Has Rouge been kept abreast of this?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wooduck51

Has Rouge been kept abreast of this?

Post by Wooduck51 »

Sonic and hooters teaming up?

I mean, I really have no words to say; uncomfortable? Unexpected? Really I just wish this had happened 7 or 8 years ago just to see the resulting thread here.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re: Has Rouge been kept abreast of this?

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'm not sure if this ranks above or below ShTH's guns and almost-swearing or the Elise love story on the Bizarro meter.

This doesn't seem to be about raising awareness of the game. Fallen away Sonic fans will surely have heard about Mania, and in the process been exposed to its antithetical counterpart, and targeting groups that don't follow gaming news at a titty bar would be laughable. Unless the SoJ marketing team is governed by complete idiots, this has to be about promoting an image. And I don't think it's simple "Sonic is not just for kids," a perception Nintendo has battled a couple of times over the years with much more logical promotions. Are they trying to tell us that Forces will be an adult game? Will there be suggestive dialog? Will your fursona be able to romance members of the team ala Mass Effect?

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Maybe Rouge in a Hooters outfit will be DLC For the Xboxone/ps4? Versions?

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Someone at Sonic Team must've watched this video..

https://youtu.be/WyjrO-yULxc

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I have to assume that Hooters' image in Japan must be somewhat different from here. Maybe they just see it as a cool American thing.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

G.Silver wrote:I have to assume that Hooters' image in Japan must be somewhat different from here. Maybe they just see it as a cool American thing.
I suppose that's true, but to American consumers, this news is weirdly fascinating at best and a deal breaker (especially to parents, I imagine) at worst. Surely somebody at Sega of America must have realized that?

But anyways, in the rich tradition of Dumpy Costumed Sonic Awkwardly Hanging Out in Group Shots, this ranks right up there with that one Michael Jackson pic. Just look at Iizuka here. Even he knows that things are terribly, hilariously wrong.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

What I want to know is how they're going to promote the game. Demo kiosks? Sonic-themed chicken/beer combos? Your original character on a napkin? I can't claim to have ever actually been to a Hooters (it's a notable gap in my life experience) but somehow I don't think the brands mix together too well.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

But anyways, in the rich tradition of Dumpy Costumed Sonic Awkwardly Hanging Out in Group Shots, this ranks right up there with that one Michael Jackson pic. Just look at Iizuka here. Even he knows that things are terribly, hilariously wrong.
Nah, I think Iizuka was just dazzled by the lights on stage (everyone is looking down!) and didn't get himself composed like he does for other photo ops.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I think in the past Sega Japan has done Sonic cigarette lighters and promo pics with Sonic and bikini girls, so Hooters isn't too much of a stretch.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

G.Silver wrote:
This is the face of a broken man. He wants out, but for whatever reason, (contracts maybe) he is stuck working at Sega. In a constant state of purgatory, endlessly trying to reinvent a dead franchise. With every step forward (Colors, Generations) there's two steps back. (Lost World, Rise of Lyric) again and again he has to defibrillate this blue Hedgehog and pull him back from the brink of death, only to repeat the same mistakes.

His eyes say it all: 'Help Me..'

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Jingles wrote:What I want to know is how they're going to promote the game. Demo kiosks? Sonic-themed chicken/beer combos? Your original character on a napkin?
At the start of the promotion, each of the waitstaff at all Hooters locations in Japan must choose to wear a paper maché mask of either Amy, Rouge, Blaze or Sonic. These masks must initially be constructed by the waitstaff themselves in the seedy back-alley located behind every Hooters. Once made, these masks must always be worn while on company time for the duration of the promotion.

Although the waitstaff may attempt to repair their masks, they are NEVER allowed to dispose the original mask and construct a new one. This ensures that as the weeks go by, each mask becomes more and more grotesque. At the conclusion of the promotion, all available waitstaff at each Hooters location will stand in a circle in the parking lot. A fire will be set in the middle of this circle using gasoline and a spare oil drum, and all the masks constructed for the promotion will be tossed into said fire.

As the inferno glimmers in the eyes of each member of waitstaff, they may ponder stray thoughts. Perhaps they will reflect on the choices leading to their current employment at Hooters. Maybe they will contemplate on their own identities or mortality. Others will think and feel of nothing at all. Somewhere in the distance, a rabid dog will furiously bark.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

So it seems that the promotion consists of chili dogs, blue drinks, and many sonic plushes hung with a seeming carelessness that befits this whole idea. As one commentor already pointed out, they even flubbed having onion rings as part of this. So with no clear reasoning, no subtle nod to the goofiness of this collaboration, and not even something so absurd or bad as to make it entertaining, this whole thing seems to fit right in to the Sonic cycle of potentially good or at least potentially funny, but in the end just being underwhelming.

Though maybe the chili dog and drink are really really good, and that will redeem it.

Sonic and Hooters team up looks grim-kotaku

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Footage of the dance has emerged:

https://twitter.com/hairofthewolf/statu ... 5951194112

I love Tails's expression. Someone has to have done that on purpose.