Sonic 2016 Rumours

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Sonic 2016 Rumours

Post by G.Silver »

What really bugs me is that they made appropriate sprites for everyone else! If it were just a matter of laziness they could have used the mini-Sonic from Sonic CD, who is at least the right size for a Mario game.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I have a weird feeling it was a mandate from Sega. Do they ever so much as acknowledge the Game Gear and Master System games?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Considering Sega didn't make those games, it seems not. Maybe they'd have to pay Ancient/Aspect to use the sprites?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Surely they do know of and own the 8-bit titles. Why else would they show up on compilations and digital services? Maybe they lack the confidence that the general audience would understand why they'd choose comparatively obscure games. Also, which ones? Sonic 1 8bit alone has two distinct sprite sheets.

Personally, my issue is Sonic 1 16bit's sprites have color shading, while SMB1 has flat colors. I'd actually prefer they use Pocket Adventure's sprites, green eyes and all, even if they're technically 32bit.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think it's likely a mandate from SEGA's marketing department. They can be pretty restrictive about how Sonic can be depicted by licensees. Similar to how Sonic merch can only used existing artwork of the various Sonics (or new stuff that adheres very closely to one of those models), they probably just have one particular "pixel" Sonic they want people to use, and it's probably that one rather than the "off model" 8bit one.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

It's just weird that they'd be so fussy about it with Nintendo. Seems like I'm often reading something about how Nintendo encourages other developers to push a little further when using Nintendo characters to make them "fit" when doing a cameo appearance, but here's Sega, presumably making requirements that are just going to make their character look bad. Well, nothing new about that I suppose...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Remember how Sonic went from this to this in the Wreck it Ralph promo material?

Not that I really disagree with that particular decision, but it's a reminder that SEGA are big sticklers about sticking to their model sheets. Capcom didn't care if Zangief has the wrong backstory, and NAMCO didn't care if Disney used their own design for the Pacman ghost, but SEGA forced them to change all their promo art because they made it look like Sonic's quills were slightly more flowy and hairlike than normal.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Can't hardly blame 'em considering the abominations their liberal stance towards licensees hath wrought in the nineties.

But jesus, even Disney gets tired of Fred Moore's Mickey

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Do we know that Sega made them change it? Like you said you don't disagree with the decision, but it seems reasonable to me that someone at Disney could have easily decided on their own that maybe "slightly more flowing and hair-like" was actually grotesque and horrible.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Sega does something completely unprecedented: Delaying a Sonic title.

http://blogs.sega.com/2015/09/14/sonic- ... s-to-2016/

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I don't understand. I thought it was just a Christmas cash-in. Why would they delay a spin-off title (which is essentially just a merchandise tie-in), when flagship titles such as Sonic 2006 and Lost World get released half finished.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

So they have something to represent Boom for the 25th Anniversary?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Sega posted this:
#there's something very special about this art #but it's not actually anything hidden inside of it #though we hid details on the next Sonic game on the inside of the pumpkin #but since you can't actually see that #we'll give you a hint as to what makes this sweet piece even cooler than normal #it's not about what you see... #... it's about who created it! #chalk this away in your memory - because someday we're going to come back to it
it's about who created it! - The only way that would be an interesting tease is if someone famous created it like Oshima or some other big name artist that is not connected with Sonic.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Hmmm.... Could it be this someone???

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Ugh, Bugman, why would you even do that? I'm trying to imagine how disappointed I would be if they went so far as to make a new game with spot-on Sonic the Screen Saver-style artwork but the game itself was still hovering around the same quality and style as everything else they've done recently.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

The spiky socks are a nice touch.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

The character roster for the next olympics game has been revealed.

I know no one really cares and I wouldn't normally have bothered posting it but it seems to feature a bigger roster this time round with the barrel well and truly being scraped with iconic Sonic characters playable such as Eggman Nega, Sticks, Wave, Zavok and Zazz!

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It's neat to have evidence that the koopalings' english names have been adopted by japan. However it further obscures who exactly they're caricatures of, with the possible exception of Wendy (presuming there was only one woman involved with Mario 3; I'm not good discerning masculine and feminine japanese names.)

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

So I guess the Deadly Six are franchise mainstays now?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:It's neat to have evidence that the koopalings' english names have been adopted by japan. However it further obscures who exactly they're caricatures of, with the possible exception of Wendy (presuming there was only one woman involved with Mario 3; I'm not good discerning masculine and feminine japanese names.)
"Further evidence"? They started using them in Japan as far back as Super Mario World, dude.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Jingles wrote:So I guess the Deadly Six are franchise mainstays now?
At first I thought they were just going to be used to pad out character lists. But in Sonic Runners, they had their own "season" in story mode which showed them setting up plans for revenge. So I guess they'll probably have a prominent role in a future game.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Rob-Bert wrote:
"Further evidence"? They started using them in Japan as far back as Super Mario World, dude.
I didn't say further. It didn't even occur to me to question what they were called in japan until recently.

In related news Lemmy of Motorhead has passed on. :c

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Gaz wrote:The character roster for the next olympics game has been revealed.

I know no one really cares and I wouldn't normally have bothered posting it but it seems to feature a bigger roster this time round with the barrel well and truly being scraped with iconic Sonic characters playable such as Eggman Nega, Sticks, Wave, Zavok and Zazz!
I kind of like that they haven't forgotten about Eggman Nega, even if it is because, like Dry Bowser, he's an easy re-skin. They should bring back G-merl next time.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Kinda weird that only four out of the seven Koopalings are playable, though.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Crush 40 may be writing some new songs for Sonic's 25th anniversary game.
http://www.tssznews.com/2016/01/02/john ... sary-game/