jet set radio coming to xbla psn

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Majestic Joey

jet set radio coming to xbla psn

Post by Majestic Joey »

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/02/28/jet-set-contest/

Hopefully it has the extra american levels and the soundtrack is left intact. But I think I am going to try to make something for the grafitti contest.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: jet set radio coming to xbla psn

Post by Ritz »

Oh wow! Real prizes!

It's like Sega contests are the only thing that get me drawing anymore.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I smell a GHZ contest in the works. Or at least I should. Kind of bugged that they're not pushing the HUD out to the borders of the widescreen display, though. After Sonic CD I expect this shit to have some real thought put into it, and maybe a few improvements as well.

But on a related note: fuck yes!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, it IS retaining all the extra levels, but only half the original music is being kept in...

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Well, it IS retaining all the extra levels, but only half the original music is being kept in...
Rednecks!

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It sucks, but I empathise. It's hard to re-license music from record labels that no longer exist. If they ever re-release JSRF it's going to be a nightmare, half that soundtrack was published by the label owned by the Beastie Boys; which almost immediately went bankrupt. The rights to all that material have probably rocketed off in a million different directions.

It might seem ridiculous, but sometimes it can honestly be difficult just to FIGURE OUT who has all the rights to something, let alone actually license it. Companies will actually own stuff without even realizing it. Or alternately, they'll have some kind of partial rights, while another company also has partial rights, and the two won't agree on a way to split the fee.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Esrever wrote:It sucks, but I empathise. It's hard to re-license music from record labels that no longer exist. If they ever re-release JSRF it's going to be a nightmare, half that soundtrack was published by the label owned by the Beastie Boys; which almost immediately went bankrupt. The rights to all that material have probably rocketed off in a million different directions.

It might seem ridiculous, but sometimes it can honestly be difficult just to FIGURE OUT who has all the rights to something, let alone actually license it. Companies will actually own stuff without even realizing it. Or alternately, they'll have some kind of partial rights, while another company also has partial rights, and the two won't agree on a way to split the fee.
Well, it's not too bad, I guess. I could always use custom soundtracks and have all the songs on my computer.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

So SEGA has now officially announced the tracklist for this port.
From Hideki Naganuma:
-Grace and Glory
-Humming the Bassline
-Let Mom Sleep
-Moody's Shuffle
-Rock It On
-Sneakman
-Sweet Soul Brother
-That's Enough

Licensed tracks:
-Toronto - Electric Tooth Brush
-Magical Girl - Guitar Vader
-Super Brothers - Guitar Vader
-Bout the City - Reps
-Funky Radio - B.B. Rights
-Mischievous Boy - Castle Logical
-Yellow Bream - F-Fields
-Everybody Jump Around - Richard Jacques
So what's missing?
-All of the extra songs from the US and UK versions of the game
-Idol Taxi - OK House
-All the Deavid Soul tracks

The loss of the US and UK songs isn't really surprising, and to be perfectly honest, it's not much of a loss. They only play during that one short area of the game, and aside from Jurassic 5 and Mix Master Mike, they were all kind of balls. (Or at least just really out of place.)

But Deavid Soul? That might be a dealbreaker. Again, I empathize -- I'm sure it wasn't money that kept them from bringing those songs back, since Deavid Soul hasn't existed for years and god only knows where those rights went. But those songs are such a big part of the game!

I think the only real way to recover from that kind of blow is to commission some new songs from Naganuma. At least then, the loss would be balanced out by something else that would get JSR fans excited.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Bout the City - Reps

probably one of the best tracks in the game. did this group make any other songs? I seriously have searched everywhere for more music by them.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Me too! I never had any luck either. Kinda made me wonder if maybe it wasn't a "real" band... like, it was just some SEGA employees opperating under a band name?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

At least we still have the super-magically annoying Guitar Vader tracks! Some new stuff from Naganuma would be tops.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Naganuma's music from that game ollie king is pretty good and would fit JSR I think better than his Sonic Rush tracks. I wish Ollie King came to xbla because I never got to play that game yet I constantly listen to the music.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

They should just include a custom soundtrack feature and be done with it.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Man, I didn't realise Up Set Attack (by Seoul) wasn't Naganuma. It sounds exactly like his stuff.
Esrever wrote: So what's missing?

