OH YES Sonic Mania (Spoiler free thread)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Re: OH YES Sonic Mania

Post by big_smile »

Majestic Joey wrote:So looks like there are reviews out. Most sites I saw say the game is great but since it is short (3 hours long like sonic 3 and knuckles) it becomes a 8 out of 10. .
I've not read any reviews (to avoid spoilers), but is the 3 hours just for a quick play through? I was hoping that (like S3&K) all the extra routes and characters would make it a 10+ hour game.

Although to be honest, I've always been a slow (bad) gamer, so 3 hours for everyone else will probably be 6 months for me!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Oh god damn it the PC version isn't out until August 29th and even then my main computer is a MacBook Air.

I'm going to have to wait ages to play this damn thing aren't I?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Locit wrote:even then my main computer is a MacBook Air.
I'm a little ticked about this too. Mac users didn't even get the CD remake!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Christ, had the whole boss roster spoiled by a YouTube thumbnail. Fuck you, Prosofiagaming, you shitheel.

So yeah, dunno how you'd avoid something like that, but heads-up all the same.

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: OH YES Sonic Mania (Spoiler free thread)

Post by big_smile »

Apparently there's plugins for Chrome that filter out spoilers, but I've never been able to get any of them to work (although I know of some people who speak highly of them).

For a while, Sega has been talking about how they are a 'new' company, but the botched launch of Mania (which seems to be the main title that that is spearheading their new image) suggests otherwise. They shouldn't have announced a release date until just before it was ready to ship. And if the PC version wasn't complete, they should have delayed all platforms (especially as there seems to be a lot of bugs in the console versions, with the Switch version being particularly buggy).

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It was on my android via the dedicated app. So I dunno how a Chrome filter would've helped.

I know Sega is trying to be laissez-faire towards fan content, but they ought to crack down on this sort of shit.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I've been thumbnail spoiled many times before. These days I think you pretty much have to play/watch on day one, stay off of youtube for a week beforehand, and never google anything related to it to be completely safe.

To address an earlier fear, they did NOT screw up the emerald colors. I knew there was no way they'd make a mistake like that.

Also, I have a free download code for a Switch copy of the game if anyone's interested. It's a UK code though, so it may not work in other regions.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Switch is region-free, I think all you need to do is make an account for the EU eShop.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Finally managed to order a Switch, so I should be all caught up with you guys in... a couple weeks once it arrives in Hong Kong.

God damn it.

Looks like you can play games from other regions pretty easily, so I'd be happy to take that code off your hands if you still have it, Frieza.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I can't guarantee that the code will still work by the time your Switch arrives. Weird situation. Can you redeem codes on Nintendo's website? I'll send it to you anyway, but if somebody else here wants to claim it and can actually use it within the next 12 hours then speak now.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I am not sure about codes, but I know that you have to link the Switch to your Nintendo Account before you can order via the web.
My cousin's supposed to be getting a Switch by the end of the month. I wanted to order Mania for him, but couldn't because there is no Switch linked to the account.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Locit wrote:Finally managed to order a Switch, so I should be all caught up with you guys in... a couple weeks once it arrives in Hong Kong.

God damn it.
Couldn't you just drive to the factory and pay one of the underpaid employees to throw one in the garbage for you to pick up at night.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

Malchik wrote:Couldn't you just drive to the factory and pay one of the underpaid employees to throw one in the garbage for you to pick up at night.
That would be across the border, in mainland China. And also, impossible.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Christ, had the whole boss roster spoiled by a YouTube thumbnail. Fuck you, Prosofiagaming, you shitheel.

So yeah, dunno how you'd avoid something like that, but heads-up all the same.
Same here, but I managed to look away. Still, had one major boss spoiler.

I've been playing since launch day. I keep dying from Time Over because I just love exploring every nook and cranny of this awesome levels, so I think the "3 hours playthrough" isn't a big deal because it completely depends on how you play it.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

big_smile wrote:For a while, Sega has been talking about how they are a 'new' company, but the botched launch of Mania (which seems to be the main title that that is spearheading their new image) suggests otherwise. They shouldn't have announced a release date until just before it was ready to ship. And if the PC version wasn't complete, they should have delayed all platforms (especially as there seems to be a lot of bugs in the console versions, with the Switch version being particularly buggy).
I don't know... I don't think it was "botched. The PC delay announced just one week before the launch sure is a dick move (I sure suffered from it, though I'm happy to buy a second copy for the PS4 and help the game, as Malchik said), but it's not that uncommon. Some publishers prefer delaying the PC version because of piracy. If you delay just one little bit, sales for console versions will be a lot better in the first weeks than if you release it on PC at the same time.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Apparently, the PS4 CE codes didn't work at launch.
For all platforms, the CE codes could be redeemed early, which shouldn't have been allowed.
Also, the Switch version was more buggy than the other ones.
They also said the PC version was delayed for technical performance reasons.

In light of all these problems, I'd consider it a botched launch. Although to be fair, as I've been avoiding spoilers, all my info is second hand, so some of the issues might not be as severe as reported.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Locit wrote:
Malchik wrote:Couldn't you just drive to the factory and pay one of the underpaid employees to throw one in the garbage for you to pick up at night.
That would be across the border, in mainland China. And also, impossible.
If North Koreans can do it you have no excuse. Just bring a sack of rice and start bribing.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I've been playing the game for about an hour or so, and it is very good, but what's really striking is that there are a LOT of bugs. Like, to the point where many very cute moments are ruined by an unavoidable death. The achievements also don't seem to be working, at least on PS4.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa »

Jingles wrote:I've been playing the game for about an hour or so, and it is very good, but what's really striking is that there are a LOT of bugs. Like, to the point where many very cute moments are ruined by an unavoidable death. The achievements also don't seem to be working, at least on PS4.
What? Mine works perfectly. I've only had one camera weirdness during a special stage that ended up killing me, but that's all.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

So far, the bugs that I've encountered have been:
-Instant death upon beating a first-act boss (twice)
-Loads of sound effect problems including sounds continuing to play when they shouldn't, or just not playing at all
-Sonic going "out of bounds", passing through one side of a solid object and coming out the other
-Act title cards "popping in" after a few seconds instead of scrolling smoothly
-Achievements displaying at strange times or not at all
Nothing has been game-breaking, and they're all minor niggles, but I'd bet if they delayed the console version along with the PC game they'd have caught them.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

http://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-10-23 ... nic-series

Shun Nakamura interview. He states that Sega were surprised by the response to a 2D Sonic game, and the future of the franchise will be impacted by the success of Mania.