I have all the Japanese Official Dreamcast Magazine issues

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

I have all the Japanese Official Dreamcast Magazine issues

Post by Cuckooguy »

So I own the whole Japanese Official Dreamcast Magazine issues, save for about two issues. I reckon there's about 120 issues here. I've had these for a couple years now, but then I wondered if there's an audience who wants the whole thing scanned? Would anyone here want to see it scanned? It's a daunting task due to the sheer magnitude of the page amount and making all the images be nice and squared and properly framed in a PDF document, and find a book scanner too!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: I have all the Japanese Official Dreamcast Magazine issu

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Holy smokes. That's impressive!

But 120 issues? I know the Dreamcast lingered on a bit longer in Japan, but that's still a lot of issues given the system died pretty quickly. Was this a bimonthly publication?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

It was a weekly publication!

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Cuckooguy wrote:It was a weekly publication!
What the fuck. What was there to talk about every week in Dreamcast news? Has there ever even been a weekly game magazine?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Sometimes there are 4 page articles spotlighting a random poster girl!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Sometimes the magazines would get really in-depth into a game, almost like walkthroughs. I've seen pages upon pages of movesets for Virtua Fighter 3TB characters, Grandia II maps, Spikeout information giving information on every enemy, etc. The main reason I got these in the first place was for my Skies of Arcadia site.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

A better question is how did you get them? An auction site? Someone who lives in Japan? How much were they in total?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Jingles wrote:
Cuckooguy wrote:It was a weekly publication!
What the fuck. What was there to talk about every week in Dreamcast news? Has there ever even been a weekly game magazine?
Isn't Famitsu one? I mean, the name of the mag is "WEEKLY Famitsu", after all...

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

Rob-Bert wrote:A better question is how did you get them? An auction site? Someone who lives in Japan? How much were they in total?
Yahoo Auctions Japan. It's been years since I got them so I forgot how much they cost me. $500-ish? Maybe? Sounds like a lot but the opportunity to obtain it all at once isn't something that presents itself often.

I recently won some auctions to complete my Skies of Arcadia manga (took like 5 years of auction searching for the chapters I was missing to pop up on auction sites) but the mail lost them. :( I browse japanese auction sites about twice a month.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'd ask over at RetroMags--I'm sure they'd be interested.

I own exactly one issue of this magazine, the one with the Virtual On OT 5.66 "customize" disc. :)

It's surprising that it "only" had 120 issues if it was weekly, that means it lasted only a little over two years. The US ODCM's 12 bimonthly issues only lasted a little less than that!

What auction sites do you visit? I know yahoo is pretty big but are there others worth checking out for this sort of thing? Do you use one of those proxy bidding services?

Cuckooguy
LEGEND

Post by Cuckooguy »

I use shoppingmalljapan as my deputy service. I primarily browse Yahoo Auctions Japan, but I'll also browse rakuten, which is also worth your time if you browse Japanese stores. There are also other places that I keep an eye on like mbok and Guruguru Auctions, but those have never had anything up that I was interested in.

It seems I own the Dreamcast Magazines up to mid to late 2001. Thinking about it, there were probably more magazines that went past this considering the Dreamcast's lifecycle went past mid-2001, so I might be lying about owning every issue! But 1998-2001 ain't too bad!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

So I had to look this up, I guess! It seems that Dreamcast Magazine ended with your 120th issue, so you do have the whole thing, but it may as well have just kept on going because the same publisher started putting out a new one called "DoriMaga" (ドリマガ), which still packed in demo discs from time to time, and eventually became a general magazine, "Ge-Maga" (ゲーマガ), although even before the name change it was already covering non-Sega titles and hardware.

Neat!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I would LOVE to see them scanned!

Man I had ALL the issues of the american ODCM. We'll never know what they thought of PSO. . .