-All of the extra songs from the US and UK versions of the game
What were these songs?
I think the only real way to recover from that kind of blow is to commission some new songs from Naganuma. At least then, the loss would be balanced out by something else that would get JSR fans excited.
Maybe this is too precious of me, but the idea of Naganuma adding new tracks to this port troubles me even more than the loss of some of the old music. It would feel really intrusive, even the music were great.
Majestic Joey wrote:Bout the City - Reps

probably one of the best tracks in the game. did this group make any other songs? I seriously have searched everywhere for more music by them.
This is the same with the GTA1 soundtrack. I maintain it's one of the best game soundtracks of all time, and it was all original stuff (this was before the Rockstar bank just started licensing Michael Jackson tracks). I've never been able to find evidence of any of the bands actually having existed at all. I think they may even have had fictional band names, but then... who made the music?

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

The US songs were
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Slow - Professional Murder Music
Just Got Wicked - Cold
Patrol Knob - Mixmaster Mike
Improvise - Jurassic 5

The first three were contemporary metal that sounded out of place next to the Naganuma tracks. I'd say they were used effectively enough, being placed in darker, more challenging levels, but still not quite appropriate. Mixmaster Mike was great, and not only did Improvise assist the urban feel, it was also used as the theme for cutscenes, forever marrying it with JGR in my mind.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Re:

Post by Popcorn »

Senbei wrote:The US songs were
Dragula - Rob Zombie
Slow - Professional Murder Music
Just Got Wicked - Cold
Patrol Knob - Mixmaster Mike
Improvise - Jurassic 5
The PAL version (the one I played back in the day) had the latter three songs but none of the metal, thankfully. Were there any PAL-only songs?

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Yeah, instead of the three nu metal tracks, the PAL version had:

Feature Cast - Recipe For The Perfect Afro
O.B. One - Many Styles
Semi Detached - Funky Plucker

Stylistically, they were much better fits than Rob Zombie. But they were very simple, "groove"-based and super repetitive electronic tunes, with little of the hooky pop element that distinguishes the JSR soundtrack from, say, club music. Europeans may disagree with me on this -- they've had time to get attached to them -- but I don't personally think they'd be a big loss. The tracks with the best fit were definitely Patrol Knob and Improvise... maybe that's why they were in both!

The Japanese version actually also had an exclusive track, too... an extra Deavid Soul number called Dunny Boy Williamson Show that wasn't in the US or Euro versions. Man, I am really bummed out about the missing Deavid Soul tracks... I can't picture Benten-cho without Miller Ball Breakers. I can't imagine it would have been expensive to license them, so it must just be some kind of complicated/missing rights issue. Blah!

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I agree on every count. None of those three tracks are essential, and I probably wouldn't miss their exclusion. The only real loss here is the Seoul tracks.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Here's a trailer with the winners of the graffiti contest. They look great! I wish I could actually see them under those titles tossed over the top of the screen.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hey, so good news... they managed to secure most of the rest of the soundtrack!

http://blogs.sega.com/2012/06/01/jet-se ... more-14515

The only tracks missing are "Yappie Feet" by Deavid Soul and "Many Styles" by O.B. One (from the euro soundtrack). Not sure how or why they managed to get all the other Deavid Soul songs EXCEPT for that one, but since it's the only one missing I'm sure it must have been a pretty specific reason. (Or else they did get it and just forgot to list it.)

Neo

Post by Neo »

Quoted from an official response down in the comments section:
Presently both Yappy Feet and Many Styles are the two songs not listed in the tracklist. Sorry, we re-negotiated all of the contracts (quite a feat btw) for all of the songs and these two didn’t make it. If this changes, we would be just as happy as you would, trust us – we’re all super excited to have this list.
Yappie Feet wasn't in the original japanese release, it was added for the De La version (taking the place of Dunny Boy Williamson Show by the same artist), so that might have something to do with it? Who cares, the only thing that matters is that just they saved this port from being a poor substitute for the original. Now they just need to confirm the original japanese voice acting is still in and we're golden.

Sniffnoy

Post by Sniffnoy »

Well, it was first in the US version, not in De La. Or is the music in the US and the De La versions the same?

Neo

Post by Neo »

Sniffnoy wrote:Well, it was first in the US version, not in De La. Or is the music in the US and the De La versions the same?
Except for the death metal, yeah.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I think I'd rather a soundtrack without Jurassic Five than with Cold.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Oh, right! I keep forgetting folks from Europe never had to experience that stuff the first time around. For me, Cold, Professional Murder Music and Rob Zombie have always been an (unfortunate) part of JSR.

At least in this version they will presumably only play half as frequently, since I'm sure the in-the-US levels will now have a mix of the North American and European tracks instead of just one or the other.