Great new Sonic game!!!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wooduck51

Great new Sonic game!!!

Post by Wooduck51 »

So I have no Idea why Sega let this one slip out there without proper marketing and fanfare, especially as this is the most polished, good looking and functional sonic game I have played in a long time. The controls respond great, and as such the learning curve is very forgiving. there are a decent amount of unlockables, and they are all in game, no DLC to pay for. The level design is superb, and gameplay is simple yet satisfying, with my only complaint being a design choice of making your jump ineffective at destroying badniks from the top save during certain power ups. If Sonic Boom is letting you down, head out and get....

Let your jaded soul be soothed with applause as you launch your animal friends vehemently into your daring escape air balloon!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Re: Great new Sonic game!!!

Post by Malchik »

I look at this and wonder why Sonic 4 had to be such a failure, at least cosmetically. The art style here is very nice and I bet the development team had little time to create it. Though, the retro-styled graphics clash with the modern character designs, IMO. Sega is really adamant on keeping those redesigns relevant despite the fact the classic cast would have went with this world seamlessly. And at least uncurling makes sense in context to how this game functions mechanically, and is not designed to force the player to spam the homing attack. Of course every Sonic character created had to be included here but at least their inclusion is bonus fanfare that is not shoehorned into the game.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

This game came out like 2 years ago, didn't it?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Jingles wrote:This game came out like 2 years ago, didn't it?
No. Unless last July was, like, totally laaast year to you folks.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Jingles wrote:This game came out like 2 years ago, didn't it?
That was Sonic Jump. This is Sonic Jump Fever, which seems to have higher quality music, faster gameplay, a fever mode thing, and a minigame where you have to rescue animal friends at the end of every stage.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Malchik wrote:I look at this and wonder why Sonic 4 had to be such a failure, at least cosmetically. The art style here is very nice and I bet the development team had little time to create it.....
It is a bit depressing, that a nearly pointless vertical movement simulator would be so...polished. I noticed the other day that the enemies react to when they hit you, for example the crab meats laugh. Despite my tongue in cheek statements about "how great" it is, the initial thought that sparked this hopefully worthy of a bitter chuckle post still holds true: I can find no fault with this game, it is exactly what it says it is, and works properly.
Go forth comrades and fill thy chalices with tears.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I just keep playing Rayman Fiesta Run and asking myself... why can't we get something like THIS? No high pressure microtransaction stuff. Just a one-price game full of tons of levels and pretty art.

Jump isn't as bad with the FTP stuff as some games, but it's all so thin. You play the same three levels every time the engergy meter refills to earn more trinkets to buy more other trinkets. It just feels like a daily grinding simulator. Dash at least simulates the feeling of progress by not having a timer and just letting you run as far as you can.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

Esrever wrote:..Sonic Dash...

Moderately relevant anecdote; This topic might have been about sonic dash, except that I seem to suffer from an inability to play more traditional Sonic games without regular d-pad/control stick support. I have soldiered through/enjoyed reaching 100% completion of Sonic Adventure on through to ShTH and Colors, and finished StH2006, but I am pretty sure I called it a day on Sonic and the secret rings by the second dinosaur level. It was a sad day for me, usually I can eek out some little enjoyment, enough to finish at least, but those controls just defeated me. The same unfortunate occurrence struck with dash, and thus I find myself here.

And anytime I hear good things about these new Rayman games my soul shouts with joy, they certainly look and sound (I haven't been able to actually play any yet, to my vexation)so utterly wonderful, just the sight of it is like walking out into a warm lush spring day after a long bitter winter.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

They're quite good! Rayman Legends and Origins already had plenty of chase levels where you could never really stop running, so the gameplay and "feel" of those stages adapts pretty smoothly into an straight-up autorunner cellphone game. And of course, the Rayman Run games also have the luxury of reusing the beautiful art and music from games with a much higher budget, so they look and sound amazing.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I spent 40 hours on Rayman Legends (more time than any other game in the last year) getting to 100% and competing in daily challenges. I want to buy Fiesta Run, but I also feel like I've spent too much time looking at the same artwork.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Rayman Jungle Run and Sonic 2 avaliable for free today if you have an Android device or a Kindle Fire, for those curious to give it a go. Also, Cut the Rope, which I think is an excellent little puzzle game.

Ought to dust off that touch screen game topic and add some of my picks. Also, I didn't really like Sonic Jump Fever. It's too pushy about the daily limits and micro-transactions. I kind of enjoyed the first Sonic Jump adaption, but this sequel(?) is focusing a lot on the things I didn't like about it.