Sonic 1 for Nintendo Switch

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic 1 for Nintendo Switch

Post by big_smile »

The forthcoming emulated version of Sonic 1 for Nintendo Switch will have spinsdash, dropdash and worldwide rankings:
https://mobile.twitter.com/SonicJPNews/ ... 9992164353

Kudos for them to putting extra effort into emulation. But why go to all that effort, when they could port the 2011 remasters which are far, far superior. As I understand it, Mania on Switch was ported by a third party, so couldn't they do the same with the Remasters? Gah, Sega you drive me nuts!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Sonic 1 for Nintendo Switch

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Is this version 16:9?

The more time goes on the more ambivalent I am towards remasters in general. It does vary from case to case what is and isn't an acceptable change, such as the altering of aspect ratio. In old side-scrollers enemies' and sometimes hazards/obstacles' behaviorisms are contingent on the player characters proximity to them, ie, they only activate when you're near them. Some enemies, eg, wasps zoom in much sooner (though they might have been sped up to compensate?) but the sea urchins just statically hover in place waiting for you (though they sort of did in Sonic 3) which you'd never see in the 4:3 original.

On the other sweaty fanboy mitt, a much more stable 60fps and no perceivable input latency are major, major pluses. And it's hard to fault those who appreciate the greater reaction time a letterbox ratio endows, even if the games were designed for a narrower horizontal view.

Realistically no one is going to program a 4:3 mode just for a weirdo like me.

I dunno, are improvements always improvements?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Nope this version is 4:3.

Although I think with the Taxman/Stealth remasters, if they were played on certain devices they would switch from 16:9 to 4:3.

I must admit, with the Sonic remasters I preferred 16:9. It made it feel so much fresher to replay again. I also liked that they had added the Sonic 3 power ups. In fact, I wish they had gone all out with the changes and switched up the enemies and obstacles.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Oh don't get me wrong. Customizability is very much appreciated. In fact they needn't be added via secret code like they are in the remasters. That is, however, so long as the new(er) elements aren't on by default.

Codes are also oddly something that must be done to play as closely to the originals as the remasters allow, with speed caps and such not set to their original mode. It's inconsistent, really.

I wouldn't know if forcing the remasters into 4:3 works in making them flow more like the originals, but that's not something the end user should have to work out themselves via outside means, to say nothing of alternate hardware, even if it did.

But yes the elemental barriers and insta-shield are such good logical complements to the core formula that it's kind of hard to resist using them. But, y'know.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/sega-ages-a ... r-force-ac

Sonic 1 isn't out yet, but Sega has confirmed that Sonic 2 is coming to the Switch.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://gonintendo.com/stories/321696-s ... s-for-soni

In a Japanese interview, M2 mention that for Sonic 2, they would like to include things that Yuji Naka wanted to do in Sonic 2, but couldn’t because of limitations in the Mega Drive hardware.

It sounds very exciting, although Sega only seems to allow a small budget for these titles, so I doubt it will be anything extensive.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://archives.sega.jp/segaages/sonic2/
So over a year on, Sega's finally releasing this game.

Doesn't look like there's going to be any lost Mega Drive additions. The new features are fairly similar to the Sonic 1 release, although the Mega Play/Mega Tech version seems to have been dropped. The Knuckles in Sonic 2 Rom has been added.