Ohshima on social media

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Ohshima on social media

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Hey, here's something I can't believe I just now noticed (and am surely the only one to find it interesting): most of those Screen Saver art sketches have the post-S3 gloves but feature the pre-S3 gloves in the final art. Now I know I've seen the Harmony scan that showed what month and year most of these were made for, but I can't find it anywhere. I'm fairly sure some of these were made just before or during S2/SCD/SSA's development, but the design change wasn't implemented until SCD animations possibly as an oversight then finally made official during S3's development.

I'd long assumed the glove redesign was by Takashi Yuda at some point after Sonic CD, and that the animations were the last thing made for that SCD.

Why did Sonic Team seemingly beat around the bush for this for so long?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Now I know I've seen the Harmony scan that showed what month and year most of these were made for, but I can't find it anywhere.
Found it. the earliest sketch revealed was created for the January '94 issue, when S3 development was surely wrapping up. What's more, the Harmony art continued using the original gloves well after S3 was published. So I guess this makes the Sonic CD animations the first appearance of the redesign, especially if the scrapped antlion enemy indicates that it was one of the first pieces of the game made.

Might this indicate that Toei/Studio Junio -- possibly Eguchi? -- was responsible and it was eventually made canon, much like the blue eyelids were following Sonic X?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:What's more, the Harmony art continued using the original gloves well after S3 was published.
As did most of the Game Gear games too, come to think of it, up until G Sonic. Oddly, the Greg Martin Sonic Labyrinth depicts the post-3 gloves but the Japanese version doesn't.

...I'm a hit at parties, I swear!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://schedule.gdconf.com/session/clas ... hog/856574

Hirokazu Yasuhara and Naoto Ohshima are doing a postmortem on the original Sonic. Hopefully it will surface online.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... sis-eggman

So, not much we didn't already know. The ad hoc New York survey is new to me, at least.

Now I'm compelled to research airplane nose art. I mean, apart from the obvious:

Source

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://youtu.be/DYO1ZmRuZ_U

So there are a few things here not mentioned in the Eurogamer write up. Such as awareness that Sega did not put effort into cultivating IPs, for better or worse.

The drive for simplicity in character design stemmed from Yasuhara, who also wrote the Mary Garnet tale.