Favourite games console?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
smiths32

Favourite games console?

Post by smiths32 »

From the Atari 2600 to the Xbox, console gaming has gone through a lot: from 8 bit to 128 bit; 2d to 3d; Mario to Sonic; Dragon Quest to Final Fantasy. A lot has happened, and each and every little machine has its own claim to fame. But out of all of them, there is lways one that shines in our hearts, what's it for you? What is your favourite games console of all time?

My favourite would have to be the Mega Drive: it was the first ever games console I ever had, and has so many of my favourite games and series, Sonic, Rocket Knight Adventures, Ri-Star, Toe Jam and Earl and, of course, Phantasy Star.

DarkPrime

Post by DarkPrime »

Currently, I'd have to say my fave is my trusty DC. 'Tis an awful thing to die so young.

In my opinion, it had everything: Small, Lots of good games, 4 players, modem, and the sheer fact that everything was inexpensive (compared to some other consoles). My runner-up would be the Genesis.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

Genesis/Megadrive all the way. No 16-bit console can compare.
I also really like the Dreamcast. Believe it or not, it's actually superior to the Gamecube. <b>Comes with</b> a modem, can at least play audio CDs, you can surf the web, and then there's the VMU, which is nifty.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Saturn. A truckload of great arcade ports alongt with NiGHTS, Panzer Dragoon trilogy, Burning Rangers and Sonic Jam. And it was back when I was into games the most, nothing else will ever compare to it.

Neo Yi

Post by Neo Yi »

The Super Nintendo. All those countless hours spending time playing them Mario games. My sis is currently replaying Yoshi's Island (well, trying to get 100 in all the level, she's doing a good job so far).
~Neo

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I'd have to say the Dreamcast. I simply had more fun playing it than any other console.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Saturn, if only for Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Segata

Post by Segata »

1. Dreamcast
2. Super Nintendo
3. PlayStation

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Saturn, because no game has ever meant as much to me as NiGHTS.

...although the PSX is nice. And the Genesis. And the Gamecube is kinda cute.

Oh hell.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's not really a fair question to ask in a place like this, where I think I speak for the majority when I say that we were mostly Sega kids.

It's a really difficult call for me. Of course it was the Genny and Sonic that altered the trajectory of my adolescence, but, believe it or not, I have a very strong emotional connection with the Sega CD, which was the first game console I saved up and bought with my own money. I only ever owned six games for it, only three of which were any damn good. Still, it was the first system that made me think: "Hey... I can save up and buy it. I don't have to not own that!"

Then there was the Saturn, which was around the time I was finally making enough money to just buy games on a regular basis, so I still remember that as the first system of my "hardcore" era. Then there was the Dreamcast, which was the first system I ever planned ahead and bought on launch day.

Psxphile

Post by Psxphile »

Delphine wrote:...although the PSX is nice.
Thanks.

Rpgs being the lifeblood that got me through my childhood and adolescense, I nominate both the SNES and the PSOne. Naturally, I also have a soft spot for the Genny...

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Popcorn's a fag. It must be the British water.

Eh... Dreamcast is number one for me. Too many awesome games in such a short time. Everything about the system was beautiful.

Genesis is probably second. All my favorite classics are on it... I'd list them, but you all know which games I'm thinking about.

For this current generation, I don't think I can really pick a favorite. I like the Xbox's features, I like the GameCube just for the quirky Nintendo titles, and I haven't played enough on the PlayStation2 to make an accurate judgment. So whatever.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

genesis, mainly because it was my first console ever. i remeber that christmas day...i was 4....it came with sonic 2, which was my first game EVA!!!!!

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

"Ditto", exact same story with with me, only I was 9 when I got my Genesis that Xmas.

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

Gameboy Advance needs more love. It brought back 2D excellence. And I don't give a fuck if it's all SNES ports and stupid Pokemon sequels. I LIKE SNES PORTS AND STUPID POKEMON SEQUELS.

... what with never owning a SNES and all. And adversely, never playing Mario properly until I was 16 and on the GBA. Yeah.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

You suck.

Trog13

Post by Trog13 »

I'm going with gameboy. It's just so freaking awesome. Me and my brother are racing through zelda games (he's doing oracle of seasons, I've got the other one). But checking out these games and Link's awakening makes me remember how great gameboy is.

Light Speed
Sexified

Post by Light Speed »

I got my Genesis for no particular reason when I was 5, not to long after they came out. Long enough to get Sonic instead of Altered Beasts though. I wonder what would have happened if I got Altered Beasts instead. I can almost guarentee I wouldn't be posting here right now. I still had the most fun with my Dreamcast though. The first system I ever paid for with my own money was the PSX, and I got a sixty dollar loan from my parents. I still have not bought a console on the release date. I got my Cube close to release date and it is the only console I've paid full price for. Also I've never spent more than 200 on any one console. I always waited for them to drop for one reason or another.

BlazeHedgehog

Post by BlazeHedgehog »

Dreamcast, Playstation One, SNES, Genesis and N64 are the consoles I play on the most often.

As a somewhat related thing, and perhaps the geekiest waste of time I've ever done, I used MetaCritic (A Rotten-Tomatos-Esque site that covers Movies, Games, and Music) I learned that:

Out of 460 Xbox Games, 23 scored 90 or above (out of 100) and 38 scored 50 or lower.

Out of 793 PS2 Games, 43 scored 90 or above and 52 scored 50 or lower.

Out of 327 Gamecube Games, 23 scored 90 or above, and 27 scored 50 or lower.

Percentages thereof:

Gamecube - 7% (90^), 8.3% (50v)
PS2 - 5.4% (90^), 6.6 (50v)
Xbox - 5% (90^), 8.3% (50v)

Don't you feel better knowing that? :P

CE

Post by CE »

That made me wonder, how does the Dreamcast stand up?

15 out of 145 scored 90 or above.
10 out of 145 scored 50 or below.

That makes 10.3% > 90 and 6.8% < 50. I always said the Dreamcast has the best quality/crap ratio of any system yet!

What would be really interesting is to see this information plotted on a curve, since the cutoff at 90 is somewhat arbitrary. Shouldn't be too hard to put the data into a spreadsheet and get one of those nice little graphs.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Of course it was the Genny and Sonic that altered the trajectory of my adolescence
Here here.

It's definitly a tossup between Genesis and Saturn, though I find I remember more games I liked on the Genesis, and I definitly have a strange attachment to my SegaCD as well (I don't think I'd be playing Time Gal right now if I didn't... ok, I'm also playing Time Gal because she doesn't wear much clothing.)

hello.jpg

Post by hello.jpg »

Segaholic2 wrote:You suck.
Fuck you, Asian man. Go play with your small penis or something.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The Dreamcast is the only console to which I ever developed any emotional attachment. I've never been as excited about gaming as I was in the short time that it was supported. Sonic Adventure, Shenmue, Rez, Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Samba, Soul Calibur, Seaman, Ecco, Rayman 2... so many truly outstanding titles and innovative ideas in so little time. For a little while, it was almost impossible for me to feel jaded about video games.

NOT LIKE NOW

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I think the game system I've enjoyed (and "used") more than any other (until now) was the N64. Not only I had a bunch of great games (unlike the SNES), I also rented a lot of good ones too (unlike the GCN).
Oh, and f**k you, Popcorn (somehow, I hate the N-Gage more than the PSX, altough it failed espetacularmente).