Pick your soundtrack

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Pick your soundtrack

Post by G.Silver »

The last time I linked to an OCR Sonic compilation somebody got banned! What exciting thing will happen this time?

It contains remixes of both the US and Japanese soundtrack, so you don't have to pick sides, and I doubt that the remixes reflect the severe differences between them. But I haven't actually listened to it all yet, so instead of weighing in on that (like I know anything about music anyway--I mean really what do I know, usually I actually like these projects!) I thought I'd share this:

Back when I was still on dial-up, I met a guy online who actually had the Japanese version of the game (in real life, I didn't even know another person with a SegaCD). I certainly didn't have the means to download the whole soundtrack and he didn't have the ability to rip it, but he generously volunteered to share the whole thing with me via a mailed tape cassette (CD burning was also not an option!). He even included a few preview tracks from NiGHTS--Mr. CoolGuy already had the Japanese version and it hadn't released in the US yet. So I still had some appreciation for the US soundtrack, but discovering the "original" in this manner gave me a pretty insufferable preference for the Japanese version. These days you'd just hop online and download the whole thing, or stream it from youtube like it was no big deal at all (or you'd have it included in the latest edition of the game). Anyway, how far we've come, right?

Majestic Joey

Re: Pick your soundtrack

Post by Majestic Joey »

I've been listening to it. I like so far. I think they did the vocal tracks pretty decent. I also like how they deviate away from the original music but the music still feels very much like 90's sonic music. Also one song (one of the boss remixes) uses a sample from mark hamill's joker laugh, which I thought was pretty cool.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Pick your soundtrack

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

apropos of little: I've streamed this and other Sonic-related from Youtube and I keep getting these "Sonic Zombie" shit that has Sonic groping Rouge and an Amy upskirt shot for thumbnails in the recommended videos. I've put up with a lot of shit from this fanbase, but I think they're pushing it too far now. They are million-plus viewed, too. ugh.

on topic: the most stand-out tracks are "you can do anything" and "sonic boom", which I guess is fitting since for the longest time they were the extent of my deciding which is "superior"; sonic boom was my favorite of the two, but ycda grew on me throughout the years to the point of eclipsing SB, but SB is still a timeless anthem for me. Both remixes are pallid facsimiles, though.

The rest is immediately forgettable. I feel bad about being so dismissive since I'm as inept a composer as any joe schmo, but man.