Sonic Mega Drive

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic Mega Drive

Post by big_smile »

To celebrate Sonic's 25th Anniversary, Archie is making a comic based around classic Sonic titled "Sonic Mega Drive":
http://www.tssznews.com/2016/02/24/firs ... a-drive-1/

I've never been a fan of Archie, mainly because we don't get it in the UK, but this looks excellent. I believe it's the first ever comic based around the Japanese Classic Sonic (as even the Japanese mangas were set in an alternative universe).
Sonic spins into a brand new, Classic-styled, SUPER SPECIAL one-shot “Mega Drive”! Join Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy Rose on a brand new adventure—set after the fall of the Death Egg! The nefarious Dr. Eggman is trying to build a new engine of destruction: the MEGADRIVE, and it’s up to Sonic and his whole crew to stop the mad doctor and save the day! Join Sonic and his friends in this special commemorative issue celebrating the 25th Anniversary of the Blue Blur!
r7cR2Y7.jpg
r7cR2Y7.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 20499 times
SonicMegaDrive-1-web-aad11.jpg
SonicMegaDrive-1-web-aad11.jpg (113.96 KiB) Viewed 20499 times

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Sonic Mega Drive

Post by G.Silver »

They got sorta close to this with that Sonic 1 / Genesis Wave or whatever thing before. Which, now that I think of it, was for the 20th anniversary, and.. was that really five years ago? It was the last time I bought a Sonic comic so it seems more recent than that to me..

I think it's very important to point out that he artist working on this (and produced the sketches shown here) is Tyson Hesse, creator of Boxer Hockey and the same guy who gave us Nipples the Echidna, Batface the Rouge, and everyone's favorite, Original the Character (do not steal). It isn't actually art for the comic though, just his "warm up." I'm a lot more excited about this knowing he'll be drawing it. (Of course, I ignored the issues he worked on before, ha ha!)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'm impressed that they modelled the cover - logo and all - after the Japanese box art. Most of the audience won't even get that it's an homage.

It's interesting that Tyson Hesse's Sonic is based more on the Sonic CD animations than the official artwork. It's long been my favourite depiction of Sonic, so I'm not complaining.
They got sorta close to this with that Sonic 1 / Genesis Wave or whatever thing before.
It's nice that they've actually been allowed to use the classic designs this time around. In the "Genesis" story only Eggman had his classic look, whereas Sonic and Tails were somewhere inbetween old and new (something I imagine they had to sneak past Sega).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I just hope they don't try to give the character's back stories or histories. I've never read an Archie Sonic comic, but I get the impression all the characters all have detailed pasts that differ considerably from the games (not that's a bad thing, as it is a separate universe).

I'd love this to become a series with other characters (such as Fang and Bean) showing up.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

They rebooted the comic continuity after the first Sonic/Mega Man crossover, in response to the Ken Penders lawsuit.

As it currently stands, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and co are mostly the same as they are in the games - no family members or complicated backtories. Older game characters that are no longer actively used, like Ray and Bark, have been expanded upon.

The larger world is sort of a hybrid of the games and the old cartoon. Anthropomorphic animals are more commonplace than the games. Sally, Bunnie, Rotor and the others are still around, but they aren't childhood friends of Sonic. Knothole is still around, but it's located within Wood Zone (!) on Westside Island. Uncle Chuck is still around, but he's not actually Sonic's uncle.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Uncle Chuck is still around, but he's not actually Sonic's uncle.
Does Sonic still have a dog?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Not...really. Now he's a Mobian, same as the rest.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Some more sketches. I love the attention to detail, especially the grapes in the Knuckles one.
knuckles.jpg
knuckles.jpg (197.6 KiB) Viewed 20450 times
tails.jpg
tails.jpg (236.91 KiB) Viewed 20450 times
amy.jpg
amy.jpg (109.7 KiB) Viewed 20450 times
eggman.jpg
eggman.jpg (103.29 KiB) Viewed 20450 times

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

This Eggman is the best Eggman.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

These sketches are looking pretty nice.

I'm so used to the current art style of the series, I forget sometimes how cute everything was back then. So much more appeal.

Is that Eggman sketch in the bottom center a reference to that bonus Sonic short in Sonic Jam? Sure looks like it.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Have they ever done a proper adaptation of the E-102 story from Sonic Adventure? It feels like it would be a good feature in Sonic Universe, along with a stand alone TPB release. I'd buy it.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Not really. They DID do a big Sonic Adventure adaptation waaaaaaay back when the Dreamcast was new, but Gamma was never killed off...

...until way later, in the first issue or two of Sonic Universe. Basically, he pulled some sort of mind transfer with Omega, resulting in Gamma dying and Omega turning good (he was still originally loyal to Eggman, although really ornery) and joining the newly-formed Team Dark.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Impressive cover. And none of those retarded DiC characters? For the first time in 20 years, I might actually buy a Sonic comic..

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Mini interview: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/7 ... eID=176821
Ian Flynn: We’re doing a special Classic Sonic story! SEGA is putting a lot of emphasis on the Classic Era’s style, so we’re doing so in kind. And Mega Drive is just the start of what we’ve got planned.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2016/06/fi ... ls-sequel/

It's getting a sequel called "The Next Level" featuring Metal Sonic! Also mention of them potentially doing an adaptation of the mystery 25th Anniversary game.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Is the colorist on this one of Archie's regulars? The textural effects and some of the bolder colors (check out the red panel in the middle of this page) really give me a pleasant "European comic" vibe. Reminds me a little bit of the early Fleetway issues.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The colourist is Matt Herms. He's been working on the Sonic comics for a few years now.

Sonic the Hedgehog #288 begins a four part story also set in the "classic era". Whether it will connect with "Mega Drive" remains to be seen.

http://segabits.com/blog/2016/06/28/arc ... -comeback/

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I wondered! I actually follow Herms on DA and his style there (especially with Sonic) is really consistent, so I was thinking this might be someone else. Am I right in thinking that the coloring is different from the main book? I haven't looked at a new issue in a while.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Not to spoil something so delightful with my inane musings, but I couldn't help but notice Hesse not only gave Mighty his Chaotix shoes -- which makes sense since his original shoes were identical to Sonic's -- but Ray is sporting some new kicks too. I can't help but wonder what Ray's creator would think.

Also, I coincidentally have been trying to get into Segasonic Arcade's music lately. It's really a different beast from other vintage Sonic, and the only song I can readily identify from the Sega Arcade Selection D-RAM Remix is Trap Tower (the whole thing sounds more like Jazz Jackrabbit, really).

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

It's kind of a shame the series is probably getting cancelled.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I always thought the art for this series looked pretty terrible, but hey, Segasonic adaptation!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Ray's had blue shoes in the comics for a while.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Yeah, but that's modern Ray. Don't get me started on how Archie modernized the Skypatrol characters!

Something did occur to me recently, though. All the characters in the scrapped Sonic Band all had Sonic's shoes, too, just like the SegaSonic ones. Ohshima was presumably responsible for the former and the only core Sonic Team member with any credited involvement with the latter. It gives the impression that he never did intended to be characteristic of Sonic only but of the brand as a whole. Ohshima had almost no involvement with Sonic 2 or the creation of Tails (or Amy, for that matter). Kinda makes me wonder if Tails would have his distinctive shoes if he were.