SONIC HYDRO THUNDER

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wooduck51

Re: SONIC HYDRO THUNDER

Post by Wooduck51 »

Esrever wrote:But nothing, nothing could have saved that story.
Well that is a hard (nigh impossible) point to argue, though maybe I could venture that had there been a little less of "I am my own destiny" that Shadow's plot thread could have been... decent?
Yes, it still might have only ever been your Wal-Mart brand "living weapon now turned special agent" story, but, maybe..
(Though admittedly I liked it anyway for the most part; though Darth Mephiles was a tad cliched, and I couldn't decide whether finding the second all powerful scepter stuck in a fountain was either brilliantly underplayed, or terribly lazy)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Malchik wrote:
Esrever wrote:it is, down to it's very core, the absolute worst kind of indefensible excruciating self-important brain-dead angst-ridden pseudo-mature nonsensical fanfic-written-by-a-12-year-old-who-claims-to-be-a-16-year-old anime-bullshit imaginable.
I think Sonic Team emulated the Final Fantasy formula quite well, actually.
That's what I said!

(kidding, kidding)

(mostly)

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

And how ironic it is, seeing that Square started off completely ripping off Sega.

The real kicker is how many of the game's transgressions are present in Sonic 1 concept art:

Let's see, eldritch monsters? check. Human girlfriend? check.

This gives credence to '06 being a reboot. Only the staff didn't stop to think whether certain elements were dropped due to time, budget and tech limitations, or because original ST realized they were stupid. (though uncomfortable inter-species romance eventually showed up in Ohshima's Blinx series)

Hell, even Eggman Nega's color scheme is clearly derived from this piece!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Haha, yeah! In their interviews for that History of Sonic book, both Naka and Oshima separately express disappointment about SEGA of America putting the kibosh on their original Sonic story proposal... the loss of Madona and the band and whatever else was intended as a part of it before SEGA pushed for a vaguely environmentalist theme. I think it's telling that they still feel that way, all these years later!