Controllers

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Emperor Omochao

Controllers

Post by Emperor Omochao »

Hello all,

All the recent Sonic Mania news got me excited enough to instantly download Sonic 1, 2 and CD on my iPad just to see how good the Christian Whitehead ports are. One problem: I cannot stand the touch screen approach and so I'm looking for a controller for the iPad.

The big issue is, I don't want to buy one and then find out it's incompatible with these Sonic games and I'm having a hard time searching for the right one. Help? :/

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Controllers

Post by G.Silver »

Apparently (I haven't tried this) the Sonic games are all compatible with "MFI" ("Made for iPhone") certified gamepads, so that's what you should be looking for. Looking on Amazon it's difficult to find ones any less than the $50-60 range, though. The cheap "old school" console knockoff ones don't appear to be included, as far as I can tell.

Emperor Omochao

Thanks for the info. If its MFI would that mean it could still work for the ipad.

I saw a youtube vido that used a ps3 controller to play sonic 2 on the ipad but i dont know what to make of jailbreaking the device, seems a little dodgy...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

MFI should work with either device. Yeah I didn't suggest jailbreaking, less for the dodginess and more for the possibility that it might not work with the game. But I imagine they might have a lot of unofficial support for other controllers, too. According to this review the 8bitdo controllers (or at least this one) works with Sonic and Sonic CD (and I assume Sonic 2 as well).

Emperor Omochao

Excellent, thanks, i will enjoy these ports finally! Now just waiting for the S3&K port which didnt make the cut for mysterious reasons. :)

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Even though virtual joypad touch controls are never the best option, I thought Sonic 1, 2 and CD had some of the best touch controls I've seen in mobile gaming.