Sonic Mania Plus [Spoiler free thread]

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic Mania Plus [Spoiler free thread]

Post by big_smile »

Use this thread for spoiler free discussion of Mania Plus, including any official trailers. Use the other thread for discussing leaks from the version that was accidentally released early on PS4.

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: Sonic Mania Plus [Spoiler free thread]

Post by big_smile »

Official Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUhuOwwD4n8

The updated will be released for the more than reasonable price of $5.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... w-famitsu/

^ Translation of an interview with Sonic Team in Famitsu. Ray and Mighty are referred to as sealed characters who originally were never going to be used again. There's a couple of details about the duos new moves.

Interestingly, Iizuka mentions that Mania has been selling well with kids.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

At this point, the thing I'm most interested in is Encore Mode. I suppose it's essentially a hard difficulty for the game, but it also sounds like their way of showcasing Mighty and Ray's new abilities without having to tear up the existing stages in Mania Mode.

I mean, it's sort of a novel way to do that, and regardless it's more content, so I can't think of any reason to be very wary of it.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I'm glad they seem to be making special routes for Ray and Mighty. Multiple characters have failed in virtually every game since Sonic 3 &K, because they either just act as skins or they have their own routes which are too short.

They certainly seem to providing a lot of content for a $5 upgrade, so it doesn't look like there will be anything to complain about.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 84oub7OWeA
^ A fun little fan made video about Amy in Sonic Mania.

I know including a playable Amy would probably be outside of the game's budget (especially if they do her properly and make her a slower paced character), but I hope she does make a bigger appearance in Mania Plus.

Wombatwarlord777

Wow, that was cold as ice. The way it lingers on the last scene for just a little too long is exquisite.

It does kind of seem odd to relegate Amy to a small (albeit memorable) cameo in Mania, but I guess a running theme of the game is to give characters who have never really had their day in the spotlight a chance to shine. I guess what I'm really saying is that I'm looking forward to the new Witchcart and Battle Kukku XVI bosses.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I've always wanted a behind the scenes video of Mania and Sega finally did one, starting with a focus on the art and design:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BUGPG4CrE0

Sadly it's a bit disappointing. There's a few glimpses of sketches but nothing meaty. And the developers don't really say anything interesting.

They do show off encore mode, which truth be told, looks a little disgusting as, visually at least, it's just a palette swap. Even Ray and Mighty don't seem that interesting. Having said that, I was never too keen on the idea of revisiting old stages and the Mania team did an excellent job. Taxman and Stealth have never let us down so far, so I still have complete faith that they will deliver.

Wombatwarlord777

I know this because I spoil everything for myself, but the palette swaps for Encore Mode really do run the gamut from beautiful to what-the-hell-were-they-thinking ugly. There's one zone in Encore Mode in particular where one act looks like one of the best color combinations given the setting ever (as in far better than the original), and then the other act looks horrifically bland, if not outright bad, at least imo.