New Sonic game for 2015

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: New Sonic game for 2015

Post by Radrappy »

Neo wrote:How is this a good thing? The series' quality peaked out twenty years ago.
shrug. I enjoyed Colors and Generations enough to feel like there's some worth in the modern brand. My god were the years from SA2 through Unleashed painful though.

I guess I'd rather have crap games than no games at all. Ideally they wouldn't try to crank out a game every year.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Neo wrote:Hypocrisy alert!
..Hm? In what way was I being a hypocrite? I was just pointing out that the original Smash Bros featured bad graphics, repetitive gameplay, and overall, lacked any real substance. Sequels featured improved graphics, but the gameplay pretty much remained the same. Its only selling hook is the large roster of Nintendo characters. Without them, nobody would give a shit about this game series.

But since I don't like it, I guess that means I'm a Sega fanboy and thus my opinion is worthless. I can't just.. you know, not like the game. There's got to be some ulterior motive.
Neo wrote:Holy shit.

I didn't actually ignore you before, but from now on I'm going to actively skip over each and every one of your posts. Jesus Christ.
Radrappy wrote:I never thought I'd see smash brothers compared to soul caliber as if they were remotely similar games.
They are both part of the "Fighting game" genre.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

cjmcray wrote:So, where's the Sonic Boom Happy Meals?
http://segabits.com/blog/2014/11/03/seg ... romotions/

Has anyone even heard of Del Taco? Apparently the nearest one is 600 miles from me.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm sure I've seen one (there are some in my area) but I've never been to one or had my attention drawn to it for any reason.

Anyway, that sports tape is just looking better and better:

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

"Sonic's already been a werewolf... what other Halloween monster could we make him into for the next game?"

"A mummy? A vampire?"

"FUND IT"

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I'm really digging that Slushie cup. A shame it's only available at a restaurant I've never heard of. :confused:

Oh man. That plush. :lol:

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Edit: nevermind, looks like the slushie cups are separate from the Del-Taco thing & available nationwide. Awesome. I'll keep an eye out for those. I'd like to have one ready for the premiere of Boom on Saturday. (Which just now popped up on the DirecTV guide. Eeeee)

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Did anyone play the demo? Holy shit that was awful, and this is supposed to be the good version?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I only played Seaside Beach, it was really tedious and boring and it really didn't help that the level took me about 12 minutes to complete. I got used to the controls and was able to go through the level just fine yet it often felt awkward to execute a lot of the moves. And despite the jumping and air dashing and general verticality the level just felt so....flat.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

My goodness. It's really hard not to be pessimistic after playing that. Here's hoping the cartoon succeeds.

Blah blah blah oh gosh these levels are really sparse blah bleh wait all four buttons do separate things oh god yadda yadda yadda now it's just alternating that blue block with those swings ho hum hmmm Sonic 4 Episode 2 was way more fun than this hmm hmmm hmmmm...

Oh the other hand, that worm level was kinda neat. Increase the complexity by adding in a jump and I think you have a solid five minute diversion.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

The cartoon series premieres in just.. 14 hours. "Can an Evil Genius Crash on Your Couch?" sounds hilarious. Can't wait. :grin:

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I'll watch it when it hits YouTube.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

That sort of attitude will contribute to its cancellation. :neutral:

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

cjmcray wrote:That sort of attitude will contribute to its cancellation. :neutral:
High five!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Soooo any legit streaming for it? Can we give CN its hard-earned ad revenue?

Dash

Post by Dash »

Not that I have found, but I did manage to see the first two shorts. It's fine. Less couch sitting than I had thought, and the gags were all right. I don't hate it or love it, but I can see kids enjoying it and that's pretty much what it's going for. I assume the games explain backstory and all? None of that is established here.

The 3DS demo is not the worst game I've played. Heck, the Wii U demo at PAX felt a lot worse. But geez was finishing the level unsatisfying. Like they forgot to put in a victory jingle or anything. The music is pretty nice! And somehow the character models are cuter than the TV/Wii U game ones are.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

I absolutely love this cartoon. I know we're only one episode in, but i'm still gonna say it: This may be the best out of all the Sonic animated series.

I liked the twist in the second episode that Eggman's base wasn't really destroyed at all, it was just a way for Eggman to drive all of Sonic's friends to exhaustion so they'd be easy to defeat. Sonic's drug-induced eyes in the trailer now made sense.

MOARRRRR!!!!1111

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'm so glad there's more action in the cartoon than I thought. I watched "Can an Evil Genius..." first, and for a good chunk of the episode I thought it was a kiddy Seinfeld but with Sonic characters. But the second half was a good mixture of humor and action, as was "Sidekicks". I can imagine kids taking a shine to this show if it weren't for its damned timeslot.

Sticks was personally the worst part of the show, but I don't know, maybe it's target audience generally likes this sort of thing?

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Given that I hate the comedy direction of Colours onwards, I watched with the expectation of bitterly hating it, and so was surprised to find that it's actual decent! It's biggest strength is that it not only focuses on the core characters but explores the relationships between them. Granted the relationships are limited, but it's enough to keep interest. The writing does a fairly good job of playing with expectations.

The biggest problem is the over prioritisation of comedy. The jokes aren't bad, but the slapstick focus makes it hard for the characters moments to have any weight to them.

Also, despite being a new universe, it doesn't seem to be that different from regular Sonic (with the possible exception of Amy), so the new designs feel like a desperate attempt to be edgy.

However, despite liking it, I half suspect that the reason I enjoyed it was because my expectations were so low. Still, I'm keen to checkout the next episode, which is more than I expected.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I thought it was OK. Harmless humor for the younguns. One thing I really thought was funny was that instead of making Amy the stereotypical "action girl" trope she's just kind of an annoying lackey that no one pays any attention to.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I watched the first 2 episodes. It was better than I expected and I think the tone of the series works quite well. I certainly think it's a good show for it's intended audience. However, it's not something I actually forsee myself watching again.
This may be the best out of all the Sonic animated series.
That's not really particularly high praise considering how poor the other Sonic cartoons are.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

And this is right after I finished praising both Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic SatAM some several pages ago.
big_smile wrote:The jokes aren't bad, but the slapstick focus makes it hard for the characters moments to have any weight to them.
Cartoon hedgehogs, fat scientists, blahblahblah you know the drill.

This is why I'm glad Bugs Bunny stuck entirely to slapstick and Uncle Scrooge stuck entirely to adventure. Otherwise they'd both be in the same boat as Sonic right now.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Someone managed to get their hands on Boom Wii-U and uploaded cutscenes. Enjoy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge1gUEZI74U

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I gotta say I love reading Esrever's impressions of the game on Twitter.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeaaaah. I only played it for about an hour, but it is exhibiting Sonic '06 levels of unfinished. The frame rate frequently drops to an absolute crawl at times, especially during speed sections. I also fell through the floor once. And during the cut scene that (I assume) would have introduced the new villain, the audio glitched out and started screaming static until I skipped over it. So now I'm also just not sure what's going on.