jet set radio coming to xbla psn

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Re: jet set radio coming to xbla psn

Post by j-man »

News!

September 18 for PSN, 19 for XBLA/Steam, low low prices all round. Let the good times roll!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I'll save my enthusiasm until after release. I have little faith that Sega can do anything competent with it's back-catalog.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

...awesome!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I'm excited! I've never played JSR before, and I don't really know what to expect, aside from the soundtrack.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Expect a lovingly designed game set in a amazingly inspired universe hindered by a control scheme that was already wonky for 2000's standards.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I heard they mapped camera controls to the second stick, and also made it so "paint" and "reposition camera behind back" are different buttons. If they combine those changes with a solid frame rate and less pop-up, they'll have corrected pretty much every one of the (limited) problems I ever had with the game. Excited!

Neo

Post by Neo »

Oh, don't get me wrong, I bloody love the game, but there was some fucked up shit like jumping while grinding and your character going completely off course and you having to fight this sudden new-found momentum to get back on the straight rail you were just riding. I'm not sure how much the Dreamcast controller was to blame, but there were definitely some bizarre occurrences here and there that had no right to ever happen.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It's hard to say! I always had problems holding straight up on the Dreamcast joystick, so I always blamed that for my veering off-angle jumps from the rails. But it very well may have been an issue right in the game! It certainly did happen to me.

It ain't perfect, but like you, I do still love it so. There's something so gloriously cohesive about the whole project. (I do generally prefer Future, but of course it's a very different game in a lot of ways, so there's something special about the original.)

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

This game is still amazing.

Some reviews I have read on this game are hating it but honestly they are idiots. The controls aren't perfect and same with the camera but personally I feel in general gamers have become more demanding and spoiled. The game's controls were tough for me at first but after playing the game for a long time I'm glad they did not change the controls at all. The only difference I can tell is that the right stick can also control the camera but I am so used to this game I have not used it.

The music is all in hear except for yappie feet by deavid soul. Miller ball breakers is still in the game and they also put in all the tracks from the european game.

Also there is a short documentary which is pretty cool.

Overall this game is great, maybe my perspective on this game is warped by the twelve year nostalgia but whatever, I'm having a ton of fun playing this game right now.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I'm really enjoying it, too. Adding the second stick camera and removing the "graffiti cam" during one-shot sprays are great moves... I just wish they'd also mapped the recenter-camera and spray functions to different buttons. (Instead, they just give you an option of disabling re-center camera.) It would also have been nice to see them model out that one weird flat part of Shibuya, but I never really figured there'd be much chance of that.

All in all, I'm just happy to be playing a version of JSR with a few camera tweaks and no framerates drops or weird texture popping. It feels like an old, unpolished game... but it feels like an AWESOME old, unpolished game.

I've heard that the only missing songs are Yappie Feet and Many Styles, but when I played through the two American levels the mix of songs was entirely from the European version. Not a trace of Rob Zombie or and of that other sludge rock. Does it just randomly pick either the American or Euro playlist for those stages when you start?

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I think the music for the regular stages are random. I also only heard the european tracks but I think I saw Rob Zombie in sound test mode.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I read somewhere that the control issues were a part of the Japanese PS2 version of the game that the HD version's updated graphics mode is derived from... but that the HD version also includes a Saturn original mode that does not have that problem. Can anyone confirm this?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Esrever wrote:I read somewhere that the control issues were a part of the Japanese PS2 version of the game that the HD version's updated graphics mode is derived from... but that the HD version also includes a Saturn original mode that does not have that problem. Can anyone confirm this?
I don't think so. I imported the PS2 version and don't recall any such problems with the graphical update. Also pretty sure that you could switch between the two on the fly.

EDIT: Yeah, check out about 3 1/2 minutes into this youtube video of the PS2 version. The loops look fine to me.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Ended up watching the whole video, and holy shit I had no idea you could beat Gillwing like that!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm skeptical about the authenticity of this item but have any of you guys heard of this before?

https://t.co/ldUaTmI4Lp

It's a prototype N64 cart with a Jet "Grind" Radio sticker on it, photographed at a retro game expo. You can see it (or another one) in this video, at the 10:30 mark: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/bp2z ... useum-tour

Seems to me that Sega would have no reason to ever do this, by the time they were looking into 3rd party development (assuming they would have started long before actually announcing it) the N64 would not have been a place to start.