We few, we happy, we Smash Bros. in arms.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jingles

Re: We few, we happy, we Smash Bros. in arms.

Post by Jingles »

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

OH GOD YES

Hey, seeing as Buckner & Garcia covered both Pac-Man and Donkey Kong, mebbe it'd be a good idea for Nintendo to license those songs. :eek:

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I admit, I WAS skeptical when first hearing the news, but seeing that awesome trailer brought me back on the hype train hard.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

That is indeed some awesome news. I also love it that they're trying to pack in (heh) as many references to classic Namco arcade games (Galaga, Mappy, probably some others that went right over my head) into the character as possible.

Man, this game keeps looking more and more fun.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm kind of astonished they convinced Namco Bandai to let them use the classic Pacman instead of the modern redesign. Those guys are very dedicated to that relaunch.

It does sort of look weird to see the modern Sonic running around with such a retro Pacman and Megaman, though!

Neo

Post by Neo »

Ah, but they've obviously tweaked the proportions to be a bit more inline with classic Sonic than Boosty McBooster. You can see the difference in spine length between Smash 4 and Brawl:

Getting full-on stocky black-eyed Sonic would be next to impossible, but this already looks so good that I'm not complaining.

Neo

Post by Neo »

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYM ... UqGB_72OBA

Nintendoes what Sega is a fucking piece of shit in comparison.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Isn't that just the model used in Sonic Generations?

Neo

Post by Neo »

I tend to forget Generations is a thing due to how poorly all the enemies and other classic gimmicks were handled. It's like they had a separate team handling the landscape design (which looks amazing) and the object design (which looks either boring, or overly messy and unreadable). It got better in Lost World, but both sides gave in a bit.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'll just add that the amount of detail they're putting into the goddamn trophies is amazing.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Neo wrote:I tend to forget Generations is a thing due to how poorly all the enemies and other classic gimmicks were handled. It's like they had a separate team handling the landscape design (which looks amazing) and the object design (which looks either boring, or overly messy and unreadable). It got better in Lost World, but both sides gave in a bit.
A lot of the enemies and objects seem to have been taken from Sonic Colors. Iizuka mentioned in that French Sonic history book that they weren't originally going to have a game for the 20th Anniversary, implying that work on Generations started very late. If that's the case, then using Colors assets was a smart move as it would have freed up development time to focus on other areas.

Neo

Post by Neo »

big_smile wrote:A lot of the enemies and objects seem to have been taken from Sonic Colors. Iizuka mentioned in that French Sonic history book that they weren't originally going to have a game for the 20th Anniversary, implying that work on Generations started very late. If that's the case, then using Colors assets was a smart move as it would have freed up development time to focus on other areas.
I just think the enemies in Green Hill and Chemical Plant looked like shit, had pointless changes done to them, and were oftentimes so goddamn busy that you couldn't tell what the fuck they're supposed to be. That game as a whole had serious readability issues.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Yes, Sakurai is the patron saint of trolling and all but i'm too hype for this to care. Sonic can suck it, Fire Emblem is my drug of choice now

Though on that note:

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Heck yes, more anime sword guys!! How many are there now, six?

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Jingles wrote:Heck yes, more anime sword guys!! How many are there now, six?
Link, Marth, Ike, Robin, Toon Link...? and technically Pit, so anywhere between 4-6.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Robin is a spellcaster. He doesn't even use his sword as a sword. He shoots lighting out of it.

Pit uses a bow that splits into two small blades. That barely counts. Some of his moves in this outing have also been replaced with non-sword weapons from Uprising.

So that only leaves Link, Marth, Ike, and Toon Link if you wanna count him. Only 4. 4 anime sword guys and 1 anime sword girl.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I wonder how many characters we are getting in total? They've announced 36 so far. Brawl had 35... although Zelda/Sheik and the two Samus' counted as two characters in that game instead of four.

Of the 36 announced so far, three -- Lucinia, Luigi and Toon Link -- are "clones" or "semi-clones" or whatever you want to call them. Brawl had five or six.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Over 40 easily. There are still newcomers to go and it's become fairly clear that there will be few cuts from Brawl (Snake/Squirtle/Ivysaur seem to be the only obvious ones for now).

Considering Namco likes money so much, I wouldn't count out DLC expansions to the roster either.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Namco isn't publishing this game, Nintendo is. Namco is just building a game according to Nintendo's specification, so it's entirely up to Nintendo what extraneous meta-transaction spiel will or will not be present. See: Amiibos.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Technically, the amiibos aren't THAT kind of meta-DLC (a la Skylanders or Disney Infinity), they just give you an automated CPU fighter that you can customize and level up--but it is 100% optional and not needed to unlock new fighters.

I see to recall Sakurai saying he *might* look into DLC for additional fighters and stages if the demand was great enough after the game's release, but I'm not holding my breath unless they actually OFFICIALLY announce something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

If you didn't catch the 3DS version tournament at Comic-con, it was best described as Bowser: The Game. There's buffing an ineffective character, and then there's making him the new Metaknight :(

(above gif from the grand finals)

Neo

Post by Neo »

please don't spread this great meme 10/10 to these parts of the internet

thank you

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

FlashTHD wrote: If you didn't catch the 3DS version tournament at Comic-con, it was best described as Bowser: The Game. There's buffing an ineffective character, and then there's making him the new Metaknight :(

Wonder if the tiny stage size in general on the 3ds has anything to do with it. I cannot bring myself to be excited for the portable version, it looks like a hot mess. Like trying to play powerstone 2 on a vita.

On the plus side, Bowser has been atrocious in two games so far, so a buff was definitely in order.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

FlashTHD wrote:
If you didn't catch the 3DS version tournament at Comic-con, it was best described as Bowser: The Game. There's buffing an ineffective character, and then there's making him the new Metaknight :(

I wouldn't go that far: 1. everyone in that tournament was playing it safe, using fighters they were comfortable with in past games, which was a flawed plan due to rebalancing. 2. They only had so much time to learn the game before the tourny started. & 3. there's only about half the roster in the demo anyway.

Bowser dominated by means of being incredibly noob friendly. By the time the game is out & everyone's had time to deeply dissect it & learn how to play it properly, Bowser probably won't be so OP anymore. In comparison I remember people saying Ike was OP in Brawl demos. Not remotely true now.

In other news: