Classic Sonic Style Guide

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Classic Sonic Style Guide

Post by big_smile »

Sega have produced a Classic Sonic Style guide for licensing purposes and the Sonic Stadium has a copy:
http://www.sonicstadium.org/2014/11/a-n ... yle-guide/

There's some art pieces I've never seen before. The animal friends are there as well (with misspelled names), although as usual the Sonic 2 ones didn't make the cut.
Some of Sonic's more obscure friends are missing, but this is still an excellent collection of Sonic art.

There's a modern Sonic book as well which is supposed to be more extensive.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Classic Sonic Style Guide

Post by Radrappy »

When was this book made? I will now start irrationally building hope that the next video game stars classic Sonic exclusively.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

This book is from 2014. However, Sega's been licensing out classic Sonic since 2006 (possibly earlier), so I don't think it has any relation to the next game.

One of the downsides of the artwork is that it's all flat. Back in the day, the artwork used lots of shading and 'depth'.

Also, I've seen a few items of classic Metal Sonic merch, but, oddly, he isn't in the guide.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I think this is intended for licensing merchandise.

When I see drawings like this, I see how much Felix the Cat influenced the early design.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

big_smile wrote:One of the downsides of the artwork is that it's all flat. Back in the day, the artwork used lots of shading and 'depth'.
Well, it's not an art book, it's a guide so Hot Topic can make screen printed t-shirts. They probably wouldn't want shading anyway.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Weren't all those handled by Akira Watanabe, basically (excepting maybe Screensaver and 8-Bit box art)? I imagine airbrushing is pretty labor-intensive stuff.

Man, i still wanna learn how to; i hear it's a dying art.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

In the UK, we've had a fair bit of classic merchandise, such as backpacks, phone covers and stationery. It's a shame they can't use the "airbrush" art for the non-clothing merchandise as it's quite different from the art that is usually used for "kids" products.

I'm actually surprised Sega went to the trouble of making a printed style guide. Most companies simply provide a PDF of do's and don'ts with an FTP site to download all the art.