New major game, old minor lame

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jingles

New major game, old minor lame

Post by Jingles »

The confusingly-abbreviated SXSW Gaming convention apparently happened today, and brought with it confirmation of the next major Sonic title being in development and an animated short based on Team Sonic Racing (blue arms at 0:31) in the style of Sonic Mania Adventures, with another to come later. TSR now has vehicle customization, so if you like customizing vehicles, you'll probably like customizing your vehicle in TSR. That's all!

The short is as bland as the game itself looks to be, but the colours were kind of nice and I appreciate that the Modern designs haven't been completely tossed out the window. No further details were announced on the "major" game besides the fact that it exists, so let's all pray that it doesn't turn out to be a piece of merchandising for the movie. Wouldn't that just be awful?

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: New major game, old minor lame

Post by big_smile »

I am glad they are doing more animated shorts, but I wish they had kept them for Classic Sonic. We're so used to seeing Modern Sonic talking, so he doesn't pull off the silence as well as Classic Sonic (even though I still think it's dumb that they don't let classic Sonic talk). Also, 2D animation is a nice compliment to the classic sprites. It doesn't suit a 3D game in the same way and so lacks the charm Classic Sonic animation would have. It feels like Modern Sonic is trying to ape his predecessor.

Regarding the new game: Sonic's 30th just around the corner, so I hope they save it for 2021. I know that means effectively having two-anniversary titles in a row, but I'd rather have that then them releasing a new game for 2020 and then rushing to put something out for 2021.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I did enjoy that short but something felt a bit off to me. I don't think the modern designs really suit that style of animation as well as the classic versions did plus it's really jarring having the modern cast suddenly be mute considering usually they can't shut up. I don't think Team Sonic Racing is a premise that really works well in animated shorts either although it's probably for the best there's only going to be two this time. Although that sounds quite negative I did like it and I look forward to seeing the next one but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the Mania shorts.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Those screenshots look like they include a cyberspace-looking track that looks very similar to Digital Circuit in Shadow. Seeing as the majority of tracks shown off so far are direct homages, I wonder if this was intentional?

That's pretty neat, I guess, but I hope the new game after Team Sonic Racing keeps the nostalgia on the back burner. It really is starting to wear thin.