Everybody Super Sonic failing... (Team Sonic Racing)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Everybody Super Sonic failing... (Team Sonic Racing)

Post by big_smile »

Walmart just leaked the new Sonic racing game:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Team-Sonic-R ... /481595318

Sega's previously teased a Sonic R link, but it looks like this new game has nothing to do with the Saturn title.

I don't quite understand why they were teasing Sonic R previously, as that just set up the expectation that the new game would have an on foot mode (in addition to the cars).
The logo just references Sonic R for empty nostalgia.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Everybody Super Sonic failing... (Team Sonic Racing)

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

:lol:

I'm always for new villains, pretty sure he's one in the Nitrous Oxide mold (who's one of my fave Crash Bandicoot characters for whatever that's worth). Though he reminds me of so many other characters to the point of distraction, not just the Ancient Minister. Like, isn't his hat from one of those Puyo Puyo characters?

But yeah, this seems to be just All-star minus the general Sega theme? Wonder what could possibly be the motive. Is this one actually going to be a part of the primary continuity so IDW can properly adapt/advertise it? What?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

What does the "Team" mean? Will we get wisps riding along in a side-car? They'd best have some sort of gimmick lined up, because otherwise this game looks utterly generic in every regard. (I quite liked the little guitar tune in the trailer, though.)
Dr. BUGMAN wrote: Wonder what could possibly be the motive.
Transformed's roster was bloated to the point of ridicule, especially on PC. I'm not surprised that they wanted to distance themselves from Wreck-it Ralph & Danica Patrick's Wacky Races, but I do expect a few Sonic Team characters as unlockables (a la Riders) or DLC.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Jingles wrote:What does the "Team" mean?
Team Sonic Racing == Team Sonic from Sonic Heroes are the only playable characters.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The description says it will have a story mode. I liked it better when these racing games didn't have a story, that way I could write them off as not being part of the overall story line, as the idea of Sonic in a car still bugs me.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'm pretty stoked for this. The first two games were great, Transformed especially. I'm not sure this will beat Transformed - it set a really high bar - but if it's at least as good as the first one I'll be satisfied.
Jingles wrote:What does the "Team" mean?
"Team Racing Race as a team, win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate."
Jingles wrote:Will we get wisps riding along in a side-car?
"Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!"
Jingles wrote:
Dr. BUGMAN wrote: Wonder what could possibly be the motive.
Transformed's roster was bloated to the point of ridicule, especially on PC. I'm not surprised that they wanted to distance themselves from Wreck-it Ralph & Danica Patrick's Wacky Races, but I do expect a few Sonic Team characters as unlockables (a la Riders) or DLC.
The product description says 15 characters, so it'll probably just be the Sonic mainstays. It would be great to have DLC to get to the deep cuts like Fang, Metal Knuckles or Emerl/G-merl, but I'm not expecting it. Transformed's fan service came more from its tracks than its characters, so hopefully they'll pick some of the classics Sonic Generations missed - Star Light, Mystic Cave, Ice Cap, Twinkle Park?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Can the cars can still transform into other vehicles? That was what made All Stars Transformed such a great game, IMO.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Out of interest, what was so great about Transformed? I thought it was incredible dull. The track selection from the Sonic games weren't that exciting. The transformed gimmick was a neat idea, but the game usually controlled when you could change which was a waste of potential. The tracks barely had any alternative routes (although there were exceptions). Even the power ups seemed dull with generic bees and things and the music felt lazy (Why does Sky Sanctuary suddenly switch to Regal Ruin?). It just felt like a generic racer, which I suppose wasn't a bad thing, but there was nothing fresh or innovative about it.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Image
:lol:

I'm always for new villains, pretty sure he's one in the Nitrous Oxide mold (who's one of my fave Crash Bandicoot characters for whatever that's worth). Though he reminds me of so many other characters to the point of distraction, not just the Ancient Minister. Like, isn't his hat from one of those Puyo Puyo characters?
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's Eggman in disguise. He's already tried that already in one racing which was relatively unpopular, so maybe Sonic Team / Sumo feels that nobody would really pipe up about them repeating that.

I too am wondering what kind of gimmick the game will employ to set itself apart from other racers. Mario Kart 8 is a really tough act to follow and if the game does turn out to be pretty generic, that will be the first comparison people make. The game's title maybe suggests some sort of team-up mechanic, but unless they decide to ape Double Dash, I'm not seeing how any such gimmick wouldn't be clunky and awkward.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote: I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it's Eggman in disguise. He's already tried that already in one racing which was relatively unpopular, so maybe Sonic Team / Sumo feels that nobody would really pipe up about them repeating that.
Nah, it's totally Sega Chan™ under coercion from the new big villain Verboten™.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201806/05158419.html

Famitsu have confirmed that Rouge and Omega will be present, as well as the Bomb, Cube and Eagle Wisps. No signs of the drill Wisp who is the only one to have appeared in every single game, but it's still early.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2018/06/05/co-o ... art-racers
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... -the-genre
http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... /#/slide/1

Lots of outlets are doing previews. It looks like while racing, you have to send power ups to help the other members of your team win alongside you.
In theory, this sounds interesting, but I can't imagine how good it will work in practice, unless they have some well written AI. It doesn't help that the released video clips aren't that exciting.

