New Sonic Art Book

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Re: New Sonic Art Book

Post by big_smile »

Great work, chriscaffee. Hmm... In the GG version Tails is kidnapped. I wonder if at some point in the Mega Drive version they were thinking of making Tails a hostage who would be used to power Mecha Sonic.

Incidentally, in Sonic R, it is said that Eggman used the body of a fox to create Tails Doll.
Guys, I think we just figured out who Infinite is.
Given Sonic Team's love of reusing scrapped ideas, I wouldn't put it past them.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

big_smile wrote:I wonder if at some point in the Mega Drive version they were thinking of making Tails a hostage who would be used to power Mecha Sonic.
Sounds like it. As a kid I thought it was weird that Mecha Sonic didn't have an animal inside him like every other robot in the game does. It's a shame they didn't go with this idea, it would've been a surprising twist.
big_smile wrote:Incidentally, in Sonic R, it is said that Eggman used the body of a fox to create Tails Doll.
Where is this from? Is it an accurate translation?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Where is this from? Is it an accurate translation?
Thripa on Sonic Stadium posted a translation of the Japanese Sonic R website a few years back (probably a decade back actually!). It actually says stuffed animal:

As a last resort, Eggman manufactured this to catch Sonic unprepared. This, except for the power plant embedded in its head, is a mere stuffed animal, whose meager form nevertheless exhibits considerable ability in races due to its lightweight design. Still, it is also able to float in the air for a long time.

Going back to Mecha Sonic, Sonic Lego Dimensions has some interesting bits about him. This was one of the highlights of the game for me, so I am putting it in spoilers, as I know not everyone has had a chance to play it yet:

He's now been renamed Robo Sonic, with Mecha Sonic being the name of the blue one from Sonic 3 & K.
The two Mechas are separate robots, who along with Metal Sonic, take it in turns to battle Sonic (Metal Sonic attacks last). Eggman explicitly states that Robo was his first robotic Sonic creation.

It certainly creates some time line issues. Oshima said in an interview that he viewed Sonic CD as a sequel to Sonic 1. But if Robo was built first, then Sonic CD must come after Sonic 2. Then again, there was a UK Sonic sticker book which claimed to get all its info directly from Sega. It stated that Metal Sonic was built before Sonic 2. So it could be possible that Eggman built Robo as a prototype, but launched Metal Sonic first.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Honestly I wouldn't take anything in Sonic Dimensions as "canon." The "Sonic World" is Angel Island...with Sonic 1 and 2 zones. "Robo Sonic" has been a thing since the 90s at least. This strategy guide (http://i.imgur.com/Lv6jJBo.jpg) calls him "Robo Sonic" as well.