Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jingles

Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Post by Jingles »

Satoru Iwata just announced Sonic: Lost World, a new Wii U exclusive 3D platformer, on the Nintendo Direct.

Jingles

Re: Sonic ..Excursion?

Post by Jingles »

Jingles wrote:Satoru Iwata just announced Sonic: Lost World, a new Wii U exclusive 3D platformer, on the Nintendo Direct.
And here's a promo pic.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Oh goodness.

If anyone else wants to jump to wild conclusions, Iwata's brief, unspecific comments regarding this game are at 4:45 into the Nintendo Direct presentation. He says they have entered into a "world wide partnership" with Sega concerning Sonic the Hedgehog. This game will be exclusive to Nintendo platforms, but what else does this imply? Could Sega have given console exclusivity in exchange for that (previously mentioned) badly-needed Miyamoto table-flipping? "More details prior to e3," he says.

That said, I have prepared a new version of "The Sonic Cycle" in anticipation of this inevitable reveal, with perhaps overly optimistic hopes (even I have failed to meet them so far):

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I have very mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm finding it hard to care because I don't own a WiiU and I have no intention of buying one in the near future(I probably will get one eventually but there really needs to be some better exclusive titles first). However, the idea of Nintendo having more involvement in the development of a Sonic game is definitely appealing. I'll certainly keep an eye on this.
He says they have entered into a "world wide partnership" with Sega concerning Sonic the Hedgehog.
I'm guessing this means we can expect Sonic in Smash Bros again(and more of those shitty Olympic games)

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Gaz wrote:I'm guessing this means we can expect Sonic in Smash Bros again(and more of those shitty Olympic games)
The shitty Olympic games were also covered in the video. :)

big_smile
Drano Master

Re: Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Post by big_smile »

If this means that Hirokazu Yasuhara (who is working at Nintendo) will be involved with this game, then this is the best news ever.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I think you're all jumping to conclusions. According to Sega's press release, all this collaboration consists of is the next 3 Sonic titles having Nintendo consoles as their "number one destination". To me this sounds like "Sonic games will launch on Wii U and 3DS a few months before any other platforms."

No Miyamoto tea table upending yet, guys.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Not happy about this.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Here's hoping for a light hearted story with no serious drama! WINK

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Probably just a coincidence, but that planet reminds me of Mario Galaxy.

Could "Lost World" refer to an area from Mario Galaxy that Sonic stumbles upon? Maybe this "exclusive" three-game deal is to set the stage for a Mario/Sonic platformer?

I hope this "partnership" is only for 3 games. I don't want this to be a sign of Sonic forever being a Nintendo exclusive. T_T

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Brand new, expensive next gen Sony and MS hardware is a terrible place for new Sonic games. The install base has too many older hardware enthusiasts who don't care about Sonic, and not enough children. Also, if '06 was any indication, Sonic Team needs a couple of years to make a competent first game on brand new hardware anyway. So I imagine this 3-game Nintendo deal seemed like a wise way for them to stall a couple years until the PS4 and XBOXwhatever are really ripe for a "next gen" Sonic.

(Just as an aside: Sega made six Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games last gen, if the Olympics games count. So I guess the only thing that is unusual here is that the three exclusives are all coming out in an uninterrupted stream.)

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Concerning the three game-deal with Nintendo... Sonic Retro claims that the next Olympics games will count as two of those games. So yeah...

I wonder if this planet composed of hexagons is going to have something to do with how Sonic navigates this world. Maybe it'll be like a very large SMB3-style map with the hexagons containing paths and stage entrances or what not. It'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:Concerning the three game-deal with Nintendo... Sonic Retro claims that the next Olympics games will count as two of those games. So yeah...
The link you gave explicitly states that Lost World and Olympics are 2/3 titles. The final title has yet to be revealed and could be anything from a new racing entry to another main series game.
Esrever wrote:
(Just as an aside: Sega made six Nintendo-exclusive Sonic games last gen, if the Olympics games count. So I guess the only thing that is unusual here is that the three exclusives are all coming out in an uninterrupted stream.)
Pretty much. The only thing that's eyebrow raising is that nintendo will be publishing the titles in Europe and Australia. They've done this kind of thing before (pretty sure they published the olympic games titles in Japan) but never on what is arguably Sonic's home turf. Where he moves the most units anyway.
Neo wrote:I think you're all jumping to conclusions. According to Sega's press release, all this collaboration consists of is the next 3 Sonic titles having Nintendo consoles as their "number one destination". To me this sounds like "Sonic games will launch on Wii U and 3DS a few months before any other platforms."

No Miyamoto tea table upending yet, guys.
http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicLostWorld/
the website has them listed as exclusives. What that means though in this day and age is, I agree, completely up in the air.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

http://sonic.sega.jp/SonicLostWorld

I figure that's a temporary logo for the game, but I like it.. would be kinda neat if they left the japanese letters in the final product.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Really glad we're finally getting the Sonic/Settlers of Catan mashup we deserve.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

G.Silver wrote:Image
cjmcray wrote:Not happy about this.
I agree with these sentiments. I liked the trend of decent Sonic games being released on Steam, but if these are truly Nintendo exclusives and not just timed exclusives then I'm going to ignore the shit out of them, just like I did with all the Wii-exclusive Sonic games.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah. I mean, I have a Wii U... I bought it because I like Nintendo games and Rayman... but I liked getting Sonic stuff on Steam. They were cheap and they ran a lot prettier. I was still kind of hoping that Colours would get a Steam release, since it's the only other one of the good modern era games that hasn't.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Sega of America President John Cheng gave some hints as to what to expect. It seems Sonic will be getting new friends. Hopefully, they will just be NPCs.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

big_smile wrote:It seems Sonic will be getting new friends. Hopefully, they will just be NPCs.
Professor Challenger confirmed!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I am already turned off.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Really? Because I think I've figured them all out, and I'm super excited about super-ripped Eggman and Sexy the Lamprey.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

In other news:

No gaudy color scheme, no fugly Tails' insignia (Winged Star Ring fo' life). This is how you redesign a classic element.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Im getting a strong bowser/koopalings vibe from those silhouettes. They even have manacles with spikes on them for crissakes. Here's hoping they're not THAT annoying.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So far I've read people bitching that the characters remind them of Skylanders, Pokemon, Bombermen, Koopalings, etc (I first thought of the evil Kongs in DK Junglebeat for some reason?). It's amazing how they can be so derivative of many disparate franchises!