Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: Sonic Lost World - Nintendo Exclusive

Post by Radrappy »

debut trailer.
I like that the flickies are returning but what the fuck is up with the gameplay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-sIkDWfccU

amazingly there appears to be no boosting and that this is a complete departure from what we've been playing for the past 5 years.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

I hope it's not an auto runner!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Well, I'm intrigued at least.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Cuckooguy wrote:I hope it's not an auto runner!
that's not funny.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I like the return of the animal friends and the cartoony style. Really not sure what to make of the gameplay though.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

It almost looks like a revival of Sonic Xtreme.

I personally really love the design of those new bad guys.

I also noticed Sonic's running animation is the Super Peel Out.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Obviously taking a big chunk of inspiration from Galaxy... amazing how much that makes it look like Sonic X-treme! It's really hard to get a vibe for exactly how the gameplay will feel from the trailer -- that kind of design looks like it would need to nail some pretty tight controls. But I like that they're doing something different this time. (And I like the art direction.)

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Don't look now but there's a sheep

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Looks kind of what I thought a 3D Sonic would look like before Adventure. I dig it. And those villains look pretty cool too!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Looks like Chaotix's Special Stage cranked up to 11. I approve.

I'm not to keen on what appears to be a homing attack mashfest in places. At least boosting isn't central (or -- dare I dream? -- gone).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

I'm in two minds about this.

One the one hand, it's the 3D game we've all wanted: A 3D play ground where Sonic's speed is used to explore. There seems to be a few narrow strip sections but it looks like falling off will lead to another part of the stage.

The environments look, like Jingles noted, what I expected Adventure to be.

On the other hand, it's a bit disappointing that they have to borrow from Super Mario Galaxy to create a 3D environment with a focus on exploration. Still that's only a minor quibble.

It's great to see that the animal friends are back even if it is only 3 of them. However, are they supposed to now be residents of another planet? And they don't speak English anymore?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Maybe the "Lost World" title is supposed to be sort of ironic?

Most of the Galaxy-ey parts look derivative from X-treme, so I can totally get past that. New bad guys don't do anything to me, neither like nor dislike 'em. I must say that I'm SICK of Green Hill Zone aesthetics by now, give it a rest Sega.
Radrappy wrote:
Cuckooguy wrote:I hope it's not an auto runner!
that's not funny.
Internet cold sweat? :P

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

And they don't speak English anymore?
Did they ever?

Jingles

Re:

Post by Jingles »

Isuka wrote:I must say that I'm SICK of Green Hill Zone aesthetics by now, give it a rest Sega.
Oh yes. How I've grown to despise checkerboard patterns.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

So,I'm not nearly as impressed by this as most people are.

I'm getting far more of a Sonic X-treme vibe than Mario Galaxy. What I mean by that is that the cylindrical stage design looks to primarily serve as a visual gimmick rather than an innovative gameplay experience. Sure there are a few moments where it looks like you'll be running up slopes to avoid obstacles, a la special stages of old, but that's not very new by any stretch.

When I look at this game just now I don't see creative energy, I see SA2's Green Hill Zone fed through a Sonic X-treme/Monkey ball filter.

Granted, if the main entry that had preceded this had been terrible, I'd understand why there was lots of positive buzz. I genuinely thought Generations was great though. I'm not saying I'd just want more of that, but I am saying that as a follow up to Generations, this doesn't really seem that impressive. It doesn't look bad by any stretch, but it isn't pushing my buttons!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

The impression I was left with was "let's drag Xtreme out of the closet and see how shamelessly derivative we can be while we're at it". Not particularly inspiring.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

So shortly after writing that (groan) I read this article.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/05/28/s ... rio-galaxy

Sounds like there's more thought going into the gameplay changes than I initially may have thought. The discussion about regulating speed is interesting. The parkour system is potentially an excellent fix to the problems of running full speed, but also potentially a game breaker. We'll see how that turns out.
As mentioned, Sonic Team’s greatest challenge was maintaining a sense of speed for the series while finding controls that made sense. The result is now that, by default, Sonic doesn’t burst off with a tilt of the analog stick. He walks – until you use one of the GamePad’s triggers to engage his running speed. This too is actually not full speed. Holding down the second trigger will pull Sonic into a ball, giving him access to his full momentum, which Iizuka likened to the ‘Boost speed’ from previous titles. By creating a tiered structure to movement, Sonic Team is hoping players will be able to navigate the wide range of level designs, exploring and running as necessary

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Sounds a bit too complicated for a Sonic game's controls, but if that's what it takes for people to not lose control...
Jingles wrote:Oh yes. How I've grown to despise checkerboard patterns.
I never said that. They're reusing the ENTIRE aesthetics, not just the checkerboard patterns.

Don't know about you, but I don't like every game featuring the same damn stage over and over and over and fucking over again. And no, it's not enough that it has a tweak or two.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think it's THAT wholesale of a Green Hill skin. It's derivative, but I think this feels like as much of a new spin on the old checkerboard hills trope as Emerald Hill, Palmtree Panic and Seaside Hill did. It helps that they are taking that tired aesthetic and wrapping it around a totally different (and frankly, kind of bizarre looking!) physical structure. It's the same sort of making-the-familiar-look-unfamiliar maneuver that Galaxy did.

