Anyone ever used this Dreamcast joystick?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Segata

Anyone ever used this Dreamcast joystick?

Post by Segata »

I'm seriously considering buying <<this>> joystick from Innovation1.com, as the official Agetec is getting harder to find and therefore more expensive. Has anyone ever tried this? It looks okay to me. Kind of resembles the Neo Geo home arcade stick. I know it's kind of a cheap knock-off brand, so I'm a little bit concerned about its quality and sturdiness. Any help?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Don't do it. Whatever you spend on that will be wasted. It's better to shell out an extra 30 or 40 bucks and get the official one (released in the US by Agetec).

Never, ever, ever, ever use third-party peripherals. Ever. Just don't ever fucking do it. I cannot stress this enough.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

He's right, you know.

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Never, ever, ever, ever use third-party peripherals. Ever. Just don't ever fucking do it. I cannot stress this enough.
What about the DDR dance mats? In which there is only one first party, and it sorta rare to get that one.. especially here in South Texas.

Oh, and.. (maybe it's just me) but even first party shit falls apart. I've gone through about six diffrent offical GC controllers and two XBoX controllers. Oh, well. I shouldn't be bitching to much, I've pretty much given up on gaming in general.

Segata

Post by Segata »

I'm still kind of unconvinced. Has anyone ever actually used this?

SuperKnux wrote:Oh, and.. (maybe it's just me) but even first party shit falls apart. I've gone through about six diffrent offical GC controllers and two XBoX controllers.
How can that even be possible? I mean, what kind of care do you take of this stuff? Are you getting angry and flinging them into the wall every five seconds while playing underwater?

Segata

Post by Segata »

SuperKnux

Post by SuperKnux »

Segata wrote:
SuperKnux wrote:Oh, and.. (maybe it's just me) but even first party shit falls apart. I've gone through about six diffrent offical GC controllers and two XBoX controllers.
How can that even be possible? I mean, what kind of care do you take of this stuff? Are you getting angry and flinging them into the wall every five seconds while playing underwater?
I'd like to believe it was that, but, they can't handle some games.

I've noticed my GC controllers fall apart with the party games. You'd think they would be able to handle SSB:M, the Super Monkey Balls, and all of that button mashing crap, but.. they don't.

Hell, the only controller that I ever vent on is a green, controller S, and it's (for some fucked up reason) the only one that is surviving through my broken controllers. I literally smash that one against the ground with hand, just grinding the little fucker against the floor.. and.. it still works! Out of all my controllers, the one that deserves to end up in a hospital, is the only one that is out performing all the others.

:roll:

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'm still kind of unconvinced. Has anyone ever actually used this?
Go ahead and get it. I dare you.
Oh, and.. (maybe it's just me) but even first party shit falls apart. I've gone through about six diffrent offical GC controllers and two XBoX controllers.
I can't imagine what kind of unspeakable horrors your controllers endure. I've only ever lost one controller on each, and then the Xbox one still works, it's just the vibration on the right side that seems to have gone off-balance...

Now, the official N64 controller was horseshit. Are there any of those remaining with analog sticks that still function properly?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yes. Because I never owned Mario Party.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I don't think I've ever broken a 1st party controller. Also I don't think I've ever had a 3rd part controller last more than two months.

I bet all my rumble motors still work because I always disable that function before starting a game. When you get hit by an enemy, having your controller vibrate isn't that realistic.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I used to feel that way, and when "rumble" controllers were first introduced a few years back, I thought it was the dumbest idea since one-handed controllers. However, I'm the kind of person who generally doesn't mess with the default options... if it's part of the experience they intended, I'll try to get used to it. I think the first game that used vibration in a way that really impressed me was Gran Turismo. Now I'm so used to it, it feels weird when it isn't there. Like my hands get bored, it's reached the point where I expect feedback.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

The N64 controller does suck, mines (almost) broken. And not all first party controllers are great, just look at the DDR mats when they first came out. Slippery as shit, I tell you. I guess thats why you dont see them anymore.

Segata

Post by Segata »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Go ahead and get it. I dare you.
Don't dare me. That will make me get it.

Actually, I'm leaning more towards the Mini Twin Joystick at the moment.

