Sonic VR

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic VR

Post by big_smile »

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/04/so ... ept-found/

Sega has been experimenting with Sonic in VR, contracting the project out to Big Sky VR.

It look hideous, but I guess it's supposed to be an experiment.

In the concept, the player doesn't actually play as Sonic, with the blue bur acting as a navi guide.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Sonic VR

Post by G.Silver »

The video is gone already! Anybody grab it before it went down?

One of those guys in the comments section has the right idea:
I really want an answer to that age-old question: what does Sonic see when he spin-jumps? Like is it a spinning nightmare of dizziness or does he just spin so fast that if he focused on any one area it appeared to him as if he wasn’t spinning at all? These are seriously the questions that keep me up at night.
Maybe the optical processing center of his brain is like a fly, but instead of compound eyes that point in all directions at once, he spins fast enough to produce a fully panoramic view that his brain interprets as normal. In this fashion, the third person perspective views offered by the video games actually give us the most realistic approximation of Sonic's perception that our brains are capable of understanding.

...Maybe this belongs in the "nerds" thread.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

A lot of the early (and some of the more recent, too, I think) manga show that Sonic can somehow keep his face stationary relative to his body when he spins. Wonder why that never made it into the games.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

G.Silver wrote:Maybe the optical processing center of his brain is like a fly, but instead of compound eyes that point in all directions at once, he spins fast enough to produce a fully panoramic view that his brain interprets as normal. In this fashion, the third person perspective views offered by the video games actually give us the most realistic approximation of Sonic's perception that our brains are capable of understanding.

...Maybe this belongs in the "nerds" thread.
The human mind is actually able to adapt the way that it processes visual data surprisingly quickly. If you wear goggles that flip your vision, you'll get to the point where it seems normal within a few weeks[*][*]. Sonic probably spun so much as a child that his brain developed a spin-mode that auto-corrects his vision, but whether or not that involves seeing the full panorama as in the fly example or focusing on one area at a time is harder to say. Given some of the homing attacks he has to pull to survive in the adventure games, I think the former has more support.