New Sonic game for 2015

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Re: New Sonic game for 2015

Post by Neo »

Frieza2000 wrote:That was probably their primary motivation, but they had existing choices that already have at least some fan love. Cream, Rouge, Blaze - heck, it already looks like a Marine redesign. Maybe it started that way? Maybe they wanted to minimize the number of characters they updated for fear of the backlash? That, or Pontac really thinks they can play off of this personality type and decided it would be too awkward to force any of the available pegs into that hole.
I think the issue here is more that Sonic and co. have to be meeting her for the first time in order for the plot to work. That in itself is a problem with the plot, since apparently none of these people have enough wit to come up with a coherent storyline featuring only the existing character base. Which is why we keep having Eggman be hijacked by the monster of the week every time, no one seems to be able to write a story in which Eggman actually creates some new threat instead of finding something in some ancient ruins or whatever.

Wow I still care about Sonic huh

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Well, this is about the most irritating voice-acting I think I've ever heard. It personally ruins a character that I think looks visually interesting, and whose basic shtick, being a feral loner living in the jungle, could make for some decent stories if handled well.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Well, this is about the most irritating voice-acting I think I've ever heard. It personally ruins a character that I think looks visually interesting, and whose basic shtick, being a feral loner living in the jungle, could make for some decent stories if handled well.
Man, no kidding. STICKS IS A WIIILD ANIMAL

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Gameplay footage and info of the Wii U version

And the 3DS version.

Not too keen on what I've seen of the Wii U game. It just seems to be a bit of a generic platform brawler with a stronger emphasis on combat than previous Sonic games. The 3DS version looks a lot more interesting although it doesn't seem like a traditional Sonic game either. The 3DS version features Sticks as the 4th playable character instead of Amy and there's also a mention of a new villain character called Lyric.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The Wii U version looks like they took Adventure/Heroes/Unleashed and removed the bottomless pits. It's got potential, but Adventure/Heroes/Unleashed isn't what I want from a Sonic game.

The 3DS version seems to be a mash up of Sonic Rush and Sonic Rivals with a hint of Sonic & Knuckles. It feels truer to Sonic, but still seems off.

Boom looks more promising than previous Sonic misfires. But, I was hoping a reboot of Sonic would try and rework the classic Sonic formulae for a new era. These games just seem to add-in lots of bells and whistles.
It's a bit like the Star Trek movie was awesome because it took the essence of the TV show and made it new again. They could have drawn inspiration from the popularity of comic book movies made Captain Kirk a super hero. It probably would have still made a decent film, but it wouldn't really be true Star Trek. That's how Boom looks at the moment.

Also, in-game Sonic is a bit of disappointment. They've spent all this time promoting his new look, yet in-game he doesn't actually look that different.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Man that footage they showed looked rough. I have a hard time believing that they're going to make the Winter 2014 release date. . .

As for the gameplay, it feels a little bit like a poor man's Ratchet and Clank All 4 One. Right now, the best thing I can say is that the boss animations seemed pretty fun and full of personality. The inane chatter between teammates is giving me all kinds of war flashbacks to Sonic Heroes. Not good.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Well those sure disappeared quickly.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Thanks! And... ugh, it's the "Game Explain" guy.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Here's a interview that features some more footage from the speed stage and the Sonic/Knuckles adventure level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaY7XPc0VQA#t=28

I think the Wii U version looks reasonably slick, but the footage is definitely as reminiscent of combat driven 3D platformers like Jak, Ratchet and Skylanders as it is of Sonic. (If not moreso.) Now, I happen to dig those other games, so Boom looks fun to me, just... not really actually like a proper Sonic game? Then again, maybe that's for the best. I actually thought the traditional "speed" section was the least interesting looking part of the footage. Let them focus on their slower-paced co-op combat platformer if they want to. As long as it's fun, I'm not going to grouse about it being too different.

It's a little concerning to hear there's so big a discrepancy between the relatively polished looking game in the footage and the buggy, choppy demo the Game Explain guy describes playing. Hopefully it was an old build.

The 3DS game looks fun too, although I think people are giving it a bit of a pass because it's 2D. Despite the perspective, it doesn't strike me as being especially more Sonic like. It does look cool, though, and I like the idea of an exploration focused 2D platformer where you use character swapping to access different areas of big, open, nonlinear levels.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

G.Silver wrote:Thanks! And... ugh, it's the "Game Explain" guy.
AND LET ME TELL YOU... IT WASN'T EASY!

I think both versions look... OK. The 3DS version reminds me of those Crash Bandicoot games on GBA.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Esrever wrote: I actually thought the traditional "speed" section was the least interesting looking part of the footage.
I also thought the speed section was the least interesting part, mainly because they seem to have been ripped from an Iizuka game.
There doesn't seem to be any attempt to develops the speed aspect.
It's like the developer thought Sonic is beyond saving, so they might as well just create a modern 3D platform that has a Sonic skin stuck on top.