Grant

Post by Grant »

I triple dog dare you.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Just out of curiosity, Segata, have you ever used a third party peripheral? Ever? Especially one from Innovation? I don't understand how you can even look at that thing and not think it looks like ass.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

Oh, my old PS1 third party controllers never broke, they even had a nifty slow mo function that was a royal pain in the ass because all it did was pause and unpause the game really quickly. I think those were made by Performance. However, my Dreamcast 3rd party controllers joysticks would eventually reset its default position to think it was pointing left. And the GameCube ones' A button gets stuck underneath the plastic of the controller so you need a knife to get it out.

Dache

Post by Dache »

Agetec released an "official" Dreamcast stick in the US? The only proper official stick I've ever seen is <a href=http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large ... k.jpg>this one</a> and to be honest, it's the only one you should be considering buying at all. No other could come close.

Unless Agetec distributed that instead of Sega in the US. No one's posted a picture of it so far. That'd be odd, but okay.

Lakwren

Post by Lakwren »

Segata wrote:How can that even be possible? I mean, what kind of care do you take of this stuff? Are you getting angry and flinging them into the wall every five seconds while playing underwater?
I fling my GC controller at the wall when I'm pissed, and it STILL works. I bang it against the table, nothing happens to it. But I shook it a little and heard a little rattling. No matter, though. It still works like a charm. I regret doing that to it, because if I did break it that would be $25 down the drain.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I bought a third-party GC controller and it literally broke 1 hour after I got it home.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Unless Agetec distributed that instead of Sega in the US.
Yeah, that's how it was. I'm kind of surprised Sega brought over the fishing rod peripheral, but passed on the fighting stick. I used it for the eight or nine fighting games I played on the DC. It's swell, but I always thought the green buttons were an odd aesthetic choice...

Now there's like, a new stick released for every single fighting game. I have a total of 6 different sticks on my shelf right now...

Ash Holt

Post by Ash Holt »

I've got that damned Airflo EX controller for the Xbox, and it works pretty well. The only real problem for me is the damn analog sticks are too loose, but other than that it's fine.

Every other third party pad I've ever used was pure crap. :\. And both of my 1st party N64 controllers both have gritty, shitty analog sticks now, and the left analog stick on my Controller S isn't so smooth anymore. I'm probably going to buy another one sometime soon though.

Segata

Post by Segata »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Just out of curiosity, Segata, have you ever used a third party peripheral? Ever? Especially one from Innovation? I don't understand how you can even look at that thing and not think it looks like ass.
Of course I've used third party peripharels and of course, I've had mixed results. I was asking for opinions on this specific product, not massive generalizations about anything not branded by Sega. However, I don't think I've ever bought anything from Innovation, and as such I think it makes sense that I would be asking about it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

You could describe all dog shit as being stinky and it's a massive generalization, but it's still true. Of course the degree to which dog shit stinks is based on many factors, including how old it is, what kind of dog it was, what the dog ate, etc, etc. But it all stinks. The only real difference between dog shit and after market peripherals is that dog shit is at least appealing to flies.

Squirrelknight
Utada wants me so much

Post by Squirrelknight »

From what I hear, the new Logitech wireless PS2 controller (the new small one, not the old boomerang) is superior to the Sony's standard Dual Shock 2 in every way-- At least, that's what the majority of the reviews say... It's pretty much the only third party controller I'm considering. Plus, my Dual Shock 2 has this nasty habit of the shoulder buttons not coming back up after being pressed down (making Zone of the Enders 2,Gungrave, or any racing game impossible to play)

Having just bought an Xbox, I can say I'm pretty happy with the Controller S now that I'm getting to spend some extended time with it... Though, if anyone knows of a controller where the black and white buttons are placed some reachable (other than the old Controller F), that'd really help me out... I need to switch my grenades faster in Halo and I need to be able to take pictures faster in Shenmue... I've been trying so hard to get a picture of Xiuying's panties (her dress flies up often! yay!) but so far, its been futile...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Logitech's the odd exception. Their shit is super high quality, but it's usually more expensive than the first party stuff. In some cases, such as the GT steering wheels, they're commissioned by Sony to make the official product. I haven't seen their new wireless controller, though.

Hori also makes some decent stuff, especially fighting sticks, but they're only in Japan.