Sorry about the downtime

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Sorry about the downtime

Post by Segaholic2 »

Hey everyone, sorry for the downtime! Our webhost upgraded the PHP versions on our sites and I didn't realize that would break all the PHPBB stuff, including the website. I also didn't notice until G.Silv and Locit separately messaged me on Twitter and email. So, thanks to those guys.

I know I've been absent for a long time, but I've just been busy with Life and the usual crap I'm sure you're all busy with too. Just wanted to reassure everyone that we're still kicking and I have no plans to take down or cease hosting this twisted little corner of the internet. That was purely an accident, and you can blame my incompetence! THANKS!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Sorry about the downtime

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'm really glad everything's back. I thought this might have actually been the time that the site went permanently down.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

Yeah I thought the site was down for good, and I regretted only occasionally lurking and not posting for the last, let's check my last post now....five years? Damn, I had so many thoughts on Sonic Mania I forgot all about. Guess I'll see you guys in five years for my twice-a-decade posting.

Really though I hope you guys are doing well, especially with all the COVID-19 craziness disrupting everything right now. This place was weirdly formative to me in my teenage years as awkward as that might sound, and really opened my eyes to a lot of different viewpoints and cool media and art I might not have checked out otherwise. There was definitely a higher quality of posting here than other forums I went to at the time, not to mention all kinds of creative, funny, or just strange but still endearing users here, and it was a small enough place to get to know everyone but big enough that it felt like something new was still going on every day. Comparatively I probably didn't contribute much here myself, but I appreciate you guys putting up with me being a dumb kid at the time. There were definitely worse places on the internet I could have wasted my time at.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I am so happy that The Ghz is back! I too thought the plug had been pulled and was deeply sad about it, so it's great to see that's not the case. Hope you are all keeping safe among COVID19.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Well I got an email from my webhost saying that we will be upgraded to PHP 7.2 a week from today, on 4/16/20. This is going to break the site again if I don't do anything.

So, I'm going to have to try to upgrade phpBB before that day. I'm hoping it goes pretty smoothly, but some or all of the integrations to the front page might break because of this. I probably won't be able to do anything about that any time soon.

Just a heads up that we're in for some turbulence imminently. I'll probably try to work on the site this weekend.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Glad everything's up and running again! I was worried the site had gone with no fanfare (or archive).

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

We're back! I updated phpBB to the latest version, which should be compatible with the web server PHP version for the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, this broke the front page and newsboard integrations, so for now I reverted the front page back to the old static page, which should at least provide access to all the site content.

I might try to fix the front page at some point, or maybe big_smile would like to help me out with that? Ehhhh??

Anyways, enjoy, everyone! Welcome back again.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Whoa, things no longer stretch across the entire screen...

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Segaholic2 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:06 am
I might try to fix the front page at some point, or maybe big_smile would like to help me out with that? Ehhhh??
Might be awhile before I can look at it, sorry.
Ooh, this board's got new features.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Glad this place hasn't sunk fully into oblivion just yet. Where else could I go to look at those stupid Green Gibbon posts about Passepartout every five to seven years?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Good to hear from you 'Holic! And thank you for keeping this place up and running; it is much appreciated.