Farewell, Seabelly Riverback

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Farewell, Seabelly Riverback

Post by Neo »

http://umi.agatsuma-games.jp/

Makes me pretty anxious since the 3DS is region-locked. And the title doesn't make any sense! She just got back, and now she's going away again!?

Also shut up this is the only place I can be enthusiastic about niche video game series without feeling like this

Crowbar

Re: Farewell, Seabelly Riverback

Post by Crowbar »

Woah, how have I never heard about this game? From videos it looks like playing rope-only games in Worms Armageddon/Worms World Party, and I spent probably at least two summers completely addicted to that shit.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crowbar wrote:Woah, how have I never heard about this game? From videos it looks like playing rope-only games in Worms Armageddon/Worms World Party, and I spent probably at least two summers completely addicted to that shit.
Well, I wouldn't blame you. We've only had a short-lived topic (doubt this one will fare much better) along with a few scattered thoughts. Incidentally, I will never be able to find a post written by my past self that doesn't make me want to punch through time. Nor will I ever clear those last few levels.

It's a lot like Worms in that it's all about split-second input to control your trajectory and fly majestically through the air, as though the levels were not insane torture devices crafted by soulless old men, but it also ends up playing quite differently because the string is very rubbery, something which can work for you, or against you. Or against a bed of spikes.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I have to admit with the DS version still perfectly good (and not excessively played, tbh) in my 3DS I'm not losing any sleep over the possibility that this might stay in Japan, but hopefully with the eShop available as an option we might get it over here in a fairly inexpensive form.

Neo

Post by Neo »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_I58QoqsE0

Now if there's a series I think doesn't benefit from 3D graphics, it's this one.

But hey! You can play as Umihara With Boobs and Umihara Without Boobs! And also two characters nobody's ever heard of because they just made them up for some reason. Yay.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I guess I should give this topic some sort of closure. The game is now available from Nintendo eShop in the US for $29.99 as Yumi's Odd Odyssey, published by Natsume, and in Europe for €24.99 as Sayonara UmiharaKawase (why the weird kerning?), published by Agatsuma themselves. This is a day where I'm infinitely grateful for broadband Internet and digital distribution business models.

Rubberring Action!