What are the good podcasts?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

What are the good podcasts?

Post by Popcorn »

I'm "doing" podcasts at the moment.

I've been listening to lots of This American Life, because everyone tells me to, and it's more interesting than not, but there's something irritating about it. It's a bit... nice.

Are there any game podcasts that don't suck?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: What are the good podcasts?

Post by G.Silver »

I think the whole range of Stuff You Should Know podcasts are pretty good and entertaining.

For video games, I find the Insert Credit Podcast is the only one I can tolerate and, indeed, even enjoy. Instead of talking about new video games or whatever for an hour, the show host lists off game-related questions that the cast have to answer in under 6 minutes (or else they play a terrifying sound).

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I haven't listened to any good game podcasts, but there is definitely some stuff I would recommend. "How Did This Get Made?" is an excellent pick if you take joy in watching bad movies. "Ask Mr. Biggs", "The Ronna & Beverly Podcast", and "Tim & Simon: Mentor!" are all excellent comedy podcasts with differing premises and personalities. "Caustic Soda" is a trivia podcast that focuses on a different infamous subject matter (sharks, hording, Pol Pot, etc.) each week. And there's a load of various history podcasts out there. "The History of Rome" is one of the most extensive and enjoyable in my opinion.

My personal favorite now is probably "Welcome to Night Vale", a half-comedy, half-horror sort of thing where the local radio station reports on innumerable paranormal occurrences that beset a small desert town. The "weather" section features a eclectic bunch of songs that I've really grown to like.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Wired's Game|Life podcast is the only current events game podcast I listen to. The current incarnation covers the week's events and has some really good discussion. They're still fiddling with the format a bit but I think it's a pretty safe bet for regular, unpretentious gaming news/views.

OTHER PODCASTS

Planet Money and Radiolab are both really great.

Cartoon Book Club is good so far.

Sinica is the best China news and issues podcast out there, released weekly. (Not that I expect anyone here to give a shit.) Also worth a listen: the excellent China History Podcast.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Popcorn wrote:I'm "doing" podcasts at the moment.

I've been listening to lots of This American Life, because everyone tells me to, and it's more interesting than not, but there's something irritating about it. It's a bit... nice.

Are there any game podcasts that don't suck?
Yeah, This American Life can get grating on the nerves really quickly. I honestly think it has to do with just so goddamn formulaic the program has become. I enjoy getting my heartstrings tugged as much as the next guy, but after a while it starts to get obnoxious.

As for podcast recommendations, I don't know if you're a dragon ball nut but if you are:

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/

They've got over 300 episodes on file and if you have ANY interest in DB, I heartily recommend it. They are well informed and generally entertaining.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I also find the insert credit podcast pretty amusing. Warning! A Huge Podcast exclusively focuses on Japanese games and is hosted by some ex-GameFan/Play guys. They haven't updated in a while though. The selectbutton.net podcast is probably one of my favorites, they just get people from the forums who want to be on it, so most of the time it's a pretty good mix of opinions with lots of different insight. Their recent episode on voice-acting was pretty excellent.

Also Retronauts, which kind of varies depending on who's on and how enthused they are with what they're talking about. Their Sonic one a few years back was pretty week.

In terms of other stuff I listen to Anime World Order and ANN Cast for anime, Filmspotting and The Greatest Movie EVER for movies, and Radiolab for pop science wankery.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

The 5by5 network is kind of huge among nerds right now. It tends to focus on geek interests, particularly centred around Apple, but they have been trying to broaden a little lately. I really like Hypercritical, which occasionally covers video games, but it's about to end its run. I think there are only 2 episodes left to be recorded, one of which should be broadcast tonight.

As for good gaming podcasts... I have been looking for a long time, but I haven't had much luck. Most gaming podcasts consist of a collection of 20-somethings talking about what games they played that week, which is a format that pretty much precludes any insight or serious discussion.

The Brainy Gamer podcast is the best I've found, which often does in-depth discussions with actual big-name game developers. The problem is that its updates are extremely sporadic, as the man behind it is an academic and his guests are usually very busy people. This was the podcast that eventually persuaded me to try Demon's Souls after it was recommended by basically every guest on the show.

Watch Out for Fireballs is a reflective look at popular retro games by a pair of admittedly amateur enthusiasts, which is often worth a listen. It wouldn't be remarkable except that there are just so few good alternatives.

Those are the only ones I listen to. I've been getting into podcasts a bit more since I started having a 1 hour commute into work, so I'll be following up on some suggestions in this thread myself.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Thank you.

Everyone who made suggestions in this thread will now not be banned.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Surprise resurrection!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/fun ... d642181963

My new favorite Podcast is a sadly limited-run project (it might come back, from the sound of things) that is coming up with its final episode (of six). It's "FUN with Kevin Gifford & his Pretend Pals" (said pals have yet to appear, they may be even more pretend than originally suspected. The Podcast is mostly just a really nice selection of retro game tunes, but often pulling from surprising places, like MSX or PC88 titles, pinball machine music (I didn't even know they HAD music), and other surprises. I don't think most people are likely to recognize much of anything, but listeners are encouraged to rack their brains to recall the ones they do recognize because the podcast will rarely tell you what's playing, but Kevin's homepage, http://www.magweasel.com will. Periodically there's a break in the music and Kevin will talk about a bit of industry history, his own history in the industry, or a little bit of "current news" but the majority of the topics are pretty evergreen so it doesn't matter how old the podcast is. These talky bits are interesting and just short enough to not outstay their welcome and I'd be happy to have them go on longer, but the music is the real star. It's a great one to listen to while drawing and I've actually listened to a couple more than once, just because I like the music.

This is the same guy who translated The Phantom of Akihabara, incidentally.