Sonic "Story Comics" and other comics

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Sonic "Story Comics" and other comics

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

big_smile wrote:The most interesting is the cowboy Sonic exhibition which features unseen artwork our favourite hedgehog as a native American.

^_^
Oh, man, I'm totally going to make this my permanent avatar (pending you aren't planning to do so yourself).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Unfortunately, the photo is at a really bad angle. You can barely make it out.

It's a shame, with a little bit of art direction, this book could have been awesome.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Does anyone know where I could get an image of the Sonic art in this photo? It'd look swell on my guitar. http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/ ... 561863.jpg

In fact, is there a good source for any of that old retro-y art?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Oh cool BS, though I'm sorry to hear it was a bit disappointing. Though it looks like you have a pretty rare collectable, anyway! I'll be looking forward to the scans!
Popcorn wrote:Does anyone know where I could get an image of the Sonic art in this photo? It'd look swell on my guitar. http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g116/ ... 561863.jpg

In fact, is there a good source for any of that old retro-y art?
I think for a purpose like that you'd just want to trace over the art at high res or in Illustrator or something rather than trying to find something online.

I would totally use that pencil case. I'm just sayin.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Speaking of old art:

Does an English version of this exist? I know there are a few polyglots hereabouts. *HINTFUCKINGHINT*

Also, I recall submitting an inquiry about the identification of Sonic the Screensaver's signed artist for an Naoto Ohshima Q&A. Whatever came of it? Has anyone thought to ask any other privy party?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Naoto Ohshima Q&A? I googled that and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNHQQivUZE

What the fuck?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

What the fuck?
Oh yeah. That was a real piece of embarrassment. I don't think he ended up answering any questions, at least not any that were any good.
HINTFUCKINGHINT
Rude! :O

I'm sure this one's been done before, it's kind of a color/detail guide. A semi-translation not concerned with getting everything right:
*He's mainly circles.
*Eyelids are flesh-colored.
*His mouth is red, something about american characters.
*Shoe colors are like Santa Claus.
*"Michael Jackson's Dancing Shot Boots"
*Buckles are gold
*Doesn't really have eyebrows, his head is round when his eyes get wide.
*His nose is a little elongated (characteristic of hedgehogs)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Pop!

Scans of all the pages of this internal booklet of old model art are kindly hosted over at Retro: http://info.sonicretro.org/Sonic_the_He ... Collection

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

G.Silver wrote:
HINTFUCKINGHINT
Rude! :O
Sorry, I meant for that to humorously draw attention to my lack of subtlety, not to come off as commanding.

Anyway, you're a gentleman & a scholar, and you have my sincere gratitude.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Sonic was such a cute character. Now he looks like an asshole.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Sorry, I meant for that to humorously draw attention to my lack of subtlety, not to come off as commanding.
Anyway, you're a gentleman & a scholar, and you have my sincere gratitude.
No worries, and I wanted to know what it said too, sooo...

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Esrever, I give u biiiig kiss. Never seen those before. Awesome.
Malchik wrote:Sonic was such a cute character. Now he looks like an asshole.
He really was cute, but he really did have attitude, too. It's a balancing act that's never been repeated. In Sonic Generations, his "old" model looks chubby, almost teddy-like. He's supposed to be cool, isn't he?

I still think the SA redraw is awesome, but it got stale really quick. In SA1 in particular it was a lot more crazy and out-there than it has been since.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

G.Silver wrote:
What the fuck?
Oh yeah. That was a real piece of embarrassment. I don't think he ended up answering any questions, at least not any that were any good.
"Which character are you most proud of creating?"
"Soniku desu."

Guess that solves that one.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Popcorn wrote:Esrever, I give u biiiig kiss. Never seen those before. Awesome.
Malchik wrote:Sonic was such a cute character. Now he looks like an asshole.
He really was cute, but he really did have attitude, too. It's a balancing act that's never been repeated.
This was touched upon in the old Sega Video Game Illustrations book. With Tails being such a cute character in Sonic 2, they intentionally decided to place more emphasis on Sonic's "saucy smartness".

