Sega Mega Drive Classics

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sega Mega Drive Classics

Post by big_smile »

https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/973936804763123712
https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2018/03 ... -29th-may/

Sega is releasing a new Mega Drive collection for modern consoles. It will contain over 50 games with online play, mirror mode and rewind.

With 2D games selling extremely well on Switch it seems baffling that Sega have omitted that platform. On the plus side, the game has a rather neat trailer.

Jingles

Re: Sega Mega Drive Classics

Post by Jingles »

Online multiplayer is indeed very nice. Lack of Sonic 3 in any capacity and no Switch or (presumably) Mac versions is not. I'll pass, thanks!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

It is always kind of amazing whenever we get a Mega Drive compilation like this and the Sonic titles stop at Sonic 2 or they skip to Spinball or 3D Blast. Hell, at that point, just release Sonic & Knuckles as a standalone title if the Sonic 3 music rights are that big of a hassle.

Otherwise, it's not a bad selection of games at all, even if the lack of Ecco is a little jarring.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I guess this means we've all become too jaded to automatically jump to "they left out Sonic 3 because Sega's going to have Taxman and Stealth do a big S3K port?"

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The rumour mill suggests Sonic Mania Plus is next from Team Taxman and Stealth, so a Sonic 3 & K port seems unlikely. They are making an announcement tomorrow, so not long to find out.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I don't see why a 3&K remaster would have to be helmed by tax-stealth; the retro engine and physics guide are already there. The hard work is already done. Not to mention competent programmers itchy for the opportunity.

(Of course this isn't the case, but y'know)

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

In Sonic Mania, a lot of the level obstacles are based on Sonic 3 & K's ones. I am secretly hoping that was Taxman & Stealth way of getting all the hard work done to make it easier to port the game. Not long till we find out. Although seeing as Sega failed to release this latest Mega Drive collection on Switch, part of me suspects that they are going to misinterpret the success of Mania and end up making an announcement that will be both baffling and disappointing.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Apropos of nothing, I just recalled something I've been curious about. Has anyone ever thought run/record Sonic & Knuckles Collection through a Roland MT-32? Apparently why MIDI soundtracks sound lackluster is because it's reliant on nonstandardized instruments, and the MT-32 is apparently leagues above everything in this regard.

Point being, if it's S3's MD soundtrack is really an issue they may as well remaster the PC versions music using this if push comes to shove.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'd rather them just hire some YouTube Genesis composer and make new unique tracks. The PC Ice Cap just doesn't fit the stage at all, Carnival Night is okay but meanders something fierce, and Launch Base is great as a mid-game high but not as an end-game climax.

Nobody young would care, and a lot of people old enough to remember the original games know what the situation is.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Carnival Night Act 2 has grown on me in recent years, truly. Especially as the dread barrel is an issue no more.

I looked a bit deeper into the Roland MT-32 and S&KC doesn't show up on the compatibility list. However, I came across a rip using a YPG-235 synthesizer and it certainly sounds better than I've ever heard it before, including Sonic 3 Complete. I don't know if it's what S&KC was composed for, or if it's the best option available, but I'd be content with buying a remaster using it. I daresay it's damn near SNES quality.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:I'd rather them just hire some YouTube Genesis composer and make new unique tracks. The PC Ice Cap just doesn't fit the stage at all, Carnival Night is okay but meanders something fierce, and Launch Base is great as a mid-game high but not as an end-game climax.
I hate the PC S&K Collection tracks. If replacement tracks are needed for a Sonic 3 re-release/remaster to happen, then I'd want them to hire Sonic Mania's Tee Lopes.