What do we want for 'Sonic Mania 2'?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Emperor Omochao

What do we want for 'Sonic Mania 2'?

Post by Emperor Omochao »

I'm not entirely sure how financially successful Sonic Mania was but I am fairly certain that the sequel is already in the works. My question is where does Sonic go from here without getting too repetitive?

Essentially I want a game that builds from Sonic Mania, keeping its core but adding a few extras:

1. More zones. Extra zones, unlockable zones, secret zones. I was a little surprised how short Sonic Mania was, considering it was released on PS4 etc. Why not 20 zones? Is it too hard to develop? Is there really a downside towards having an even more epic 2D adventure?

2. Better story line. Not sure if I'm in the minority, but I really love going into the mythology of Sonic's world whether its Angel Island or the Little Planet. It could be because I read the comic tie-ins and played the genesis games in tandem. Sonic Mania's plot was pretty unclear and superficial, especially going back and forth between Angel Island and Little Planet. Why was this necessary? What was being built on the Little Planet?

3. Better zone transitions. I feel S3&K did this the best; there should be zone transitions between every zone (I don't think a late reordering of zones is a good excuse not to have this) and there should be more dynamic between the backgrounds of zones and what will occur next. Seeing the Death Egg rise behind Sky Sanctuary is a good example. When Sonic left Flying Battery, there was no reason why they couldn't show Tails rescuing Sonic on his biplane and taking off to the desert for the next level.

4. Freshness. Have we had enough of Tails and Knuckles for now? I like having only 3 very different playable characters. Sonic, Espio and Rouge could be interesting as long as they keep it simple and unique. We already know Espio can walk on walls and Rouge can dig; it could be fun. A parallel to S3&K. Possibly involving rescuing Mighty on a different part of Sonic's world with its own myths and legends.This ties in to story line.

5. Unlockables. I'm finding myself replaying Sonic Mania but with nothing to look for. I'd like extra missions with a decent reward (e.g. level concept art or more in depth story chapters relating to the plot). I don't mind looking for red rings throughout zones etc.

6. Diverse gameplay. Can we imagine the use of wisps on a traditional sonic game (i.e. without boost)? Why not take the most commendable aspect of modern Sonic and put them to even better use. I also liked Sonic & Tails (&2) having Sonic hop on a spring, use booster jets etc. as special items. I also really loved Sonic Rush 2's sea faring mini-levels. Those could be fun.

In short, I think Sonic Mania was an excellent proof of concept; it is possible to recapture the magic of old Sonic. Without veering into a repetition of the Advance/Rush series, is it possible to have a traditional Sonic game that is also infused with fresh concepts?

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: What do we want for 'Sonic Mania 2'?

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Here are my thoughts, in no particular order...

-The sequel will be expected to be at least +12 full zones long. That said, I'm personally fine with a game that has 8 or 9 zones. Beefier than Sonic 3, shorter than the epic of Sonic 3 & Knuckles, which is what I think is the sweet spot for a game that can be finished in one sitting.

-That said, there are some caveats I have concerning the zones. No more rehashes of old zones. The new level themes should be fun and innovative, if not entirely original. Mirage Saloon didn't have the most innovative of motifs, but it was presented in a colorful fun way and still lent itself to a lot of fun gimmicks. Make more unique paths for Knuckles. Make unique paths period for Tails, maybe with fans that can propel him and only him up obscenely high while flying or make an extended flight section where he has to avoid obstacles and gather pickups that refill his stamina. And if they have water levels, I'd really like to see them somehow implement an object that acts like the Drill Wisp did in Aquarium Park. That was a great way replicate Sonic-like speeds underwater.

-I'd really like to see them do something neat with the Bubble Shield, like they did with the Flame and Thunder Shields. Going back to water, maybe a Bubble Shield would prevent Sonic from sinking in water, essentially allowing the player to roll on the water's surface. You could even work physics into it; If Sonic jumps into a pool of water from a sufficient height, he could dive into the water for a bit before he starts to rise back up. That could allow the player to duck under an obstacle on the surface and reach a grotto with a Special Stage Ring or something.

-While expanding upon the series's existing lore is fine, I would prefer that the new game introduce a new major element into the franchise's ongoing story. The Death Egg. Angel Island. Little Planet. Something iconic like these that the game's plot can revolve around. I'm so disappointed that the Phantom Ruby, Sonic Mania's big addition to the series's lore, was such a cool concept, before its exact properties and potential became a muddled mess during the course of Sonic Forces. I'd like a setting or artifact in the new game that is clearly defined and readily identifiable.

-Heck yeah, better zone transitions. This seems to be something that shouldn't be a huge hassle.

-A new playable character, but I'm having trouble thinking of something that would fit into Sonic's physics-based gameplay while still being innovative. Someone with a projectile attack? Someone that consumes Rings to perform special moves? I dunno.

-I honestly wouldn't mind DLC, assuming the base game feels sufficiently complete, if only to extend interest about the game. Two rounds of it, each introducing a new playable character (say Amy and Metal Sonic) and a new full zone would be great.