Wombatwarlord777

To be blunt, I don't even think this sounds good in theory. The thrill of racing is leaving all of your opponents in the dust, ("Yeah!! Fucking finally!"), not collaboratively being the first-placed team because you came in fifth but your CPU ally came in first ("Wait- Did we win? Oh. Yay."). I guess it could be fun for parents who play with their young kids, or with friends who doesn't usually play racing games but are eager to try it out regardless, but those are incredibly specific circumstances. I don't think that anybody with even a little bit of experience in the genre is going to be impressed.

I honestly don't think SEGA can beat Mario Kart at their own racing game, so the best thing might be to make it as different as possible. Make it truly a game of skill (as opposed to luck and item management) and fairly free of gimmicks (focusing more on pure speed and land racing, as opposed to anti-grav and underwater and hanggliding segments). As different as Transformed was, I thought this was still the way at least the Sumo Digital games were trending.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://youtu.be/AOVwk0IqTu0

So apparently there'll be three classes: speed, power, & technique. Which I guess are equivalents to sprint, heavy, & handling found in MK and such? So no Mario/Crash all-rounder types, then? Seems odd to pare down what seems already bog-standard.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

This can only mean Ken & Warren are back. I guess Sonic Team must lack fluency in English to not understand how dreadful these writers are.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

That's a salient inquiry. Who is Shadow's father, Gerald or Black Doom? Both were integral in his birth, but neither raised him. Tails, too, is presumably sans progenitors and thus his gibe comes from a place of empathy for Shadow's lamentations. However, in questioning the dynamics of non-heteronormative parentage Tails may have betrayed his own bigotry, assured that whatever his circumstance at least he is a product of a male-female pairing.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Team Rose now confirmed for this game.

That's right, you'll be able to play as Amy, Big and Cream a random group of Chao!

I'm a bit surprised considering there's only meant to be 15 characters on the roster.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I am surprised they didn't bring back Cream. I am not a fan of her, but it would have been a nod to Heroes. And she could have worked well with a team of Chao.

Cream and Amy were brilliant in Sonic Battle. And then in Sonic Advance 3, they formed Team Jubilee and became the girl Sonic & Tails. But I guess Cream spending time with Blaze caused them to split up. Little girls can be so mean to each other.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I'm reticent to criticize Cream on account I'm not now or every was a little girl. I'm guessing she failed to capture that intended audience, or even any peripheral audience aside from those unsavory enough to put even Sega off their lunch.

Wombatwarlord777

I continue to be boggled why Sega doesn't release a Chao Garden smart phone app. If they did, a tutorial character would be the perfect role to dump Cream into for eternity.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I'm reticent to criticize Cream on account I'm not now or every was a little girl. I'm guessing she failed to capture that intended audience, or even any peripheral audience aside from those unsavory enough to put even Sega off their lunch.
I get the impression Cream was solely created to fill the fly position on Team Rose rather than to expand the user base. She seemed to be a favorite of Dimps as she popped up a lot in the handheld series.

Sonic Team dialed back on the auxiliary cast starting with Sonic Colors and have only recently begun slowly introducing them. They also dropped the original handheld series with Rush Adventure (and it seems with Lost World the line has been cancelled completely). I am sure if it wasn't for these factors, Cream wouldn't have faded into obscurity.

I wasn't actually a fan of the character (mainly because she's rather bland), although I did enjoy her interactions with Amy in Sonic Battle.

Blaze and Silver have't been announced for this racing game yet, so Cream could still finish up their trio.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I'm reticent to criticize Cream on account I'm not now or every was a little girl. I'm guessing she failed to capture that intended audience, or even any peripheral audience aside from those unsavory enough to put even Sega off their lunch.
Pachuka had a hard-on for her. We all know how that turned out.
big_smile wrote: I get the impression Cream was solely created to fill the fly position on Team Rose rather than to expand the user base.
She was introduced in Sonic Advance 2. Unless Dimps introduced her solely for Sega's upcoming Heroes instalment.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

It's been stated in various interviews that she was designed for Heroes but then introduced in Sonic Advance 2 so they wouldn't have to waste time in Heroes with her introduction.

The early footage of Cream's gameplay in Sonic Advance 2 actually had a reoccurred Amy Rose head icon for the life counter (which looked silly). In fact, nearly all of Cream's sprites are just modifications of Amy's.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Maybe it's my inadequate sleep last night but there's something vaguely amusing about this grouping.

Vector:"Word."

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Do the vehicle designs have to be so one-note? Blaze is a cat! Therefore, her car has cat ears. PERFECT!

I actually thought Silver's kart was floating, which would have been interesting. Then I opened the full-size image in a separate window and was instantly disappointed.