Sonic 1 and 2 getting Sonic CD style remakes

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
big_smile
Drano Master

Sonic 1 and 2 getting Sonic CD style remakes

Post by big_smile »

http://www.tssznews.com/2013/03/26/soni ... d-android/
^ This is (potentially) exciting. Sonic 1 & 2 are going to be remade Sonic CD style. Christian Whitehead (Taxman) and Simon Thomley (Stealth) are behind it, which is great, as Stealth's portofilo is bursting with Sonic ports that all have fairly nifty new ideas.

New features confirmed include a re-mastered sound track, widescreen support and a spin dash for Sonic 1.
Disappointedly, its only for iOS and Android. I am a bit puzzled by Sega's strategy as not only are these games are already on iOS, but Sega is releasing these remastered versions as updates, which means they will most likely be free to existing owners.

I hope that doesn't mean they will have tiny budgets that will limit the scope for extras.

Apparently all their mobile games are going to get similar updates, which makes it even more strange that they wont be charging for them.

^_^

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: Sonic 1 and 2 getting Sonic CD style remakes

Post by G.Silver »

Slide to Play also noted that a SEGA executive indicated that future Genesis games on digital marketplaces would receive the remastering treatment, by casually stating “that was the plan.”
Sounds like they mean digital marketplaces in general, not just mobile?

Edit: Actually visiting Slide to Play, they don't appear to say anything about digital marketplaces at all, so that's kind of misleading. According to Slide to Play the Sonic 1 port on mobile is horrible, so if sales also reflect that horribleness I suppose it does make sense that they'd do this, but it's still weird that they wouldn't do other platforms as well. I'd buy it on PC, but not on mobile.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

This... really doesn't seem particularly exciting or interesting to me. The difference between Sonic 1 & 2 and Sonic CD is that prior to the 2011 rerelease of Sonic CD the only rereleases were a couple of pretty shoddy ports. In comparison Sonic 1 & 2 have been rereleased on just about every recent format and they're usually near perfect emulations. It just seems like another excuse for Sega to just play it safe and make money from their back catalogue of games.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Word going around on Retro is that these remakes are testing the ground for something more, people have suggested a remake of Sonic 3 or maybe a new classic Sonic game built on Taxman's Retro Engine. The remakes are probably being released on the usual digital platforms later (aka everything but Nintendo consoles), hopefully this time done in-house so we don't end up with ports of ports.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Neo wrote:Word going around on Retro is that these remakes are testing the ground for something more, people have suggested a remake of Sonic 3 or maybe a new classic Sonic game built on Taxman's Retro Engine.
You talking about all that cryptic, smug winking and nudging from all the site staff to buy the thing? I took that to mean one of them had something to gain for their ego from this project.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

This is good news since Whitehead's Sonic CD port update was superb. I hope these eventually make their way to other systems (especially PC).

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Gaz wrote: It just seems like another excuse for Sega to just play it safe and make money from their back catalogue of games.
I think Sega gets too much stick for their ports, especially as their recent efforts have been fairly decent. Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic CD and NiGHTS all had extra features and modes. Granted, the extras weren't as brilliant as they could have been and the games themselves also had a lot of bugs. But most of these games were sold under £10, so it's hard to complain. In the 2000s we would have to pay full price for re-releases and they often had less extras.

Plus, Sega's new focus on ports has saved us from cash-ins such as Sonic 4 and Sonic Storybook. They also seem to be taking their time with the main Sonic titles (For example, its over a year since Sonic Generations and there is still no news on the next main Sonic game). I think Sega seems to have finally found a wining strategy.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'll buy this if it's released on PlayStation Network. The Time Attack mode alone makes it worthwhile, one of the few things Sonic Jam got wrong was only offering Time Attack in "Normal" mode (as opposed to "Original"), and only as Sonic in all four games.

