Eguchi Stalker

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Eguchi Stalker

Post by G.Silver »

So I've been following Hisashi Eguchi on Twitter. No, not Hisashi Eguchi (江口寿史), famous manga artist, but Hisashi Eguchi (江口寿志), the prolific animator credited as "Chief Key Animator" in Sonic CD's opening and ending. At the time I found him (I had been mistakenly following the other Eguchi for quite a while) I thought it might be cool to ask him about Sonic CD, but he's done so much work related to other stuff, and doesn't seem very active on Twitter, and I didn't want him to get fan-shy, so I never did. But, finally, he posted some Sonic drawings anyway! Check it:

Here's hoping he drops more. :samba:

Jingles

Re: Eguchi Stalker

Post by Jingles »

More than anything, these pictures make me crave a new Sonic anime. I want to see how it would be done in today's environment, now that SEGA's toes have been dipped into the pool of Japanese animation for years. (SEGA Hard Girls was awesome) Honestly, I've always felt that Sonic's design let itself way better to the bubbly, floaty stylings of the East (Sonic X isn't an incredible example) way more than it did to anything in the English-speaking world.

A manga would be nice, too, but I'd really want that raw movement to showcase Sonic's speed. It's not like SEGA doesn't already own an animation studio, so what's the hold up? Kids would go nuts for it.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So what do I have do to incentivize a translation of these text? I'll debase myself to any extent necessary.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Unfortunately it's all hand written so you know, not good chances (and a lot of it is cropped out). The one arrow pointing at Sonic while running says that these are his quills, but to "think of it as his hair." The rest of what I can make sense of is all about what color things are and I'll bet there isn't much more to any of it than that. Edit: No wait, some of it is about proportions and little detail notes ("this is his tail," "shoes don't have any treads," etc). It's not really interesting, just reducing ambiguity for other artists working on the project.

Also we have another drawing:

Sonic sure smokes a lot.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Oh... Thanks all the same.
G.Silver wrote:Sonic sure smokes a lot.
Maybe that's why he can't hold his breath very long.

Neo

Post by Neo »

STRIPES UNDER HIS SHOES.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Weirdly, the tweet with Sonic smoking was removed, but the image is still up (since that link I posted works). Somebody left a comment (not sure if it was a joke) saying Sonic should not be smoking, I wonder if that had anything to do with it.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Oh, BTW, "text" is anything that be read, be it handwritten or typed with a machine.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_(literary_theory)
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/text#Noun

(Why yes that barb has been on my mind, thank you)

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So he put up some more, this time the Metallic Madness (or is it Wacky Workbench with those levitating buckets? That always confused me) scene.

So, has anyone watched any of those non-Sonic projects he's credited for? Any of 'em good?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Interesting to see classic Amy not making doe eyes. It really does come across as Sonic in drag.

Also hella tempted to make gobsmacked!Sonic my new avatar...

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Something about that Eggman art just occured to me, which even shows up in the "bad ending" cinematic. His moustache resembles what it will eventually become Adventure-onward.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

The relative crudeness here really does suggest that the animated segments were one of the first things started in Sonic CD's development. The peg-like fingers and graven smirk are particularly notable.