Kazuyuki Hoshino Q&A

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Kazuyuki Hoshino Q&A

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://youtu.be/dYVlM7HwaLI#t=35m

Maaaaybe not thread-worthy in its own right, considering the softball questions and such, but Hoshino is apparently taking credit for designing Shadow and Amy. Now, I don't recall him ever receiving credit for the former, and fair enough, sure, but the latter raises an eyebrow. There's irrefutable evidence that Amy was more or less fully formed in those early manga, no? Moreover, someone asked if he created Charmy, to which he responds with a mental 404, suggesting he doesn't even remember the manga at all. Memories are clearly fading for the old guard, and facts are getting muddy.

He doesn't really clear up anything else besides that he had nothing to do with Metal Sonic Kai (I think he credits someone, but he's so soft spoken I couldn't be certain). He _did_ claim credit for Neo Metal Sonic.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: Kazuyuki Hoshino Q&A

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

If I remember correctly, doesn't Iizuka consider the modern designs for the Chaotix characters to be solely his creation, due to the wide departure they took from their original appearances? I wonder something like that applies to Hoshino in regards to Amy. Maybe if he didn't create manga Amy, he created her design used in Sonic Adventure onwards.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I haven't watched the interview yet (but I plan to as it sounds interesting).

However, Hoshino confirmed at a previous convention that all the manga characters were created by Sega especially for the manga. (I guess it's similar as to how Sonic Team did design work for Sonic X). So based on this new interview, I assume Hoshino must have done the manga character.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Oh! Is there any recordings/transcripts of this convention? Not that I don't believe you, but, y'know, a solid citation for posterity would be ideal.
big_smile wrote:it sounds interesting
It really isn't. Pretty much anything of note was put into the OP. Also, there was an Ohshima interview on the channel about a year ago. I haven't tracked it down, but I'm not holding out for anything revelatory.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Well, I guess they didn't archive the Ohshima interview as far as I can tell, but I did stumble upon this video of Hoshino going over art I've never seen before. And here I thought the official Sonic channel was for nothing but embarrassing memes!

It's mildy interesting that Amy had that hairstyle as far back as SCD, considering she had a DiC-style mohawk in the later released Sonic Drift 1.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Oh! Is there any recordings/transcripts of this convention? Not that I don't believe you, but, y'know, a solid citation for posterity would be ideal.
No worries, I like to check things myself too!

I think it was either the Sonic Boom 2013 event or Summer of Sonic 2013. I think it's probably Summer of Sonic, because I mentioned the Boom event here, but I didn't reference the comic.

If you find it, post the time code (if possible), as I would like to hear it again (to check my dodgy memory!)

Edit: I actually think it might be the Boom one because I remember Iizuka chipping in on the answer. I'm not sure if I'll get time to relisten but if I do, it will post the time code.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So this popped up in my recommendations bar. So apparently Yuji Naka canonized that "Ivo Robotnik" is the doc's actual name and "Eggman" being his nom de guerre. This being Did You Know Gaming, they didn't cite the source they swiped it from. That's what I get for taking the clickbait!

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Ah thankee! So this is where that bizarre "eight hours' sleep" fact originated!

Now if we can only leave the "Mighty isn't a recycled Sonic prototype" tidbit someplace convenient where these bottom feeders can find it...