Sonic 2017

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Re: Sonic 2017

Post by Neo »

Malchik wrote:Let's throw twenty-five years of stuff at the wall and see what sticks.
Chaos, probably

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

WOW. Ok. Let's go over the bullet points on the back of the box so far.
  • From the directors of Sonic 06 and Lost World
  • 'Darker' tone (as written by Pontac and Graff)
  • OCs with guns
  • Time travel
  • Shadow is a bad guy again
  • Sonic Heroes levels of will not shut up
  • SILVER.
  • Reality-altering villain #80 (Medusa the Fox? Batman?)
  • CHAOS?! SERIOUSLY, IIZUKA?!
  • Ruined versions of classic levels
  • Totally not Generations 2
  • look at all those Death Egg robots
This game. Is going to be. STUPENDOUS.

(The emblem at the end of the trailer is a mobius loop. Are we going back to Mobius again?)

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

But where was Mephiles? His title was literally "The Dark"!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Jingles wrote:New trailer. Looks like there's more than one resistance. You won't believe who's back...
Curses, I thought we were getting Mighty or Nack or something.

Given the writers of this game, Shadow's reason for joining the bad guys is probably going to be "the strong deserve to rule over the weak!" or something equally abrupt, flimsy, and against his character.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote: Given the writers of this game, Shadow's reason for joining the bad guys is probably going to be "the strong deserve to rule over the weak!" or something equally abrupt, flimsy, and against his character.
Remember back when Shadow had a character arch? Remember when fucking Chaos had an arch and has no reason to be bad anymore? Jesus Christ.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

My immediate thought was that they're either being hypnotized by Infinite or Shadow is a double agent who'll betray Eggman at the end and Chaos is...angry or something.

Wombatwarlord777

Jingles wrote:But where was Mephiles? His title was literally "The Dark"!
Please, Mephiles was weaksauce! Now that we Sonic fans have become more sophisticated and mature, we can finally handle a villain like Infinity the Dark-er!

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Frieza2000 wrote:My immediate thought was that they're either being hypnotized by Infinite or Shadow is a double agent who'll betray Eggman at the end and Chaos is...angry or something.
Yeah hypnosis was my original thought too. (Or what if Infinite promised Shadow he would use his powers to bring back Maria from the dead for him?)

Dumb theory, but that Forces poster gives us a better look at 'Infinite' he looks oddly similar to Rouge. Same color hair(fur?) and ears..

What if.. While Rouge is off searching for jewels, she unearths a 'dark gem' and becomes possessed by this 'Infinite' entity? Then decides to help Eggman take over the world.. Eggman just wants to turn it into Eggmanland, but "Infinite' wants fire brimstone and death, resulting in the 'Park Avenue' scene..

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DCQ-BhVXsAAb8JH?format=jpg

Here's the poster I was referring to. My theory may be utter bs but he sure has similarities to Rouge..

Wombatwarlord777

I guess. The... mask? ...on Infinite might be another hint that it's Rouge, and might actually give Shadow a good reason to side with Eggman if he thinks it'll help restore her or something.

Thing is, it'd be really odd for her to be kicked back into relevancy after being basically a walking cameo after '06. Weirder things have happened, but still...

What snappy name will Eggman's cronies be collectively dubbed in this game? The Furry-ious Five? Eggman's Half-Dozen Minus One?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic ... cters.aspx
^ New interview

One of the problems we had with Sonic Adventure was if you're completely in control, nobody can run the loop-de-loop... they just fly right out! So how can we make it so that you do this really cool thing? The only way we found was to limit the player's action to make sure they get all the way through the loop, otherwise no one is going to make it through.
Has no one at Sonic Team played Sonic R, where you have control in the loop-de-loop without falling out (although you can fall backwards).

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Sonic R's loops require a specific camera angle, are wide enough to give you a lot of room to move around in, and of course, there's those tank-like controls. I love Sonic R but I don't think any of those were acceptable solutions for what they wanted to accomplish in Sonic Adventure.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

The mask has bat ears, but it has no bat wings and it appears to have a bush/spiky tail. That could be a really long head tendril though. The torso curves could be female, but the boobs are too small for Rouge.
infinite.jpg
infinite.jpg (119.94 KiB) Viewed 14091 times

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What could the base animal be, if anything? I was thinking maybe spiny mouse what with those spines, but they don't really have bushy/tufted tails. Bettong? Jerboa? Gerbil? Chinchilla? Kangaroo rat?

Maybe it's an extinct mammal? That'd actually be kinda neat.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

If that thing is actually wearing a mask, it's either got extremely long sclera or none at all, which surely must be a first for a main-line Sonic game. I doubt it will come off.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I wonder if Infinite is the player's avatar and all the extra head bits are part of the mask for misdirection.

Like G.Silver said having the avatar as the villain would be an amazing twist.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

big_smile wrote:http://www.gameinformer.com/games/sonic ... cters.aspx
^ New interview

One of the problems we had with Sonic Adventure was if you're completely in control, nobody can run the loop-de-loop... they just fly right out! So how can we make it so that you do this really cool thing? The only way we found was to limit the player's action to make sure they get all the way through the loop, otherwise no one is going to make it through.
Has no one at Sonic Team played Sonic R, where you have control in the loop-de-loop without falling out (although you can fall backwards).
Also Lego Dimensions; I ran through loops for two hours as super sonic and didn't fall out. Maybe sonic team should call traveller's tales and beg them for help.
Shadow as a villian
FUCK

*edit*

Watched the villian trailer and.... QUADRUPLE FUCK

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

I want this to do as badly as the other recent 3D titles so that they can reimagine 3D Sonic from the ground up. Even playing Generations, for me the size scale of the classic levels feel off and so does the momentum. For the modern levels it just feels... hard to enjoy.

As for the villains its basically a case of throw everything but the kitchen sink into the game. Having Metal Sonic and Chaos have a role in the same game essentially dilutes the impact of both of them. And do I really need to hear Vector's voice when I'm playing a level?

I'm really hoping this is the end of the line for modern Sonic. The truth is, the last 3D Sonic game I actually kinda enjoyed was Sonic Heroes before they turned Sonic into a race car.

Wombatwarlord777

I've really enjoyed Sonics Unleashed through Generations, but yeah, simply going as fast as possible is starting to get pretty stale.

Honestly, Sonic Team needs to buckle down and finally create a momentum-based 3D game. It'll be hard, but it'll give Sonic a clear distinction that no other platformer (that I know of) possesses. Plus, multiple fans have created damned good working models of that concept. Hell, just delegate that aspect of the franchise to the fans too, I guess.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Sonic a clear distinction that no other platformer (that I know of) possesses.
Gotta get that ginseng, dude.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://youtu.be/XI97jY3FZ9Q

Never thought I'd miss Crush 40. What a world in which we live.

Wombatwarlord777

I was going to say that I missed the subtley of "Live and Learn", but I thought that might sound too pedantic, even on this board.

I'm glad somebody shares my general sentiments.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I thought it was a fan video before I saw the official channel icon. That has to be an early version of the song. He sings off key so many times! They can't think this is OK for the full release.

Wombatwarlord777

The lyrics are fucking atrocious as well. They could not be more blunt.

I wonder if this could be attributed to me being a bitter old bastard already highly skeptical about this game and with rose-tinted glasses (how good are the likes of "It Doesn't Matter" or "What I'm Made Of", anyways?), but one thing that doesn't change about this theme song is that the underlying music is genuinely good. It's perhaps a little unconventional, but it captures the sense of urgency and faint hopefulness that the game is trying to convey very well, imo.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Seeing all those apologetic comments on that video... We get the Sonic games we deserve, people.