If supporting this leads to a similar treatment for Sonic 3 & Knuckles, then all the better, especially if it's anything like the "Sonic 3 Complete" fan hack.
big_smile wrote:Plus, Sega's new focus on ports has saved us from cash-ins such as Sonic 4 and Sonic Storybook. They also seem to be taking their time with the main Sonic titles (For example, its over a year since Sonic Generations and there is still no news on the next main Sonic game). I think Sega seems to have finally found a wining strategy.
The last three Christmas seasons have seen top notch Sonic releases (Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed). It seems like they've finally got a good level of quality control for the home console titles, and are moving in a sensible direction for mobile phone releases. It's just time for them to start treating the handheld console games seriously, aside from Sonic Rush Adventure they've all been sub-standard.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Obviously I'd prefer to see nothing but high quality original games come out of Sonic Team, but since that's unlikely, these iOS ports are relatively inoffensive.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Well, I certainly hope that the "remastered" soundtracks are optional. Sounds good though, I'll probably give these a try, especially if they're in widescreen. As Penguin said, I hope that we'll eventually see an S3&K release in the same vain as the awesome Sonic 3 Complete.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I sure hope not! Either that or they hire Tiddles and me when they do so!

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Crazy Penguin wrote:especially if it's anything like the "Sonic 3 Complete" fan hack.
I... I will play this thing.

Neo

Post by Neo »

If you haven't played it yet then personally I'd ask you to wait a bit longer for the next release. We've added all the crazy Flying Battery shenanigans with it coming after Carnival Night and everything that entails, along with a bunch of graphical tweaks and new gameplay options to boot. Only question right now is when it's actually coming out...

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Neo wrote:I sure hope not! Either that or they hire Tiddles and me when they do so!
I know the project has been "public domain" up until now, but have either of you considered actually approached Sega about directly about making a commercial version?

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Pepperidge wrote:Well, I certainly hope that the "remastered" soundtracks are optional.
They're nothing to worry about.

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php? ... t&p=736345
To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Pepperidge wrote:I know the project has been "public domain" up until now, but have either of you considered actually approached Sega about directly about making a commercial version?
Can't speak for Tiddles, but I surely haven't! I don't think there's really a chance given the relatively dead-end nature of what we're doing -- editing the Mega Drive game, writing 68k assembly code, music sequences for the Z80 sound driver and palettized art files for the (64-color!) VDP. But maybe in some weird dystopian future we'll have a chance to reproduce our work in the open skies of the Retro Engine and actually get money for it? One can certainly dream.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Crazy Penguin wrote:
To clarify on the whole 'Remastering' thing:

The arrangements are identical to the originals, using FM synthesis. But they have been put together in a DAW environment and given an actual mix as opposed to simply recording the existing music. The Drum samples are sourced from the original synthesiser so they're super clean and crisp too.
Awww....! I really loved the remixes in Sonic Generations (especially the music that plays in the White Space) and was hoping for something similar for this. Granted, it did say remastered and not remix, but some fresh new sounds would have been a real treat.

^_^

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's nice to see SEGA prioritizing getting their mobile stuff in order. Their more recent ports have been pretty solid -- Crazy Taxi even has the original music again, finally! -- but the iOS Sonic ports and other earlier Genesis conversions are really awful and stick out like a sore thumb in their back catalog.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

It looks like it has a new version of the Japanese story... Interesting.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The level select now contains a secret options menu, with a few surprises.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2Jj6fWBRE

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Crazy Penguin wrote:The level select now contains a secret options menu, with a few surprises.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL2Jj6fWBRE
I-Is that Splats?!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's pretty wild. Such a slick port. You can really tell it was made by fans.

Tails and Knuckles aren't just unlockable... they have a few alternate routes and shortcuts inserted, as well. And then with cheat codes you can implement Sonic 2 or 3 style items (element shields included), up the Emerald count to 7 (with a 7th bonus stage to match), or access an improved debug mode that lets you place a lot of now fully functional versions of famous cut items (like Splats, the rolling ball, the Marble Zone UFOs and the Goggle powerup.)

And for what it's worth, the game supports the iCade controller protocol... so there are options for physical controllers, especially on Android or with a jailbroken ios device.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Yeah, this is a fantastic port, just like Sonic CD. Maybe even better with all the bonus crap thrown in. I still feel like waiting for it to hit Steam so I can play it without the touch screen controls.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

On Android, you can download Wiimote Controller to play with physical controls.

Another option is Bluestacks player for Mac/Pc. However, it seems that when Bluestack is running, controllers don't function, so you have to use the keyboard.

The launch trailer says that the game is a mobile exclusive, so I wouldn't expect a port in the next few months.