"The Same Old Blues" or "A Study in Scarlet"

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

"The Same Old Blues" or "A Study in Scarlet"

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So! Didja do your democratic duty 'n' vote? I did, and the smell of permanent marker and old church gym still wafts in my nostrils. I know it lacks the "hoopla" of the '08(!) election, but I thought "whatever gets a new dialogue (or whatever) going in this dead-ass place." (but mostly I recently read all the canonical Sherlock Holmes and couldn't resist the aptness of the reference).

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: "The Same Old Blues" or "A Study in Scarlet"

Post by FlashTHD »

If I recall, didn't Gibbon lock the last politics thread?

(then again since when has he been around hurhurhur)

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

The '08 election thread(s) weren't locked so I figured "why not?"

It's not like I'm asking who you voted for. Or why. Or whatever.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I did! In Washington state we have mail-in ballots, it's pretty much the easiest thing, I think all registered voters get them. You can still vote in a booth if you're into that sort of thing, but you can also just stay home like I did. I just take this for granted and am always astonished that it isn't a nationwide thing, they apparently made it state-wide last year but many counties have been doing it for longer than I've been voting.

That's probably the secret to how we just legalized marijuana and "redefined" marriage, all on the same ballot. (Edit: excuse me, we "passed a referendum" on marijuana--not actually legal yet)

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I didn't get to legalize pot... but I got to vote on being able to vote on a Canada-U.S. bridge! Fuck yeah!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I think it's safe to say that the world breathed a sigh of relief today.

Legalizing pot and gay marriage is awesome. I'm a little bummed out that the death penalty won't be abolished in California, though. I thought that was an easy sell, but then again I have noticed that people in the US have very strange ideas about the death penalty.

It's interesting that people are reporting that the Obama campaign outspent Romney - it is consistent with the hypothesis that US elections are won by the strength of spending, though.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

The big thing in Iowa this election was a voter initiative to oust the judges whose rulings legalized gay marriage here in 2009. Well, that was defeated. That and Republicans aren't going to control the state senate, so passing an amendment to limit marriage to a man and woman isn't going to happen for the foreseeable future :)

CM August

Post by CM August »

I too am relieved about the the outcome, but damn those voting queues looked horrendous. I have a renewed appreciation for our silky-smooth electoral commission.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Dr.Bugman, I take it you're in Michigan as well?

I was disappointed that I didn't get a "I Voted Today" sticker. Everyone else at work was wearing one, but they didn't give them out at the church I voted at.

This was the first election that I wasn't excited to vote. I realized this after filling in the second bubble.