OH YES Sonic Mania (Spoiler free thread)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

OH YES Sonic Mania (Spoiler free thread)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I see Christian Whitehead's name on it! I see Christian Whitehead's name on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmtYdEWVzo

Love the new sprites. This has a 32X/Sega CD thing that I love!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: OH YES Sonic Mania

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It's like mega man 9 all over again

....For better or worse

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

This shit looks fucking amazing, and they had the balls to include a new move that actually looks pretty slick. Count me in.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Neat.. an all new "Mega Drive" style Sonic game. And the fact that Taxman and Stealth are behind it means that it won't be a mess like Sonic 4. Can't wait!

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

This looks amazing. I think this is the first time in a long while I've seen a trailer for a Sonic game and felt optimistic. It looks the the game that Sonic 4 should have been.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Neo Hazard posted these on Sonic Retro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8d4Dep ... e=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkLRHs ... e=youtu.be

I was initially a bit unsure about the classic levels, but it looks like they work well. It's the classic levels we all know and love but they have all new paths allowing for plenty of Sonic 3 style exploration.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I appreciated the call out to Sonic Popcorn Shop.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

...why are there both Sonic 1/2-style shields <i>and</I> Sonic 3-style shields?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Different functions. One gives you an extra hit, the others act as proper upgrades.

I liked how the rings popped out toward the screen when getting hit. Lots of subtle touches that made it feel like Sonic on a 32X-grade system.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Wow, this is an unexpected surprise! Glad they're finally taking advantage of the obvious talent that's been practically begging to lend itself to them. The visuals and the overall spirit are where they should be (though I wish the graphics were a little more HD). Whether or not the level design hits that balance of speed, platforming, and exploration is the real question. From those two videos I think it's looking good. Doesn't feel like we're in fan-game territory, at least.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Frieza2000 wrote:though I wish the graphics were a little more HD
I know what you mean. From the beggining of the trailer, based on the cartoony font they used and the crisp Sega logo, I was thinking they were going with a full HD beautifully hand-drawn 2D Sonic game.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I actually think it looks real nice not being super hd looking and the sprites look pretty good. Whenever it gets too hd it gets pretty tough on my eyes for me at least. Odin Sphere on ps4 is like this for me. I always end up tearing up from the eye strain even though its such beautiful game.

I hope they give you the option of changing the sprites though. I've always preferred the sonic 3 sprite for sonic but it'd be a nice extra or secret to be able to switch to the sonic advance sprite.

Overall this game looks so sick and I'm absolutely excited.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Yeah, what else is there really to say? Looking at the video for Studiopolis, it looks like there's going to be a wide range of well-thought out gimmicks, which sort of felt like afterthoughts in most of the Dimps games. Hell, even Green Hill Zone now takes full advantage of its twisting tunnels.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I dunno, maybe it was a bit harsh to compare it to mm9. That's not say it doesn't look very, very nice; just that sonic premiered as a series that put heavy emphasis on graphics. Maybe if this does well enough, the sequel will be up there with the likes of Cuphead, if not wario land shake.

Also no insta-shield, and automated springs :confused:

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Do we know what Japanese fans think of the game? I wonder if this series still holds any weight over there.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Kind of a bummer that it seems the NX is stuck with just Generations 2(?) and might not get this game. Historically appropriate, but still a bummer.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Majestic Joey wrote:I actually think it looks real nice not being super hd looking and the sprites look pretty good. Whenever it gets too hd it gets pretty tough on my eyes for me at least. Odin Sphere on ps4 is like this for me. I always end up tearing up from the eye strain even though its such beautiful game.

I hope they give you the option of changing the sprites though. I've always preferred the sonic 3 sprite for sonic but it'd be a nice extra or secret to be able to switch to the sonic advance sprite.

Overall this game looks so sick and I'm absolutely excited.
It looks amazing. I'm not complaining. I love the new sprites with more color and better framerate.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So, since no-one, not even Retro, have pointed it out, Sonic's looking-up sprite is taken from Sonic Material Collection. Which I guess accounts for why he's wearing his S1&2 gloves.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Brazillian Cara wrote:Kind of a bummer that it seems the NX is stuck with just Generations 2(?) and might not get this game. Historically appropriate, but still a bummer.
The guy who did the Mutant Mudds games made a public offer to port the game for 3DS, so *maybe* there's a chance for it so show up there...

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Finally. Sonic 4 how I envisioned it.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Of course, the real test is if this will be awesome enough to attract GG! back. Could we finally be getting a front page update in spring 2017?
The guy who did the Mutant Mudds games made a public offer to port the game for 3DS, so *maybe* there's a chance for it so show up there...
Taxman has posted photos of the Retro Engine running on 3DS, so I'm guessing there is some other reason why it's not coming on that platform.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Malchik wrote:Finally. Sonic 4 how I envisioned it.
Like Sonic 1?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rDCmCd8BVo&t=5m30s

So, anyways, confirmation on why the insta-shield was replaced for the drop dash: to facilitate newer players. That's cool on the surface level, i guess, and maybe this will have a little more depth than ill-thought-out homing attack. BUT, I don't see why the insta-shield had to be replaced at all! Couldn't it be a once-per-jump animation at the start of a drop dash? Would it be too distracting for those that don't want depth at all?

And what about the temp-spin Sonic could go into post-spring-jump in Triple Trouble? Why did that not reappear anywhere since? It was pretty nifty!

Emperor Omochao

Post by Emperor Omochao »

Apparently Christian Whitehead indicated that the levels link together in much the same way that S3&K levels did. This was always something I found appealing about the game, the levels in some ways helped progress the story line. There was something special about seeing the Death Egg launch and crash in Launch Base zone and seeing the storyline arc from Lava Reef Zone 2's boss up to Death Egg zone; for me it was part of the magic.

I'm really hoping Sonic Mania has a strong story line (Christian also mentioned that there is a reason Sonic has to revisit the old zones). Additionally a really good anime sequence like they had for Sonic CD would seal the deal.

What do folk want for the special stages? To be honest I can't say any of them have been amazing...Sonic CD's could probably do with being revisited although I have to say the special stages in Sonic Lost World (3DS) was for me the most enjoyable.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

@Emperor Omochao I agree with everything you have said, apart from the Lost World Special Stages being enjoyable.

I found them to be unplayable and rate them as one of the worst ideas in the entire franchise. Sonic would never go where I directed him. I hate these "Sonic by proxy" type games. In a Sonic game it's important for the player to have direct control over Sonic.