Anyhow, the other level described in the article is a desert full of food, so I guess they're not going to lean on history for the rest of the environments. (At least, not Sonic's history.) It also says the Wisp powers are coming back, which makes sense, because these guardian guys look like an extension of their art direction.

Really curious to go hands-on with the different control scheme. It's funny that this came up today, because just yesterday I just spent a three hour car ride with Tyson from Boxer Hockey talking about the pros and cons of introducing a Mario-styled run button. (I'd never really thought of it as an option before!)

Jingles

Re:

Post by Jingles »

Isuka wrote:
Jingles wrote:Oh yes. How I've grown to despise checkerboard patterns.
I never said that. They're reusing the ENTIRE aesthetics, not just the checkerboard patterns.
Haha, yes, I was agreeing with you! I literally meant I had grown tired of those darned Green Hill Zone aesthetics.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The parkour system sounds very much like the way Link would run up and climb walls in Skyward Sword, presumably without tiring after five seconds. I can imagine this working well.

I'm glad the Wisp powers are coming back, but I'm very sceptical about the touch screen controls - drawing the player's attention away from the TV screen doesn't sound like a good idea for a high speed action game. And would the player controlling Sonic be able to use Wisp powers at all in Support Mode?

I like the touch of the animals popping out of robots again, and that they'll be tied to some kind of gameplay system. Along with the Red Star Rings and Wisp powers it sounds like there'll be a real focus on finding secrets rather than just finishing the stages.

Also, more screenshots: http://uk.ign.com/images/games/sonic-lo ... 8b3250e224

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I actually got a little motion sickness from that trailer. Doesn't matter, since I don't own a wii. I do think the game does look pretty cool though and wish the game came out on other systems.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I really think it looks cool too. It's a shame I'm not planning to splurge for a Wii U in the near future.

I like the aesthetic, but it looks a bit more, uh, Nintendo-y than I expected. Take out the corkscrews and the loop-de-loops, and the setting wouldn't look terribly out of place in your typical Mario or Kirby game. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Eh. I'm not liking the screenshots so far.. it's too cute, and way too much like Mario. And Sega, please, stop rehashing Green Hill!

I'll check out the trailer later tonight, but so far I am very unimpressed.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Press Release
Rise Against The Deadly Six
Platforms
Wii U™, Nintendo 3DS™
When the Deadly Six threaten to destroy his world, Sonic's new moves and power-ups are the only way to defeat them before it's too late!

In his latest plot to defeat Sonic and rule the world, Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures known as the Deadly Six. However, when the Deadly Six rise up against their new master, Sonic must unite with his arch nemesis Eggman and explore the mystical Lost Hex in order to take them on head-to-head. Use Sonic's amazing new moves and incredible Color Powers to speed across a variety of unique terrains, racing inside, outside and upside down in every level.

NEW MOVES
Sonic moves like never before. Vault over obstacles, free run up and along walls, and sky dive between islands at lightning speed. Plus the Spin Dash is back!

COLOR POWERS
New and improved Color Powers. Sonic can now fly through the air, tear up levels and explode into enemies. He's more powerful than ever!

NEW WORLD
Speed through a variety of exhilarating levels. Explore massive mind-bending courses, vast underground tunnels and colossal structures in the sky as you run inside, outside and upside down.

BOSS BATTLES
Save the world one fight at a time. Take on each of the devious Deadly Six in dynamic boss battles which test all of Sonic's moves and power-ups.

MULTIPLAYER
Race friends in high speed multiplayer races. Take them down across a range of ultra-competitive levels and modes - it's the ultimate supersonic showdown!

Wii U EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:

Wield the Wii U GamePad to execute exclusive Color Powers – tilt, touch, aim and more.
Someone wants to watch TV? No problem! Play the full game using only the Wii U GamePad screen.
Share and charge up items by sending them into the Miiverse to share with players around the world.
Play together. Have a friend pilot radio controlled gadgets to help Sonic by destroying enemies and obstacles.
Race against a friend as you play on the Wii U GamePad screen and they play on the TV.

NINTENDO 3DS EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:
The first handheld Sonic game ever to feature fully realized 3D levels.
Unleash Color Powers exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version.
Exclusive Special Stages! Tilt using the Motion Sensor to navigate hair-raising levels and obtain the elusive Chaos Emeralds.
Create and customize radio controlled gadgets to help Sonic.
Race against friends through local and online game modes.
PLUS: Share your gadgets between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions.
And a little bit about the storyline on the Sega Blog.
Dr. Eggman has harnessed the power of six menacing creatures collectively known as the Deadly Six, but when the Deadly Six rise up against their master, Sonic has to unite with his arch nemesis in order to take on the new enemies head-on. Using his dynamic new parkour moves and improved Color Powers, Sonic must run, jump and race through a variety of ever-changing terrains in order to defeat the Deadly Six.