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Oh cool, I've always wanted to take a look at that book. I guess I didn't want it badly enough to like, look for scans, or something.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Remember, I posted scans of that book a couple of years ago. I'm sure they are still around here somewhere. I will look for them and post them again.
Naoto Ohshima Q&A? I googled that and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKNHQQivUZE

What the fuck?
In the interview, Oshima says something about Mighty, but his comments are untranslated. Does anyone know what he said?

^_^

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

My Japanese is pretty basic, but I think he said something along the lines of "This entire thing is Mighty embarrassing."

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Is there a link to the Mighty part?
Popcorn wrote:My Japanese is pretty basic, but I think he said something along the lines of "This entire thing is Mighty embarrassing."

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

The Mighty part is at around 20:25. The interpreter actually does translate Ohshima's response, it just wasn't that clear on the MP3 of this interview that I listened to when it first came out.

Basically, one of the questions is "Was Mighty one of the original designs for Sonic?". It takes the interview team a long time to phrase the question (they start asking at 16:24), and although Ohshima's answer gets muddled in the discussion, it seems the answer is "no".

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I think Mighty was the result of the team just trying to make a character look in-universe, following Naoto Ohshima's early formula.

I actually like both Mighty and Ray's design. Some call them lazy but I think they fit right at home with early Sonic.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

One of things I really like about Sega Sonic Arcade is that it does a good job of giving Ray and Mighty plenty of personality. In the artwork, they might look like Sonic knock-offs, but in-game they feel distinctive. However, I never understood why they had to create two new characters, when they could have just used Tails.

Here are the scans from the Sega Video Game Illustration book (I am still sorting out the scans from the Sonic fan book).
Gosh, these scans were made in 2004. Have I really been posting on The GHZ for that long?

Also, here's a pic that was in my scan archives. I had posted it back in 2004.
metal-sonic.jpg
metal-sonic.jpg (352.67 KiB) Viewed 14227 times
From memory, I think it came from my sister's A-level fashion book (because Metal Sonic is a British Fashion icon?). I think the book had some crazy explanation stating that Metal Sonic is one of the many forms Sonic uses to battle Dr Robotnik. Either way, it's neat seeing it again.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Isn't that M. Sonic art from Chaotix? I seem to remember seeing it in Gems Collection museum.
big_smile wrote: In the interview, Oshima says something about Mighty, but his comments are untranslated. Does anyone know what he said?

^_^
I'm pretty sure SegaSonic Arcade was developed concurrently with CD & 2 without direct involvement from any ST alum, which is presumably why Ray exists at all.

According to David the Lurker from an afore-linked thread, Manabu Kusunoki created Mighty & Ray. He's also credited in Chaotix as an "original character concept", along with Naoto Ohshima (Sonic & Eggman) Takashi Yuda (Knuckles), Kazuyoshi Hoshino (Metal Sonic), Takumi Miyake, and Yasufumi Soejima. The latter two are presumably responsible for Espio and Charmy (and therefore Amy?).

Now I'm wondering if Ohshima created "Sonic Band" in its entirety, and is therefore Vector's creator. (I really hope he isn't once-bitten-twice-shy towards Q&As)

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm pretty sure that was all Oshima. Or at least, the drawings we have Madonna and the band look like his work! (Although I suppose it's possible he was drawing the characters based on someone else's designs.) His drawings have a pretty distinct style to them.

I've been trying to figure out who drew all those super detailed constructiony pencil sketches, like the one of Tails here:
Is it Uekawa? If so, it feels like his work actually loses a little something when they ink it and layer on those colour gradients!

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

If credits are anything to go by, Uekawa's first games with Sega were Ristar and Astal, before Sonic Team grabbed him up.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Esrever wrote:(Although I suppose it's possible he was drawing the characters based on someone else's designs.)
Yeah, that's what I meant. Though looking at it:

Vector's is a little non-standard (joints and muscles!). This could mean that someone else added him in, or we need to reassess what constitutes proper design if the progenitor himself breaks them. *sorta kidding*
Esrever wrote:His drawings have a pretty distinct style to them.
Don't I know it!