Sonic 3D is getting a Director's Cut

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic 3D is getting a Director's Cut

Post by big_smile »

For a while now, Jon Burton has posting prototypes of Sonic 3D on YouTube. He recently announced that he will be doing a new 'fanmade' Director's Cut of the game.

The update will be distributed as a patch and will include:
Control improvements
Gameplay enhancements
Super Sonic
Save game mode

Find out more here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... _aal1U7bGQ

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: Sonic 3D is getting a Director's Cut

Post by big_smile »

Given Sega's relationship with 'fan' developers, it would be nice if they worked with Jon to make this official and had the game released on the same platforms as Mania.

It would also be nice if Jon could work on the Saturn version as that had slightly better graphics, far superior special stages and I think it had tighter controls as well. In fact, the only thing the Saturn version was really missing was a save mode (which made no sense, because the console had built in memory).

I'd also love it if Jon could do a DC of Sonic R. I still think Sonic R has some of the best 3D Sonic level design. It's too bad Sonic Team weren't inspired by its design for their 3D games. If they had followed the direction of Sonic R, I don't think the Modern series would be in such a mess.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

This is awesome. I've been following his channel for some time now and it's amazing the amount of tricks Traveller's Tales used to get the most out of the Mega Drive.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Sonic 3D and Sonic R were great games and it's really cool to see the original developer going back and re-tooling their work. I guess TT also does the Lego games including Lego Dimensions. Sonic Dimensions was fantastic. It's getting to the point where Sonic Team is being outdone by TT and the Sonic fan games community. I'm really glad classic Sonic is making a resurgence.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... O-N2WHbnqU
Trailer for the new game.

It looks quite impressive, with Super Sonic, a new time attack mode and level editor. There's a new world hub which is a neat idea, but doesn't look that good, although I suppose the limits of the system would prevent anything else. All in all though it seems to be a good improvement over the original.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I've always wondered if sonic 3D blast would have been better if it wasn't a sonic game. Like if they kept the whole finding flickey gameplay but they changed the whole characters and artwork so it wasn't sonic. People want sonic for speed and I wonder if they made the game based on a brand new IP the game would have got better reviews.

Sometimes I also wonder if the werehog in Unleashed would have been better if they just turned the werehog into Ristar.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Majestic Joey wrote:I've always wondered if sonic 3D blast would have been better if it wasn't a sonic game. Like if they kept the whole finding flickey gameplay but they changed the whole characters and artwork so it wasn't sonic. People want sonic for speed and I wonder if they made the game based on a brand new IP the game would have got better reviews.
Well, the developers surely wouldn't be so pressured to have the playable character move around so damn fast in the first place, which I assume is why 3D Blast had such loose and slippery controls. I honestly do enjoy 3D Blast for its exploration elements, but the lack of precise controls and sufficient reaction time to obstacles hampers that quite a bit.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Wasn't silver's gameplay in Sonic 06 supposed to be for a different game? I feel like every time there is a weird gameplay choice in a sonic game its because it was tacked on from a scrapped project.

But yeah 3d blast was a weak game because of the controls but this remake looks like it could make the game play much better. Make 3d blast great again! (even though it was never great...)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Yeah, a fast character like Sonic really wasn't suited to an isometric platformer. Has there ever been a really good sprite-based isometric platformer though? The sub-genre itself seems like a tough nut to crack, and immediately became obsolete with the advent of polygonal 3D graphics anyway.

Super Mario 3D Land is the direct evolution of this kind of game, but it wouldn't have worked nearly as well if it were limited to 2D sprites.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I don't know if you'd consider it a platformer, but I think the isometric perspective works really well with the ball physics of Marble Madness.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Super Mario RPG handled its platforming quite well. Obviously it was a much slower-paced game and enemy traversal wasn't a huge deal, but I never felt annoyed by the controls.

I actually kinda like the original 3D Blast, and I'll play this version when it comes out. That being said, a tad more focus on the special stages would be appreciated - backporting the Saturn levels is probably far too much to ask, but surely the short obstacle courses of the MD game could have had a bit more done with them? I dunno, add some springs or something just for a bit of visual flair if nothing else.