GHZ Kickstarter Picks

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Re: GHZ Kickstarter Picks

Post by Frieza2000 »

Yooka-Laylee ended about $600,000 under Mighty #9, but with 6000 more donors. Much better than I expected. Given its amazing start, Shenmue might've topped that if we didn't just find out it's being funded by Sony. The Kickstarter is going to have to clarify what exactly we're paying for. The most favorable way they could present it is probably as a matching donation thing, where Sony will budget a certain amount for every dollar raised by the funding date.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Using kickstarter as a glorified preorder service would be reasonable if these companies were more forthright about it. I mean, best case scenario, the industry finally starves that parasitic tumor of a franchise, GameStop. Everyone wins.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Sony is funding Shenmue 3. Pretty much all of these major "AAA" games on Kickstarter are securing actual publisher funding on top of the Kickstarter funds. If you think any studio can make a game on the scale of Shenmue 3 or even Bloodstained, Yooka-Laylee, Mighty No. 9 and whatever else for ~$2 million each, you are woefully naive. These studios are all using Kickstarter to prove there is market viability for their games, and then they get the real money to produce the game from a publishing company.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

It would make sense for them to do that, but strictly speaking I don't think they'd have to. Obviously a Shenmue game on par with its predecessors is beyond the reach of crowdfunding, but a Megaman game? Even with the cost of maintaining an office and all that kind of overhead, what kind of salaries do you have to pay to use up 3 million dollars making a 2.5d side scroller in a 2 year period? Playtonic claims it intends to build a team of around 15 people for Yooka-Laylee. With a development time of a year and a half, even if they all got 6 figure salaries there'd still be about a million left over. They did only ask for $275k at the start and claimed they planned to cover the rest with "personal finances," so you may be right that securing a publisher was the plan all along, but with what they ended up with I don't think it would be necessary, just profitable.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

For those still wondering, turns out SEGA was pretty okay with the whole thing from the get-go! (then again, they probably figured "welp, less work for US to do")

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I'm surprised Sega isn't more involved. Obviously, they'd never be able to offer financial support. But I would have thought that in exchange for giving the rights they'd, at the very least, want their logo slapped on it.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Speaking of kickstarters, I got these from the mail a week ago. =D

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Along with the NiGHTS interview over in the Interesting Sonic Team interviews thread, I just gotta plug Shmuplations again--as a fan of old Japanese games, the interviews this guy is translating are the things I seem to look forward to the most every month. If you back the Patreon, you get to vote (two votes per month) towards what interviews you want to see translated, and there are some other Sonic Team ones in there. If anybody else wants to get in on it and we have any any overlap in high priority interviews then I'd be happy to team up to push a particular interview towards the top of the pile. :)

Anyway here's a couple other recent good ones:
Megaman's creator (not Inafune) on MM1 and MM2
Treasure interview from right before Ikaruga released
Revenge of Shinobi Retrospective
Streets of Rage 2 Retrospective with Ayano Koshiro (Yuzo's sister!)