Wombatwarlord777

There are a bunch of really neat little ideas from that Game Explain trailer that I like, especially the satisfying way in which the players fell Eggman's boss robot with their energy lassos and then deliver a cathartic barrage of final hits. I also like the idea that Amy is nimble enough to walk leisurely across rails, which ought to open up some good platforming scenarios that only she is controllable enough to navigate (I guess the others have to swing beneath rails now, instead of grinding on them?), and also memorably emphasizes that Amy's new strengths are gymnastics and balance, distinct from Tails's flight, Sonic's speed, etc., etc.

However, yeah, the overall experience looks really rough. As jerky as the combat looks, my biggest concerns are the 2D sections, which rely upon springs and other boosters way too much for their own good and don't look as if they allow for much in the way of fluid motion. Which I don't get, since even the 2D sections of Modern Sonic's levels in Generations seemed to have more initiative and enjoyable physics.

Wombatwarlord777

"...More intuitive and enjoyable physics." Bah. Although I suppose they also had more initiative as well.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

It looks actually pretty decent in my opinion. I just wish the developers could decide what they want to do. Like a lot of sonic games now, they can't ever decide on a direction. If you're going to make a sonic adventure actiony game than make that. If you want to make a 2d platformed do that instead. I getting tired of games that are mixed bags.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I like the notion of Sonic getting a Metroidvania for the first time in nearly 20 years, even if it looks more like Rayman in execution (hello, purple lums!). Though, it remains to be seen whether Sanzaru can make a classic on the level of Tails Adventures (which, to be fair, was made by Aspect, of all people.)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

God, Tails Adventure! Now there's a slow-paced spinoff franchise I wouldn't mind seeing resurrected. I have to admit, the one unbridled grin this latest round of previews got out of me was when they mentioned Tails using a submarine and a remote-controlled Robot.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:I have to admit, the one unbridled grin this latest round of previews got out of me was when they mentioned Tails using a submarine and a remote-controlled Robot.
My enthusiasm for this endeavor now hinges solely on whether said submarine's front end is composed entirely of a massive drill.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yes! I did it! After all these years, finally, I too can help ruin Sonic for everyone!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Y'all still get excited for these games? This has looked terrible from day one. It looks almost like a direct sequel to the wretched Sonic Heroes.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Richard Jacques is composing the 3DS version.

I'm still not hyped, but intrigued...

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

So I played the demo at e3 today and have some thoughts

wiiu version:

-camera was kind of jerky and jarring
-characters wouldn't shut up but you can kind of tune it out
-combat isn't so fun, context sensitive attacks based on your position would help. Or team attacks that happen when you are both whaling on an enemy
-no frame rate problems or glitches in my play-through
-the game is about exploration and combat.

bottom line: Not as horrendous as expected. About as enjoyable as a Lego video game so if you can turn your brain off, it might be worth picking up. Puzzles were kind of fun.

3DS version:

-definitely the better of the two
-very floaty
-odd that everyone has a homing attack but probably necessary
-loved having all 4 characters at my disposal to explore with
-giving knuckles the drill whisp power was a stroke of brilliance.
-looked quite nice in its native format

bottom line:
seems fine but again, doesn't feel like a Sonic game really.

Anyway, does anyone even care about these games? A lot of work went into the sega booth this year; there were toys on display and big ol statues of the characters. But its impossible to discard the notion that these games simply aren't for us.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah. They're clearly shooting for the LEGO/Skylanders audience. If that's the agenda... well, this does look a lot like those games, so maybe kids will dig it? I liked Skylanders Swap Force a lot. But I liked it because it was slick and hyper polished and felt like the product of billions of toy dollars.

It's weird to see a game built entirely around the Sonic characters, like, as characters. I mean, just treating them like they're regular cartoons like Spongebob or Batman... as though they had no established videogame legacy whatsoever. The Wii U game looks like Sonic and company are just characters from a TV show, and this is the first game they've ever been placed in.

It prioritizes all the things that licensed games usually prioritize, like accurately aping the look and sound and narrative. And it takes the approach to gameplay that those games usually do, too... that is, it leans on whatever established, well worn gameplay mechanics fit with the character archtypes. Sonic doesn't control like Sonic. He controls like a typical "fast" videogame character. Knuckles controls like a typical strong character. Amy does acrobatic platforming. Tails will presumably do "smart character" stuff with machines and puzzles. It's all very familiar! Just not of, you know, actual Sonic games.

There are bits here and there that are derived from previous games in the series, but the vast, vast majority of the looting is from titles entirely outside of it. And it feels like a lot of anyone's ability to enjoy it is going to be dictated by the quality of the actual TV show.