Co op games reccomendations

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Co op games reccomendations

Post by Cuckooguy »

Since I was young I've always had the opportunity to play co op games with one of my 2 sisters, and still am able to. Heck I used to watch them play single player games all the time when we used to live together because I was interested in seeing how they would tackle the game. Since Chip 'n' Dale on the NES, there's been the 1.5 play of Sonic and Tails, Toejam and Earl, Toejam and Earl 2, arcade beat-em-ups such as X-Men or Simpsons, Sonic Adventure, some Tales of Symphonia, Resident Evil 5, and after playing the game for myself I would usually be the co-star in the Mario Galaxy games, assisting them. In a game like RE5, I played it twice, once with my younger sis and once with my older sis.

My younger sister recently came back after studying abroad and is now on a break for a spell, and while she's here she wanted to play some games. Against my judgment she was looking forward to and started playing Skyward Sword (she enjoyed Twilight Princess) with me assisting by explaining how to control and hints and whatnot but I doubt she will have the patience to finish it due to it, well, being Skyward Sword (we got to the entrance of the 2nd dungeon), so I moved her to Heavy Rain in my interest in seeing how the game would unfold for her and I know she would dig that sort of game.

Anyway, right now to take advantage of her being here, I'm in need of co-op games! I'm eyeing Dead Nation, Borderlands, and Portal 2, though I don't know to what extent co-op plays in the former 2 (are they like single player campaigns but with co-op or is it a completely separate mode with no narrative?).

Anyone know of any games made recently that they suspect or know has a good co-op campaign?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Cuckooguy wrote:...are they like single player campaigns but with co-op...
Yes.

I have been really enjoying playing Diablo 3 with friends in the same room. It's the perfect game for it. Usually, it leaves you with enough brain power to hold a conversation, but there are still moments when your enemies become a serious threat -- then suddenly, everyone is concentrating entirely on the game. Trading useful items keeps you working as a team, looking out for each other -- and finding inter-class skill combinations in the field is thoroughly satisfying.

Splinter Cell: Conviction's co-op is really fun and sometimes really hard. It will probably serve as a test of your patience with your partner since you will each likely be spotted and killed over and over.

If you are both badasses, you could try going for SS ranks in RE5's Mercenaries. The Mercenaries Reunion DLC is much easier and in that way more fun.

Crisis

Re: Co op games reccomendations

Post by Crisis »

Left 4 Dead 2 is the best co-op experience I've played that's still commercially available. The first game approaches Portal levels of subconsciously training players (seriously, even the intro movie is a tutorial) but the sequel is better at everything else.

Since you have a Wii you might as well try New Super Mario Brothers Wii. The multiplayer mode is not particularly well balanced and you'll probably never get a Game Over, but you will inevitably descend into screwing each other over as the game repeatedly bombards you with the prisoner's dilemma.

World of Warcraft gets a reluctant recommendation for being the best game in its class. It's just a shame that the development team have jumped off the deep end.

Magicka is a quirky Swedish Diablo rip-off with amusing dialogue and a central mechanic that's interesting for about 5 minutes until you figure out how to break the game. The rest of it is spent developing RSI. More fun in co-op where the main challenge is not killing each other with death beams or lightning.