New Sonic Cartoon

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: New Sonic Cartoon

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The disconcerting thing about Knuckles' silhouette is that it doesn't really look like a Sonic character at all. The series has had big strong guys before - Bark, Big, Storm, Vector - but they still adhered to the fundamental rule of having simple shapes for the body with tube-like limbs attached. Shoulders and defined arm musculature have never been part of the equation before, and they just look out of place next to everyone else's noodle limbs.

I appreciate the idea of making each character as visually distinct as possible, but in that case why have they gotten rid of his big fists and boxing gloves? He's called Knuckles - punching is kind of his thing. Why detract one of the character's most notable design features? And de-emphasising his spines only serves to diminish the (already tenuous) concept of Knuckles being an echidna. Does Sonic even still have spines on his back? Are they all wearing backpacks? Is Tails really going to get out of this completely unscathed? I have no idea what's even going on.
cjmcray wrote:I'm relieved it isn't on Nick. Just imagine how ugly it would look on that network. All of their CGI cartoons look like garbage.
The Nickelodeon Ninja Turtles is the only CGI TV show I've seen that I actually like the look of, but I don't follow many cartoons these days, so I don't have much frame of reference. Green Lantern got by okay due to the intrinsically sparse setting, but Beware the Batman was almost painful to watch.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

uh HELLO ????

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Popcorn wrote:uh HELLO ????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzDW4gzEQGA

The future is bright!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

big_smile wrote:(We know there is one more Nintendo exclusive title, but I don't think it would be a main title so soon after Lost World, and you think they would want to save the debut of new designs for a main title).
I was under the impression that's what Sonic being in Smash 4 would be, now that it's official...

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think we'll see another "main" Sonic series title until 2015. A two-year gap is the standard, and there's not much point rushing to get a ps4 or xbone Sonic title out early in their lifecycles, where they are primarily purchased by older enthusiasts over families with children. (I think this is actually one of the primary reasons why SEGA went for the exclusive deal with Nintendo and why it caps at 3 games.)

The third Nintendo exclusive Sonic is probably a holiday 2014 side-title. My money is on something from Sumo Digital. (Smash is a Nintendo title, so it shouldn't count towards the deal.)