #120. I couldn't handle the American blasphemy...

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Gah, I know I'm getting flamed for that...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

and I'm pretty sure you used "Up, Over and Gone!" in place of "Sincerely." Or something along those lines.
Preposterous. Vicious libel, that's all it is.

Spazz, you live in this hovel of a white trash swamp they call a state? What town are you in?
Last edited by Green Gibbon! on Sat May 29, 2004 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aso

Post by aso »

Wait... I seem to distinctly remember reading a letter signed by a 'Green Gibbon' once. I think it was in a Knuckles comic, too...

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Spazz, you live in this hovel of a white trash swamp they call a state? What town are you in?
You might not remember me, I was the guy who asked you about Numa-Rei No Con awhile back, but yeah, I live in Metairie where your uncle lives.

(God, someone's actually talking to me?!?)

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Obviously, someone has been cloning GG! in an insane and desperate bid for word domination.

*shudders* Just picture it. A sea of Green Gibbons. Why, the amount of semen they'd produce by all simultaneously masturbating would drown half of the US. It's EEEVIL.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Green Gibbon! wrote:
and I'm pretty sure you used "Up, Over and Gone!" in place of "Sincerely." Or something along those lines.
Preposterous. Vicious libel, that's all it is.

Actually, GG said "Sonic-cerely" instead of "Sincerely."

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Esrever wrote:Actually, GG said "Sonic-cerely" instead of "Sincerely."
Yeah, that was it! I knew there was something different about it, but I couldn't rememeber what it was.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

What kind of fag comes up with stuff like "Sonic-cerely"?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

This kind!
"Dear Sonic-Grams,

I finally got SONIC LIVE! #1! Guess what? I have a book store that carries Sonic comics! Now I can subscribe to my regular Sonic fix and buy issues at the store when I want extra copies.

Oh happy days are here again! So now I know how Yuji Naka thought up a miiracle as great as Sonic... he watched the prototype in "The Last Game Cartridge Hero!" (Just kidding.) It was way cool to see Larry Lynx and Cyril The Eagle again in "The Substitute Freedom Figthers!" KnucklesQuest 2 was a special treat with Spaz art. One question: Is Merlin Prower related to Miles "Tails" Prower? Thanks for reading my letter and don't ever stop making Sonic comics!!!!

Sonic-cerely,
Green Gibbon
Church Point, LA"
Don't worry, Gibbon! They won't ever stop!

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Just out of curiosity, how old was GG! when that/those letter(s) were posted?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I can't remember what issue I found that in, but if I had to guess based on the contents of the letter, I'd say about seven.

Segata

Post by Segata »

Esrever wrote:This kind!
"Dear Sonic-Grams,

I finally got SONIC LIVE! #1! Guess what? I have a book store that carries Sonic comics! Now I can subscribe to my regular Sonic fix and buy issues at the store when I want extra copies.

Oh happy days are here again! So now I know how Yuji Naka thought up a miiracle as great as Sonic... he watched the prototype in "The Last Game Cartridge Hero!" (Just kidding.) It was way cool to see Larry Lynx and Cyril The Eagle again in "The Substitute Freedom Figthers!" KnucklesQuest 2 was a special treat with Spaz art. One question: Is Merlin Prower related to Miles "Tails" Prower? Thanks for reading my letter and don't ever stop making Sonic comics!!!!

Sonic-cerely,
Green Gibbon
Church Point, LA"
Don't worry, Gibbon! They won't ever stop!
That's too funny.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Oh lordy, the quadruple exclamation points. So cute! Dontcha just wanna pinch his cheeks?

Also, I think it was somewhere around 96-97 that those letters were sent, so... he was 15ish, maybe? I don't recall. I do know it couldn't have been more than 7 years ago, because I didn't know him before he built the GHZ.

On a completely unrelated note, I think the only people who've been going to the site longer than me are Bo and GG! himself.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I live in Metairie where your uncle lives.
Oh yeah, that's right. At least you live by New Orleans, the closest thing Louisiana has to a city.
Why, the amount of semen they'd produce by all simultaneously masturbating would drown half of the US.
That's right, and you're all gonna fuckin' LIKE it! Once the US has been inundated with the collective jizz of the Gibbon clone army, we'll hit England and then Australia. We might do Antarctica just to see if that stuff freezes, I've always been curious about that.

Alright, first of all, that's not the letter as it was originally written. They mutilate those things before they print them. Second of all, there isn't a darn one of you who can prove I was the perpetrator of that correspondence! So, HA!
I think the only people who've been going to the site longer than me are Bo and GG! himself.
Yup. It was just you, me, Bo, and EG for the longest time.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Alright, first of all, that's not the letter as it was originally written. They mutilate those things before they print them. Second of all, there isn't a darn one of you who can prove I was the perpetrator of that correspondence! So, HA!
You knew what the letter looked like when it was sent, versus what it looked like when it was published. Therefore, if it wasn't you, it's someone you know. Your father, perhaps? Were you named after him? Green Gibbon Sr and Green Gibbon Jr?

And eventually, God help us - Green Gibbon III.

*plays the Lupin III themesong*

Segata

Post by Segata »

I feel rather stupid for not having read a single Sonic comic.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I feel rather intelligent for not reading a single Sonic comic.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

plasticwingsband wrote:I feel rather intelligent for not reading a single Sonic comic.
I envy you.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I feel rather intelligent for not reading a single Sonic comic.
They're usually not AWFUL. Just convoluted and mediocre. The only thing that ever really pissed me off about the series is that they ignore just about all the major characters from the VG series (Save for Sonic and Knuckles themselves) in favor of an annoying and bland supporting cast.

Princess Sally has her moments, but she's not really drawn in a Sonic style at all, and she looks nothing like a squirrel, so she always feels "wrong". Also, all she can do is angst. That's really all the character was capable of.

Bunny had some interesting moments, but Cream trumps her simply because it's more out of place and humorous to see a little girl fight against a mad scientist than to see a cyborg do it.

The others only serve to drag everything down. Rotor steals Tails' thunder, Antoine is annoying as fuck. The only other major characters I can remember are that damn British skunk and those stupid fireants that kept on pestering Knuckles.

And the cyber-echidnas. Which totally sucked as a concept and in execution.

Ironically, Sonic X falls into the same trap with Chris and Stuart and all those other annoying human freaks. The only difference is that the humans are not covered and fur and usually suck more in a fight.

Of course, the comic's representation of Dr. Robotnik as RoboHitler complete with concentration camps and genocide is just disturbing and feels really out of place when compared to the overall feel of Sonic.

What the fuck was up with the Sonic and chili dog thing, anyways? Were they trying to rip off Ninja Turtles by giving Sonic a favorite food he always had to eat or what? I guess it's better than Sonic always eating a McDonalds hamburger, so really it goes both ways. Why pay so much attention to what your characters eat? It only somehow helps make America fatter.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

Zeta wrote: What the fuck was up with the Sonic and chili dog thing, anyways? Were they trying to rip off Ninja Turtles by giving Sonic a favorite food he always had to eat or what? I guess it's better than Sonic always eating a McDonalds hamburger, so really it goes both ways. Why pay so much attention to what your characters eat? It only somehow helps make America fatter.
Yeah! I remeber the whole Chili Dog thing from the Saturday Morning Cartoons. Someone would ask Sonic something like, "Are you going to go after Dr. Robotnik?" And he'd reply, "Are Chili Dogs a basic food-group?"

Which to most people would mean "No," but apparently, to Sonic, means "Yes!"

Man, that was stupid.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Zeta wrote:The only other major characters I can remember are that damn British skunk
I thought he was Scottish. Then again, he also had a different accent every time he appeared...

Also, I think I killed him in a fanfic once. Or I wanted to, anyway.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

I feel rather proud for spending my hard earned money on issues of Ranma 1/2(back when Viz published them in issues) than Archie's Sonic comic.

And I never liked that stupid chili dog obsession they gave Sonic. Three-fourths of it was because he acted pretty stupid like that and the last fourth was because I'm biased against anything hotdog-related.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I believe he also sent at least one using his real name.

The Almighty Bunghole

Post by The Almighty Bunghole »

I believe he also sent at least one using his real name.
Probably when he grew his first pube.

Either that, or it was so they said "Not this fucking Green Gibbon brown noser!" and published it instead of trashing it.